Join Early Retirement Today

Winter Camp
Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Winter Camp

Heading out this weekend for a snowshoe adventure. We will be staying in a yurt thankfully, just checked the forecast and Sunday night is supposed to have a low of -17 degrees. Wish me luck... There is a wood burning stove inside of the yurt.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will definitely wish you luck. I would not move from inside the yurt. On second thought,-17 degrees, I would be staying home.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #3

Good luck. -17 C not too bad. -17 F will get your attention. Hope you have good cold weather survival and operating skills.

At -40 C and F are equal. I have worked outdoors with that loww temperature. Not fun.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

Wow. I plan my winter activites so I don't have to leave the house when it's under +20. I would never even consider voluntarily going outside when it drops to -17. I've been in worse here in Wisconsin but never unless it was work/school related. Hope you don't literaly freeze to death. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like fun. At some point I would not mind trying the biathlon-type stuff.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

not too worried, last year we had to open the door of the yurt because it got too warm. Hopefully I will be asleep when it hits -17 :-)

I really love the adventure, seclusion, challenge of it all!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #7

Ah yes... Winter camping... December... Camping in our VW Westphalia "Victoria Von Volkswagen" ... At Devils Lake Campground in Wisconsin. Nighttime 8PM Temperature 3 degrees. We were the only campers.

The campground had undergone recent upgrades... one of which was a brand new "comfort station"... read that new outhouse... Quite nice... electricity and water, except still, the old fashioned outhouse pit toilets, but this time, not wood, but shiny bright stainless steel.

8PM, and time for a quick trip to the "station" before retiring...
Cold?... Sheesh... yeah, cold. Have you ever sat on a Stainless Steel Toilet Seat when the temperature was 3 degrees. Think "The Christmas Story", and the schoolyard flagpole scene.

It happened... no kidding... when I went to stand up... I couldn't. Frozen solid. No panic at first... surely the seat will warm, and I should be set free. But it was very, very cold, and in no hurry to let me go. Ya start thinking about things. The "what if's?"... How do I explain this?... Will DW search for me?... then... Will I die?

Of course, camping in a Yurt will be quite different.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Ah yes... Winter camping... December... Camping in our VW Westphalia "Victoria Von Volkswagen" ... At Devils Lake Campground in Wisconsin. Nighttime 8PM Temperature 3 degrees. We were the only campers.

The campground had undergone recent upgrades... one of which was a brand new "comfort station"... read that new outhouse... Quite nice... electricity and water, except still, the old fashioned outhouse pit toilets, but this time, not wood, but shiny bright stainless steel.

8PM, and time for a quick trip to the "station" before retiring...
Cold?... Sheesh... yeah, cold. Have you ever sat on a Stainless Steel Toilet Seat when the temperature was 3 degrees. Think "The Christmas Story", and the schoolyard flagpole scene.

It happened... no kidding... when I went to stand up... I couldn't. Frozen solid. No panic at first... surely the seat will warm, and I should be set free. But it was very, very cold, and in no hurry to let me go. Ya start thinking about things. The "what if's?"... How do I explain this?... Will DW search for me?... then... Will I die?

Of course, camping in a Yurt will be quite different.
Hard to make this stuff up so it must be true.

This one will go down in the annals of history.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

So, are you going to leave us in suspense or tell us "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say.

omni
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a lot of fun, thankfully when it ended up being -26 (F) the morning we left and the car wouldn't start we found someone in a truck to help jump start our vehicle. No frozen body parts on the latrine but I did keep that in mind on our trip.