Join Early Retirement Today

Windstar cruises?
Old 01-05-2020, 06:15 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windstar cruises?

Has anyone been on any of their ships? Specifically the smallest one Windstar?
My DW and another couple are considering a cruise from Colon to St. Maarten. I've never been on a cruise ship and never wanted to but the idea of a small ship, 148 passengers, might work for me as an introvert. Don't like crowds! Looks like all of the cabins are the same size with a view.
Any thoughts?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Haven't been on Windstar, although we'd like to......have been to Colon...yuk.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We were intrigued for the sailing, but sailing isn’t central to Windstar - you might not sail at all on Windstar, the window for sailing is very narrow. Otherwise https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...ar-cruises/cl/

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

IMO, small boat cruising is the only way to go. It is as close to having your own superyacht as you can get, and the service is impeccable with no crowds. (Once you've taken a tender to shore with just two people, you'll never go back.) I've heard the Windstar is excellent from friends who have travelled with them. Today there are more small sub-500-passenger cruise ships than ever before. I think it is in response to all the huge mega-ships that the major lines are building.

We have really enjoyed Seadream Yacht Club's trips - to Costa Rica and Greece - and there are other similar lines that are equally good.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We sailed on Windstar. Small ships. Much more intimate than the mass market ships.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

Biggest cruise ship we were ever on:
1,600 pax, which was ridiculously huge IMO, although it probably doesn't count as "big" these days. That was our first cruise, and we said "NEVER AGAIN!"

Three "small" ship cruises since then:
48, 48, and 62 pax.

One "fairly small" cruise: 380 pax on a ship built for up to 500. That was good, but really pushing the limit for us. We got an exceptional deal on the price, which was the main reason for it, but we won't go that large again.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks, so who are the other small ships that sail the Caribbean?
Or other places.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #8

Never been to the Caribbean.

For great small ship cruising (although far from inexpensive), look at Lindblad/National Geographic. They're more expeditions than cruises, but exceptionally well done.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Biggest cruise ship we were ever on:
1,600 pax, which was ridiculously huge IMO, although it probably doesn't count as "big" these days. That was our first cruise, and we said "NEVER AGAIN!"

Three "small" ship cruises since then:
48, 48, and 62 pax.

One "fairly small" cruise: 380 pax on a ship built for up to 500. That was good, but really pushing the limit for us. We got an exceptional deal on the price, which was the main reason for it, but we won't go that large again.
Brau,

Can you provide a bit more detail on the ships?

The smallest ship we have ben on was the Paul Gauguin (up to 332 guests / 217 crew) and really enjoyed the quality over quantity. It was by far our favorite cruise, but I did wish there was a bit more in activities. I'm guessing they have added a golf simulator since I was on it.

We have also been on Regent (700 guests/445 crew). I found the Regent just a big too large, but very enjoyable. I liked that they had some nightlife, and since it was an Alaskan cruise (OLD people), it never felt crowded. We had an extra large balcony, which was perfect for the inland passage.

We have been on a couple of mega ships. If I wanted a last minute trip requiring no planning, I would consider it again, but that likely won't happen.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
Brau,

Can you provide a bit more detail on the ships?
Like I said in the other post, look at Lindblad/NatGeo. We went with them in Alaska, Galapagos, and Scotland, and had the most wonderful time. Some of the best trips we have ever taken.

Our Fleet
Old 01-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We have found our perfect size is 2500 passengers. Any bigger and it’s annoying. We enjoyed a big choice of activities and nightlife.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We have found our perfect size is 2500 passengers. Any bigger and it’s annoying. We enjoyed a big choice of activities and nightlife.
I think the Windstar we were on was 189 cabins.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We have found our perfect size is 2500 passengers.
Our favorite ship is the (now) Pullmantur Horizon (previously CDF..and previously....) at 1,875 passengers....but that's nous.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Has anyone been on any of their ships? Specifically the smallest one Windstar?
My DW and another couple are considering a cruise from Colon to St. Maarten. I've never been on a cruise ship and never wanted to but the idea of a small ship, 148 passengers, might work for me as an introvert. Don't like crowds! Looks like all of the cabins are the same size with a view.
Any thoughts?
I looked at a cruise on the 300-ish passenger Windstar ship (without the sails), Panama and Costa Rica—I might surprise DH with it next year. We did a Princess cruise maybe 15 years ago into Gatun Lake from the Caribbean, and then took an excursion boat through the locks to the Pacific with a tour bus back to Colon. Fascinating for DH, brought back memories for me from the years I lived there growing up.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Windstar is on my retirement list. I don’t like crowds.
If you sign up on their e mail list you’ll get notified of some really reasonable deals.

I have only heard really good things about them.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

We’ve been on the Wind Surf a couple of times and love it for the small ship atmosphere and the islands they are able to sail to.

If your interested in a real sailing ship check out Clipper Cruise lines. The Royal Clipper was spectacular.
Hzefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:17 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I was just looking at cruises for February on https://www.vacationstogo.com/ and noticed a Wind Surf one that sounds nice. It's good to hear folks here like it.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:36 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We were intrigued for the sailing, but sailing isn’t central to Windstar - you might not sail at all on Windstar, the window for sailing is very narrow.
Many years ago I took a cruise of the Grenadines on a Star Clipper tall ship. They sail about 25% of the time. It was a fun time, not as luxurious as Windstar, even in the cabins you know you are on a "sailboat". The ship we were on held 170 passengers.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

We took the Windsurf Caribbean tour last March. Neither my wife nor I had ever cruised and had no desire to be on a big ship. We went with friends who love Windstar. I can tell you it was great. The food, accommodations and treatment were excellent. The ship is fairly small and we were able to stop at small ports by docking or sitting at anchor and visiting the land on the small transport boats. No kids on the Windsurf. It was like being on a floating country club. The waiters in the pool bar learned our favorite drinks right away. Intimate and fun.
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
Windstar is on my retirement list. I don’t like crowds.
If you sign up on their e mail list you’ll get notified of some really reasonable deals.

I have only heard really good things about them.
I heard one bad thing from my dad...got food poisoning from an appetizer, along with a sizable group of other gueats. Spent most of the cruise eating rice and bananas, never leaving the cabin. Didn't stop my mom from enjoying all the ports and activities, though. Even then, he said he go on another Windstar.

But primary, I wanted to ask if you have looked up the email specials on vacationstogo. I'm loath to get on the list and get spammed for something I can look-up when it suits me.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote