Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-03-2016, 01:27 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets
We kept track of our spend for two relatively recent trips: One to Korea & Japan (2015) and the second to Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Cambodia (2014).

For the Korea & Japan trip, we ended up spending approximately $290CDN/day combined.
For the Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Cambodia trip, we spent approximately $230CDN/day combined.

We generally stayed in budget/modest accommodations with the odd splurge. The cost per day was basically total spend divided by number of days including travel days. Total spend included everything you'd expect including airfare, visas, sim cards, etc but not including souvenirs/shopping and no insurance (as we're covered by work for health and are willing to take the risk on general travel). The trips were both about 3.5 weeks in length with consideration that with a longer trip, the overseas airfare (which is one of the biggest costs) obviously averages out more over the days.

For retirement in a few years, we're targeting approximately $350CDN/day combined. We expect costs will increase as we'll have to buy insurance and likely need/want to travel a bit more comfortably. But, we're also hoping we can reduce costs with longer stays by doing monthly rentals, cooking, etc.

YVRRocketSurgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #82
gone traveling
7k per year for wife and I.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
We have no preset budget for travel, and play by ears depending on how our other discretionary expenses run each year.

Last year we spend $10K on travel, but we also had some other non-recurrent expenses. For 2016, we can go up to $30-40K for travel with the money that frees up. But I do not see that I enjoy travel that much to spend that kind of money. We are frugal travelers, so that kind of money is a lot of travel. Liking travel as we do, too much of it then it starts to feel like work.

I expect 2016 to be a lean year regarding market returns, so might as well not running hog-wild. I do not even have any plan right now, not even ideas for RV trips. Been working on DIY projects on my main home, and also have plans to work on the deck of the 2nd home. The work keeps me busy and engaged, so I have not been surfing the Web looking for travel ideas. Some impromptu things may pop up anytime though.
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:53 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Other than trips to my condo at the Redneck Riviera, I don't travel much. If I include all my cost associated with the condo, I probably spend over 6k a year. But the condo has gone up in value and I live there 30% of the time, so I don't consider all that as part of my travel budget. It's really more of an investment and a quality of life issue. Funny how we look at things. I do plan to take one decent trip a year outside of my beach trips and I can do that in the 2-3k range. Last year's trip out west came in under $2k, but I did stay with relatives for a few nights along the way.
Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.
We are still working (retiring in 10 years). Last year was the first year I actually kept track of our travel. We spent $12K. In my budget, the travel line item is now set at $10K a year, but if we go over, it just means we spend less on something else.

When we retire, the travel line item bumps up to $25K. We LOVE to travel!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...
kaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I had to laugh when I read that. My business travel frequently took me to places I thought desirable, but I was never able to take extra days to explore them. So now I sometimes find myself going back to those cities just because they're still new and interesting to me. It's also fascinating to see the changes since my first visits long ago.
Same with us. My business travel took me to New York, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong on a regular basis. A lot more fun to do it now. Stay at better hotels now too.

Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote