Why Travel?

Travel is expensive but if you search for deals you can lower the cost . I really want to visit Cuba but right now all the trips from the US are very expensive so I am keeping my eyes on a Fathom cruise from Miami to Cuba . They are offering Florida resident discounts at some really decent prices.

Check out the cost of travelling from Canada, your USD is worth $1.20 CDN and the trips to Cuba are priced normally. I notice the prices of Cuba trips from USA are expensive because of perceived limitations, it's newer, and exotic.

I may have missed it, but it doesn't seem anyone discussed the expense of travel. It's not that we don't like to travel, we love it - but it's relatively expensive, there are other worthy uses for that money.

I guess I knew the answer to my OP question - each of us has to decide if it's worth it to us, or not. I wondered if anyone else hesitates due to expense...

Some posters here fall into extreme camps. Some say money is no object, but they'd rather die than travel, or have seen it all (really? the world is that small?). Some say they would travel a lot more if there's more funding.

As for me, I am like most people, I think. I can travel a bit more than I have done, I guess, but I know there's a limit. I can do a 3 to 4-week foreign trip before I miss home. On an RV trip, I have gone for as long as 2+ months, because I can bring more personal stuff to keep myself comfortable and entertained.

So, even if I have more money, I think the most I would want to do is 2 foreign trips a year, plus domestic travel of 1 long RV trip a year or 2 fly-and-drive trips. That quota has been above what I have done, so I can still travel a bit more if the occasion arises, or the budget permits. In a few more years, I may get old and tired, and will have to stay home to watch TV, and may leave the home only once a year.

Anyway, a thread like this comes up every so often. I don't know why people who dislike travel have to defend themselves so vigorously. I do not like fast cars, nor watching spectator sports, but I do not go into these threads to boo-boo these pastimes (not too much, I don't think :) ). Nobody forces me to drive a fast car, or stay glued to the screen. I just don't do these, and that's it.

Last edited:
DH and I are both fascinated by European history, so what drives us to travel (and has driven us in the almost 20 years we've been together) is wanting to see where things occurred, see remnants of those events in museums, and talk to people in the country. It's a mindset. I know some people who wouldn't get on a plane to Europe if you paid their airfare in Business Class, but I first started wanting to go to Europe when I was a kid and Dad went on business. It killed me that a group of my HS classmates went on a camping trip to Europe one summer and I couldn't go; I was babysitting but couldn't make enough to pay for it, and my parents were saving to put the 5 of us through college so a special trip for one kid wasn't in their budget, either. I joke that I've spent the rest of my life making up for it!

Fortunately, DH and I are soulmates on this. We don't care if we have the biggest house, the latest fashions, the newest cars or the best furniture. Travel is our priority when we have the money for it. It's definitely enriched our lives.

I love history of the world, not just of Europe. However, I like to travel by myself, not in a group, and Europe is still a safe place where one can wander around exploring by himself.

If one pays attention, there's history to learn in the US and in Canada while traveling. I have been getting more out of domestic travel since I get more interested.

About museums, everybody flocks to the Louvre to see Mona Lisa, or to see Michelangelo's work in Rome, etc... That's fine, but I get the most kicks when I unexpectedly spotted some less well-known paintings while visiting a museum. The one that most delighted me was the Garden of Earthly Delights by Bosch in Museo del Prado in Madrid. I saw a print of this painting in my youth, and it made an impression on me. When I happened to see it in the museum (I had not known it was there), I stuck my nose so close to it to study it that an attendant rushed up to tell me to keep distance.

The part about travel that bugs me is this: I do a bunch of research so that I plan to visit everything that I might enjoy during travel. But I always discover something later (online or word of mouth) that I missed and need to go back for. In today's information packed world, how does one make sure that they don't miss anything?

The part about travel that bugs me is this: I do a bunch of research so that I plan to visit everything that I might enjoy during travel. But I always discover something later (online or word of mouth) that I missed and need to go back for. In today's information packed world, how does one make sure that they don't miss anything?

Have you used TripAdvisor? I find that it points out the "must sees" yet also things that only a local may know.

My approach to this is to try to thoroughly enjoy one or two locations, minimize in country travel and not worry if I don't see "everything". I also take a lot less photographs. Travel is for my enjoyment, not a trip where I need to report out on my travel "success". My 2 cents.

I have given up on seeing "everything" long ago. When visiting a place, I give myself so many days to stay. Every day, I am out and about on foot, doing as much as I can already. So, if I miss something, it's OK. People's favorite things may not be my things anyway.

By the way, this attitude is also what keeps me from having a bucket list. In contrast with people who say they have seen it all and know everything, I say that there are so many places that I have not seen, and I do not have a strict priority list. As long as I go to some new places, try some new good food, see something interesting and different, I am happy.

Last edited:
...I also take a lot less photographs...
I like to take snapshots. Not real serious photography framable stuff (I am not capable of it anyway), but to help me recall and relive the moments later.

The photos also help settle some disputes with my wife (who simply does not have my "superior" memory), who says we did such there and then, and I remember differently.

Last edited:

You can't. Heck, if you're running around with a highlighted notebook checking off your must-sees, you're doing it wrong. We do research and make some plans, but sometimes we change our minds or stumble on something we would have sought out if we'd known it was there but we're totally surprised. The Ignatz Semmelweis Museum in Budapest. An extraordinary painting of the Dormition of the Virgin in a small museum in Bruges. A performance of "Blithe Spirit" in Edinburgh. Those surprises make up for anything we missed.

My wife and I love to travel, but aren't able to that much at this point. But, I can certainly see where it could become problematic if there were health concerns.

We love just discovering new places, new hikes, new good restaurants, etc. Theoretically much of that an be done close to or near-ish home, but without getting a way, it is too easy to let other things get in the way.

cd :O)

I like to take snapshots. Not real serious photography framable stuff (I am not capable of it anyway), but to help me recall and relive the moments later.

That's us - we put together slideshows, (mainly for our own amusement), and enjoy them periodically.

You can't. Heck, if you're running around with a highlighted notebook checking off your must-sees, you're doing it wrong. We do research and make some plans, but sometimes we change our minds or stumble on something we would have sought out if we'd known it was there but we're totally surprised. The Ignatz Semmelweis Museum in Budapest. An extraordinary painting of the Dormition of the Virgin in a small museum in Bruges. A performance of "Blithe Spirit" in Edinburgh. Those surprises make up for anything we missed.

Serendipity is us.

I like to take snapshots..... .
I do, too, but not nearly as many as I used to. I have boxes of slides and prints and terabits of digital photos that I will never look at.

Have you used TripAdvisor? I find that it points out the "must sees" yet also things that only a local may know.

Yep - TripAdvisor is probably my #1 source, but the things I'm missing may be in the next town over.

My approach to this is to try to thoroughly enjoy one or two locations, minimize in country travel and not worry if I don't see "everything"....

I have given up on seeing "everything" long ago. When visiting a place, I give myself so many days to stay. Every day, I am out and about on foot, doing as much as I can already. So, if I miss something, it's OK. People's favorite things may not be my things anyway.

I got to get the "I can't see everything mindset". I guess you'll never see everything regardless of well you plan.

You can't. Heck, if you're running around with a highlighted notebook checking off your must-sees, you're doing it wrong. We do research and make some plans, but sometimes we change our minds or stumble on something we would have sought out if we'd known it was there but we're totally surprised. .... Those surprises make up for anything we missed.

I've found that the surprises end up being the best part of the trip.

I couldn't imagine life without travel and that is the big reason why I work longer to have more funds for my FIRE. When I read folks on this forum say they can live on $20,000 a year I always think NOT with travel and to me that is sad.

My ER income is $26,000 per year. Of that $10,000 is budgeted for travel. Don't feel sad for me, I've done 2 trips so far this year; and have 2 more booked and paid for before the year's end. I average 4 such trips each year. Granted, they are all domestic rather than international. But once I get tired of the domestic scene, I will reduce my trips to 2 international trips a year.

OP, what would you consider other worthy uses of discretionary money that would rival a fun, exciting trip somewhere? Let's say it's a trip to a country you've never visited before but have always wanted to go to, and let's say it will cost $3,000. What would you consider suitable or deserving alternate uses for that money other than the trip?

I just spent $2,000 on a vinyl privacy fence across my back yard. I have been putting it off for years because of the expense. However, I could no longer take looking at the mess that is my neighbor's back yard, so in May I bit the bullet.

I LOVE my fence! It sets my hosta garden off very nicely and has rejuvenated my gardening and decorating interests.

With a travel budget of $10,000 (38% of my annual ER income), the fence was the equivalent of one travel experience. I am very pleased with the purchase and am happy I went for it.

I do, too, but not nearly as many as I used to. I have boxes of slides and prints and terabits of digital photos that I will never look at.
I save my digital photos on a file server, grouped into folders listed by the date they were taken. I do not classify them by travel, family Christmas parties, or anything such. Needless to say, looking up something was tough.

Recently, I went through and made a text index file to list the folder contents. It's a simple one liner per day, such as "12/25/2005 - Xmas at Brother's", or "6/24/2016 - Grape tomato vines". That alone simplifies the search.

Your post reminded me that I still need to digitize the old prints taken before the digital camera days.

I've found that the surprises end up being the best part of the trip.
As all people, I had quite a few surprises in our travel, recently with the RV trips. Can't say that they are the best part of the trips, but as we survive them and even have some photos of the occasions, it is something to reminisce about.

I just spent $2,000 on a vinyl privacy fence across my back yard. I have been putting it off for years because of the expense. However, I could no longer take looking at the mess that is my neighbor's back yard, so in May I bit the bullet...

Just took delivery of $10K worth of Trex boards for my deck (I provide my own sweat equity for this deck repair). This is in addition to another $8K unexpected expense earlier (not on the home). So, may put aside the fall trip to Europe that I entertained the idea of a month or so ago. Already made a long RV trip early in spring, then a week in Mexico in May, so am not without travel this year.

Too many non-recurring expenses that just take turns recurring hampers one's travel. :)

PS. My south-facing deck is currently under full sun. At high elevation (thin and clear air), the sun ray will burn you to a crisp, even if the temperature is cool. So, taking midday break, and go back out to do some more work when the sun is lower.

Last edited:
I think that most of the objections to travel come from the fact that, for the most part, everyone is doing it wrong. :)

Our modern concept of 'travel' is to attempt to cram weeks of sightseeing into one 10-day period. We fly for several hours, we land, we check in, we run around all over the place until we're exhausted, then we fly home and go back to work exhausted. It's the most expensive and tiring way to travel.

Five years ago we spent seven months in a pop-up camper and saw most of the national parks and a lot of family and friends. It was fairly economical and not stressful in any way. After that we spent many weeks in Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. We also spent a few years in Mexico. It's a really great way to travel. Experiences galore.

I agree that people often try to do too much, and that more time is better. However, if you only have your vacation time to work with there is only so much you can do. The average visit to Yellowstone is 1.5 days. When I went, I spent 8 days, and did not nearly see everything. I wouldn't have missed it though. After I RE next year I can slow down more.

I sympathize, Ron. I too do a lot of planning. One thing I try to do is work in some unscheduled time for things I discover on the fly or to make up for bad weather days. Besides, there is nothing wrong with going back again some time. If you have a standard of perfection you will never be satisfied. Didn't we still have a great trip to that place we went?

Below from the Grand Canyon, North Rim - Bright Angel Point, and Toroweap

Attachments

• 1870.jpg
    1870.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 12
  • 2000.jpg
    2000.jpg
    929.4 KB · Views: 11
Because you can look at all the pictures of the Grand Canyon you want, but until you are there in person you cannot truly appreciate just how "grand" it is. And that's just one example. There is a a lot more to travel than just looking at famous pictures. The sounds and smells, for one, don't translate at all. Nor will you ever make the serendipitous finds that aren't in the guidebook if you don't just go there and wander around for awhile.
I agree with this. Experiencing a place is so much more than looking at pictures or video of the most famous spots. The weather, the smells, the people, the currency, the food, the drinks, the way they drive, the way they speak, the altitude, the differences in manners and ettiquete, the transportation options, the accomodations, the list goes on...

Would it be the same difference as eating good food and just watching FoodTV?

You'll always miss something. If it's really important, go back some time.

It did not work. I watch Rick Steves, and that strengthens the urge to go.

And I developed an interest in food and started cooking 15 years ago when I watched Food TV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom