Join Early Retirement Today

Why Travel?
Old 07-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why Travel?

A decidedly stupid question for some, but DW & I always struggle with it. We love seeing see new places, experiencing different cultures, etc. - but travel isn't cheap. And we've both traveled a lot growing up and in business already. We've planned several trips each year, only to talk ourselves out of it about 3 out of 4 times - thinking 'look at the other things we could do with that money.'

Here's one source's published reasons (some we can do without travel, many we can do with day trips vs more elaborate vacations):
Quote:
  1. Find Your Self-Confidence by Dealing with Unexpected Situations
  2. Happiness is Infectious
  3. Being Away Makes You Appreciate Family and Home
  4. You Make New Friends
  5. Detox from Social Media
  6. Getting Some 'You' Time
  7. Education, Education, Education
  8. Get a Vitamin D Boost
  9. You're More Interesting
  10. New Experiences Give Us Moments to Remember
  11. The Effects of Traveling Aren't Just Short-Term
11 Reasons Why Travel Makes You a Happier Person

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

#7 Education & # 10 New experiences Give Us Moments to Remember.

And a means to satisfy my curiosity of what places that we haven't yet visited are like.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I hate travelling, DW loves it. I get most of the listed benefits by staying put.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For me, traveling and experiencing different places and ways of life is pretty much the ideal way to recharge my batteries and feel truly connected to the world. I'd say #3, 7, and 10 on the list are my main reasons for traveling, with #3 being the top. I can't count the number of times when I've been away somewhere, soaking in a unique experience in a "faraway land", only to have a few thoughts of home creep into my head and make the experience that much more sweet in the moment. For me, a very depressing thought would be to spend the rest of my days just puttering around here at home or around town, never venturing far, doing the same things and seeing the same landscapes all the time. It's kind of like having basically the same dinner every night. Even with some minor variations, if you're having spaghetti with meatballs night after night, then dinner pretty quickly becomes a dreadful bore. There's so much more to eat and enjoy than spaghetti, so get out there and eat like a king while you can! Variety really is the spice of life, and IMHO traveling is a very important part of that variety.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

#10. Walking around places, (such as the old city of Jerusalem, but there are many, many, others), and contemplating the people and events that preceded my visit, be it by centuries or millennia, is, as 'they' used to say, "A total rush".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

That's a pretty funny list.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a dedicated traveler; all free time and money spent on traveling. I like the experiences. i like my fellow travelers (for the most part). I like the people i meet from all over the world.

Also, I am a bit of an existentialist that believes experiences one of the purest reasons for living. I have no kids (allergic) and my wife and I love to travel. Sometimes it does become just checking the boxes; but those once in a blue occurrences do happen.

I also like to eat (not that adventurous) and drink; so always looking for new experiences there, too. If you think of eating and drinking as just sustenance of life; you could eat the same thing every day; maybe in a pill form. However, must of us like to have variety in our food; why not have that same variety in where we spend the night?

Marc
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

I have noticed that a lot of my friends who traveled a lot are now losing interest in it . Usually the men lead the way and after a few years of the women doing solo travel or with a friend they also lose interest .I think it is a combination of aging ,health issues and lower tolerance for the hassle of travel .We have slowed down the travel to one interesting trip a year plus my regular visits to my grandchildren .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have noticed that a lot of my friends who traveled a lot are now losing interest in it . Usually the men lead the way and after a few years of the women doing solo travel or with a friend they also lose interest .I think it is a combination of aging ,health issues and lower tolerance for the hassle of travel .We have slowed down the travel to one interesting trip a year plus my regular visits to my grandchildren .
I have to agree with the above. I'm done after many years of travel (mostly business to great and not-so-great places). DW still likes to travel but her interest is waning. We are getting up there in age, tired of the baloney with air travel, crowds, over-priced places, etc. Now it's the occasional trip to a wedding, funeral, family get together, etc. Being home is just fine, too.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Pretty much 10.

And we travel because we really enjoy it. It's a very enjoyable adventure. We probably enjoy it more than anything else.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have noticed that a lot of my friends who traveled a lot are now losing interest in it.
Once you've seen one art museum, you've seen almost all of them. Every place has much of the same things and only a small amount of uniqueness. After years of traveling, there may be no uniqueness left.

I also think that with Virtual Reality devices that there is a future in "stay-at-home travel." You can have Total Recall. Or maybe you can send a younger person with VR cameras to go in your stead and get to experience what they experience in real time from your couch (avatar?). Isn't that how we all experienced landing and walking on the moon?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I agree with this as well. We met an older couple (upper 70's) in Yosemite that have been to 78 countries and continue to travel, yet not as much as they used to. They mentioned that they have a few more countries to visit and they expect to stay at home a lot more.

Their age and lower tolerance to travel were probably the reasons that they stayed on the shuttle bus, in the b&b and lodge, while passing on hiking/biking to the scenic spots.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #14

I dread the day I lose interest in travel.
I know the day is coming, but I hope not for a long time yet.

I've traveled extensively since college (military career, then w*rk consulting for numerous large companies with far-flung locations). Since ER, I've kept it up, although not quite to that level.

These days, about a trip a month, including two or three annual overseas jaunts of 2-3 weeks each.

On our recent river cruise, we met a couple who have averaged nearly a cruise a month for many years, including two round-the-world cruises. They still love it and plan to keep it up at that pace.

So in sum, I think it's just a matter of personal bias, like seafood. Some of us love it, others hate it, most are indifferent.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That's a pretty funny list.
Looking back at that list, I could see how several of those numbered reasons could be very negative and turn you off on travelling.

Find Your Self-Confidence by Dealing with Unexpected Situations - You will need it after getting pick pocketed and trying to get a new passport and money in Croatia.

Being Away Makes You Appreciate Family and Home - Especially of you are stuck in a small Chinese airport for 4 days with no hotel room.

You Make New Friends - In a Mexican jail?

Getting Some 'You' Time - aka.. "airport and Customs delays"

Education, Education, Education - trying to understand traffic rules in Italy after a cop pulled you over. Finding out how many Euro's it costs to get the ticket paid.

You're More Interesting - Especially to con artists and thieves!

New Experiences Give Us Moments to Remember - Remember that Chinese airport you spent 4 days in?

The Effects of Traveling Aren't Just Short-Term - Especially if you eat something you shouldn't have and there are no pharmacies for 100 miles.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I am becoming more discerning about my travel. I'm no longer travelling just because "I need to get away" or "I have the time", but because I have developed a genuine curiosity about a place. I no longer try to see "everything" and I will no longer accept exhausting flight schedules. I have struck several places off my list, principally because of safety issues. There are many places that I'm glad I've seen, some of them on w*rk related trips, but have no desire to see again. Increasingly, I care less about other people's expectations. For now, I plan to continue taking two or three modest trips per year, and one major trip every year or two. I can certainly foresee a time when the hassle won't be worth it.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Education, Education, Education - trying to understand traffic rules in Italy after a cop pulled you over. Finding out how many Lire it costs to get the ticket paid.
The answer is zero Lire. Italy uses the Euro.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

DH and I do love to travel and do quite a bit of it but I think I could ask people why they do anything they enjoy and get the same answers. I did read the article (attributed to a luxury travel agency, what a surprise!) and perhaps it is all tongue in cheek--vitamin D? It makes one more interesting?
Old 07-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am not retired yet so for me a vacation is a way to turn the real world off. I just don't do that as much at home. I like to have as few reminders, as possible, of my work. At this point of life sitting by the pool, drinking, in hot weather, is a total escape. Throw in some unique experiences, meet a few new people, etc... and life is good. We were in Hawaii last week and it was perfect as usual. I would retire there if it wasn't so darn expensive! Anyway, I look forward to longer trips once I retire.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

This is interesting. Because travel is the ONLY thing I want to spend in our discretionary budget. Now my DW also likes to travel, but she would rather fill the house and garage with "stuff". So do we spend our life savings on 'experiences' or 'things'?

My brother thinks travel is stupid - in his mind, spending $10k on a trip that lasts for a week or two! With the same money, he could buy a (used) snowmobile or boat that would last years!