Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have about $20K built into our regular annual budget. Last year we managed to spend about that much on a 4 week Europe trip.

We have about four times that amount set aside as a special travel splurge fund, and we need to start tapping into that soon!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

We don't have a specific travel budget but last year travel related spending accounted for 81% of total spending.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how perpetual travelers count their travel expenses.

Surely, they pay for hotel rooms, but they have no house maintenance, RE taxes, utility bills, nor the dead money in the house value which can be used to invest to generate income. They also have no cars. What else do I miss?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

When we were living in our RV, constantly on the road, we did not count travel expenses separately. When we resumed living in a house, we also resumed our travel budget.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Surely, they pay for hotel rooms, but they have no house maintenance, RE taxes, utility bills, nor the dead money in the house value which can be used to invest to generate income. They also have no cars. What else do I miss?
Hotels and apartment rental, transportation (cabs, car rental, trains, planes, buses, boats), all food, and admissions are stuff I count as "Travel Expenses."

Our next largest expense is Health Insurance & health care; then donations & gifts; clothing and misc stuff; personal care; "utilities" which is mostly SIM cards and subscriptions to stuff like Skype, a VPN, etc; mail forwarding; and finally "entertainment" which is mostly our Netflix subscription and other purchased videos.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I never count food costs when I travel, because I have to eat regardless. It is true that a meal at home is usually cheaper, but still. Some other incidental things are also not counted, such as clothes or gifts bought for relatives. However, these are insignificant. I do count hotel costs, RV campground fees, car rental, airfare, etc...

Strictly I count expenses that I would not incur if I stay at home. And my home expenses do not stop when I travel. So, travel expenses are extraneous luxury items that I can cut during economic hard times. On the other hand, if I lived in my RV full-time, it's harder to see what is travel and what is just living costs.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I never count food costs when I travel, because I have to eat regardless. It is true that a meal at home is usually cheaper, but still. Some other incidental things are also not counted, such as clothes or gifts bought for relatives. However, these are insignificant. I do count hotel costs, RV campground fees, car rental, airfare, etc...

Strictly I count expenses that I would not incur if I stay at home. And my home expenses do not stop when I travel. So, travel expenses are extraneous luxury items that I can cut during economic hard times. On the other hand, if I lived in my RV full-time, it's harder to see what is travel and what is just living costs.
It's helpful to differentiate between food costs "on the road" and those incurred at home when trying to forecast a budget for either living on the road or living at home. Before we started traveling full-time I wanted some idea what we'd spend on food. My weekly grocery budget where I used coupons and knew which stores had the best prices wasn't a good guide. My travel food spending, though, was a better approximation.

Edit to add: I also tag all my expenses by country, which isn't something ordinary people do.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
It's helpful to differentiate between food costs "on the road" and those incurred at home when trying to forecast a budget for either living on the road or living at home. Before we started traveling full-time I wanted some idea what we'd spend on food. My weekly grocery budget where I used coupons and knew which stores had the best prices wasn't a good guide. My travel food spending, though, was a better approximation.
Absolutely true. My travel is just not long enough for the difference to matter.

I do spend more than 2 months at a time with the RV, but we do eat just like at home (finding a place to eat twice a day is a chore). Fly-and-drive trips are usually only 2 weeks.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I count dining while traveling as a travel expense, because we are typically eating all meals out, and it's a lot more expensive, in general, than eating at home. It helps for future planning.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

For simplicity, I include the cost of eating while traveling in Travel. Some of my trips involve self catering accommodation where I can prepare my own meals. Depending where I am, fresh produce may be cheaper than at home. While I am away from home, I am not spending anything on Groceries. It all works out in the end.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #51
Administrator

I don't count food while traveling as we eat pretty much the same as we do when at home. We rent places for weeks at a time so we can mostly prepare the majority of our own meals and we eat out as frequently at home as we do on our long trips.

Our utility bills at home drop dramatically while we are away as I have the AC set much higher than if we were home, plus the immersion heater (hot water) is turned off.

I just keep it simple and add up all the travel and accommodation costs for a
vacation, and I don't track food, meals out etc, and don't subtract savings like lower utilities costs and gym membership savings that I cancel prior to each long trip. I also downgrade our home internet speed to the lowest possible as I only need internet access at home to monitor the thermostat, web camera and DVR.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:43 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

6,700 USD or 27% of annual spending per typical year. That cost is everything between leaving home to returning plus all the prepaid expenses. I travel alone. No budget. As I have for decades, I track what I've spent, then spend accordingly.

Spending will increase significantly beginning this year. Enjoying it while I can is a prime motivator. Starting SS in 2016 means more time in higher cost countries. Finally, last year I flew business class for the first time. So, as long as I can afford it, all the long legs of future trips will be in biz class. I'm sure my heirs will understand.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:51 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Edit to add: I also tag all my expenses by country, which isn't something ordinary people do.
I do too. Not coincidentally, I've rarely been considered ordinary. Did I mention I like spreadsheets?

Seriously, the main reason is so I can compare my pre-trip estimates to actual spending. The value of which is... more fun with spreadsheets.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:44 AM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Health & insurance mostly.

Most of the things you list also don't apply to inner-city renters (some rent including utilities, as I did the past 7 years).

PT's just count expenses in the same categories as everyone else. Transportation, housing, communications, health, food ...

At least those that I've heard of and met. So the only thing they do differently is not treat "travel" as a special occasion or category. Just like people who never travel I guess.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:47 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
So the only thing they do differently is not treat "travel" as a special occasion or category.
+1

Whereas a vacationer puts their normal day-to-day life on hold to go somewhere else, we’ve simply incorporated the "somewhere else" into our normal day-to-day activities.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Our upcoming 12 day trip St. Maarten - Barcelona, oceanview cabin, base price & taxes, but not including 'mandatory gratuities', works out to $29.13 US, p.p. per day. (It'll be our third time on this ship and we love it.)

WOW, who is this with

I eat more than that a day, so it would be worth it IMO....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:57 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
WOW, who is this with

I eat more than that a day, so it would be worth it IMO....

French line, English widely spoken, (we're basically unilingual apart, apart from some appalling French on my part)........video mentions 100% all inclusive, but alcohol, on this upcoming voyage, I believe, is extra.....although there are rumors to the contrary.....we don't drink, so it's immaterial to us.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1

No desire to travel, although I could easily afford it...
+1
10% of budget allocated to travel and having a hard time spending it. Sometimes I think that budget item is there because I feel "I have to" because every retiree is supposed to just love to travel. Typically don't like international travel until I get there. Lately come to realize there aren't a whole lot of places I want to visit. Some people like external adventures; I like adventures of the mind. It's amazing how many books I've read since I retired.

We'll see. Maybe after a few years I'll just get that RV and be done with the whole subject.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:33 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Not budgeted per se, but I've been willing to spend quite a lot annually because I still have consulting income coming in. Since becoming semi-retired in early 2013, I've spent between $10,000 and $35,000 a year on travel for one person, the great majority international.
smurray5991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:49 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
10% of budget allocated to travel and having a hard time spending it. Sometimes I think that budget item is there because I feel "I have to" because every retiree is supposed to just love to travel.
I completely understand.

One of the aspects of retirement that I just love, is not having other people deciding what I should do with my precious time. That includes travel. It's nice that after being dragged around the world for most of my childhood, and then having to travel for work later on, finally I am the one who gets to decide how much I travel.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote