Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Dude, I am female.

Last month, I took an hour long shuttle ride to the airport, then wait 3 hours and flew to Tokyo (a 13 hour flight), then took 3 train rides to get to my mom's house. It killed me for like 3 days with serious fatigue/jet lag. (Japan is 13 hours ahead of ET.) It took me over a week to get rid of the jet lag after I got back (probably because I no longer w*rk and I don't have to stick to any time schedule.)

Domestic and European flights should be OK. (Going to England in October.) Asia from the East Coast - not so much.
Dudeette then.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

That is horrible that people did not stay in Italy but instead flew right home-ugh! I have been to Italy 2x's and so much to see and do. My brother has been to Rome 8 times and still sees something new every time he goes. that is so weird.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

We've got to where we seldom even travel to the 3 big cities within 2 hours of home--left children/sister/grandchildren/nieces & nephews there.

But when we travel, we travel internationally--mainly to Europe.

Finding travel bargains online is a hobby, because if we weren't traveling inexpensively we'd be going on half as many vacations.

Each to his own, however. Do what makes you happy.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

The question for me, my wife, and nearly all in our extended family is not why travel, but where to.

For me, as I love music, nameplaces in songs tend to drive my itinerary. I listened to "I left my heart in San Francisco" long before I set foot there in my late teens. I went to Sorriento not because I saw it in any travel brochure, but because I loved the song of the same name when I was in my early teens (it turned out to be a favorite spot for Brit tourists). It interested me much more than Rome, or Florence.

Listening to Asturias, a guitar composition, I decided that I should go there the next time I go to Spain, having been to more popular spots like Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Toledo, etc... How about Solenzara to see if it is as romantic as a song by Enrico Macias?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Education is one of the reasons cited.

When my son was 15, I took him across the country to visit the sites of Jamestown and Yorktown. In the same trip, we also went to Kitty Hawk, where the Wright brothers made the 1st flight.

In a recent RV trip, when at the Grand Teton National Park, I listened to a lecture by a historian about John Colter, who accompanied the Clark and Lewis expedition, then later became the first white man to see Yellowstone.

In Saint John, New Brunswick, I walked through the 200-year old cemetery downtown, trying to read the tombstones of the American loyalists who left the country after the Revolution War. Supposedly, one or more sons of Benjamin Franklin was also a loyalist.

One can read about history, but being at the location helps your imagination, and the lessons stick with one better.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
That is horrible that people did not stay in Italy but instead flew right home-ugh! I have been to Italy 2x's and so much to see and do. My brother has been to Rome 8 times and still sees something new every time he goes. that is so weird.
I know. One couple lived in Florida and apparently they cruise regularly, taking advantage of last minute deals. They get discounts for being over 65, for living in Florida, and for being veterans. They told me that their 13-day transatlantic cruise cost them US$384 each. For that money ($30 per day) they could live more cheaply than at home. They also found a discounted return flight. I imagine they felt that the cost of spending time in Italy was exorbitant. They probably would not have travelled without those deals.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On a scale of 1-10 flying is about a 0 on my like list. So domestic travel is my thing. Been up and down the east coast via motorcycle, those that don't ride probably don't understand.
When the wife retires it will be time to head west, you guessed it....via motorcycle.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Well there's the living it up luxurious relaxation indulgent type of travel (we satiate that need with cruises).

Then there's the bold adventures to unknown parts that let us hear strange languages, see peculiar sights, and taste weird and interesting meals. Those are usually lower key at a slower pace and for a much longer duration than our indulgence travel (partly because of the cost; partly because you grow bored with luxury after a while).

Our kids are really digging it. We are 5 days away from setting out for a month long road trip to the NC mountains, Nashville, Mammoth Cave, Detroit, Toronto, Niagara Falls, and Washington DC. And this is our attempt at keeping it small and simple so we can spend some time at home this summer.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 AM   #49

I'm getting a bit ambivalent about travel. I was on a 2x short trip, 1x long trip per year schedule always going to places I hadn't been before, now reconsidering.

One item I am faced with is that places start to look very similar, as are the experiences I'm getting (people I meet, what your day looks like). Maybe I need to change up my approach?

Seeing things and talking to fellow travelers and locals used to be where I got most my energy from. As well as simply being 'on the road', it gives me a sense of calm. Big downside always has been that I've never met fellow travelers again.

So I'm thinking about shifting to a different type of travel which is more activity related: being out for a few days of walking, and trying to go back to places I've visited before and loved (which is basically Nepal, NZ and the Antarctic).

Although I still have a small list of new places to go: Canada & Eastern Europe. Maybe Scotland.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:01 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

My travel is pretty much limited to going to my vacation home. It gives me a nice change of pace. I do want to take a few trips in the future. But when you are single, traveling by yourself is not that appealing to me. As more friends retire perhaps I will hook up with a few in group type trips.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #51

Good question. Maybe 6&7 for me. Also like the "exotic" experience. Different foods?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #52

Quote:
#7 Education & # 10 New experiences Give Us Moments to Remember.

And a means to satisfy my curiosity of what places that we haven't yet visited are like.
+1 Travel for me is a way to experience new places and new things, particularly the natural wonder of the world and also of history.

Quote:
I also think that with Virtual Reality devices that there is a future in "stay-at-home travel." You can have Total Recall. Or maybe you can send a younger person with VR cameras to go in your stead and get to experience what they experience in real time from your couch (avatar?). Isn't that how we all experienced landing and walking on the moon?
Disagree. I have seen photos of the Grand Canyon all my life, but it was nothing like being there. The photos were nice, but the experience was emotinal.
Quote:
I dread the day I lose interest in travel.

So in sum, I think it's just a matter of personal bias, like seafood. Some of us love it, others hate it, most are indifferent.
That is the case for most things. We all have different interests.

Quote:
I am not retired yet so for me a vacation is a way to turn the real world off. I just don't do that as much at home. I like to have as few reminders, as possible, of my work. At this point of life sitting by the pool, drinking, in hot weather, is a total escape. Throw in some unique experiences, meet a few new people, etc... and life is good.
I will RE early next year. Yes, travelling is a break from w*rk, but I will not stop when I RE. I will do more because I love it so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h Hopi Point.jpg (699.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I may have missed it, but it doesn't seem anyone discussed the expense of travel. It's not that we don't like to travel, we love it - but it's relatively expensive, there are other worthy uses for that money.

I guess I knew the answer to my OP question - each of us has to decide if it's worth it to us, or not. I wondered if anyone else hesitates due to expense...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I may have missed it, but it doesn't seem anyone discussed the expense of travel. It's not that we don't like to travel, we love it - but it's relatively expensive, there are other worthy uses for that money.

I guess I knew the answer to my OP question - each of us has to decide if it's worth it to us, or not. I wondered if anyone else hesitates due to expense...
I would travel more if it were cheaper, but I have standards. I would rather stay home than in a tent!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I have not yet regretted my trips.

I still look forward to them, plan for them for months (that is one of the underrated things for me, the planning and research).

There are trips where the weather doesn't work out as I'd hoped (planning also takes into account the weather patterns in a particular destination). That doesn't sour me on the trip but rather, make me think about going back.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #56
Gone but not forgotten

Travel is expensive but if you search for deals you can lower the cost . I really want to visit Cuba but right now all the trips from the US are very expensive so I am keeping my eyes on a Fathom cruise from Miami to Cuba . They are offering Florida resident discounts at some really decent prices.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have standards. I would rather stay home than in a tent!
Tents aren't so bad...this one was at the most expensive camp we stayed at in Botswana :

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #58
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Everyone has their priorities . I have a friend that has been on four world cruises but her house is extremely basic . Her furniture has seen better days and she drives a clunker.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #59

It's true that traveling is often quite expensive, and I suppose this is one factor (with the other being complicated logistics) that has deterred me from doing it more often. But when I really think about it, I realize that money spent on travel is honestly the best use of discretionary funds I can imagine. I would much, much rather have an exciting, awe-inspiring two weeks in a fascinating new place than yet another iGizmo or or other "thing" that I will grow bored with over time. For me, pretty much nothing compares to the deep and lasting fulfillment of a good travel experience.

OP, what would you consider other worthy uses of discretionary money that would rival a fun, exciting trip somewhere? Let's say it's a trip to a country you've never visited before but have always wanted to go to, and let's say it will cost $3,000. What would you consider suitable or deserving alternate uses for that money other than the trip?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Last year, I spent between 35-40% of my total spending on travel.

Yet the total spending for the year represented less than 2% of my savings.

I might need to spend more on travel.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote