Would you travel to Dominican Republic now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to Punta Cana last October. We were two couples, rented a Chevy Suburban with a driver/guide for one of the days. When we wanted to explore the marketplace and the oldest church in the town, the driver joined us and led us thru that area. He advised/warned us not to purchase anything. On the way back he took us thru another town where they have sugar mills. The driver informed us that he will drive thru the area where the sugar plant was located and also thru the residential area where the officers of the plant lived in beautiful cottages along the beach. There were armed officers along those streets and we made sure we stayed in the car.

The Punta Cana Tourist areas, mall and the resorts are safe but I would not go into the interior towns. In fact I will not to back to Dominican Republic! There are many better and safer places to visit in this world

Couldn’t purchase edibles or anything?

Ok we gave in and cancelled. Supposed to get our money back from hotel. So we'll be in Atlanta (there for other reasons) with a week to kill and a few bucks in Delta money to fly somewhere. Looking for beach/pool centered vacation. South Carolina? Florida? Yes we know it will be hot and humid. Any great ideas?

USVI is beautiful and safe!

I'm just not into all-inclusive resorts where the natives wait on you hand and foot but you don't want to venture outside the barbed-wire gates of the compound. I know that's a dream vacation for many. So no, I wouldn't visit the DR but it's not because of recent headlines.

I visited Mexico last March with some trepidation- small-ship cruise in the Sea of Cortes- and LOVED it. In that case, I'm glad I ignored the headlines (other than exercising the usual cautions).

odds are you'd be perfectly safe. That being said, there are lots and lots of places in this world that don't have these reported mystery deaths. So for now, it's other places for me.

Not even to smoke fine cigars fresh.

I have a ‘rule.’ It originated retroactively after my tour in Vietnam (infantry). The rule is, “Never go to places you hear about on the Evening News.”

It has served me well. I recall some business travel to Ireland. This was during the sectarian violence time frame. The locals there were urging our travel contingent to go to Northern Ireland for the weekend. “Good shopping up there,” they said. No thanks.

I’ve used it on other occasions and it would apply here.

Ok we gave in and cancelled. Supposed to get our money back from hotel. So we'll be in Atlanta (there for other reasons) with a week to kill and a few bucks in Delta money to fly somewhere. Looking for beach/pool centered vacation. South Carolina? Florida? Yes we know it will be hot and humid. Any great ideas?

Charleston
Hilton Head
St. George Island/Apalachicola Fla
Savannah and the barrier islands

All are within a 5 or 6 hour drive of Atl.

Last edited:
Charleston
Hilton Head
St. George Island/Apalachicola Fla
Savannah and the barrier islands

All are within a 5 or 6 hour drive of Atl.

That is exactly what we are doing. Hitting all those spots. Maybe Myrtle Beach too. It looks like fun. If you could turn the humidity down in a couple weeks that would be great.

Did these tourists in DR not die peacefully in their sleep?

It may be a good place to go for people with terminal disease who are tired of hanging on. Just be sure to take plenty of drink from the minibar dispenser in the room. It would help, in one way or another.

That was so smart.

I hadn't contributed to the thread, because I didn't want to inflict my (possibly insanely paranoid) ideas on you. But I wouldn't suggest traveling to the Dominican Republic until the mysterious tourist death issues are figured out and resolved. Might be as simple as the toxic hotel room mini-bar hypothesis that has been suggested by the mainstream news media, but who knows that with enough certainty to bet one's life on it. Besides, you can always travel there another year.

I have a ‘rule.’ It originated retroactively after my tour in Vietnam (infantry). The rule is, “Never go to places you hear about on the Evening News.”

It has served me well. I recall some business travel to Ireland. This was during the sectarian violence time frame. The locals there were urging our travel contingent to go to Northern Ireland for the weekend. “Good shopping up there,” they said. No thanks.

I’ve used it on other occasions and it would apply here.
We had already arranged a trip to Provence and Nice. About 2 months before our departure, Nice had the horrible one man driving truck attack on crowds gathered at the waterfront.

We did not change our plans, but apparently many did. In Avignon, guides told us tourism was down 20% due to cancellations. In Nice it seemed crowded, but apparently much less so than normal. We enjoyed the visit. Then we got to Barcelona and realized that was where everyone had gone instead! It was crazy packed!

nope but then again i wouldn’t go there in the first place. too many things to see here first.

Yes we are going to the Dominican Republic

My wife and I have been going to the DR twice a year since 2009. We mainly go to Puerto Plata and have added Samana the last 2 years. We spend about 7 weeks there total, but not in a hotel, per se. We stay in 3 to 6 bedroom houses with private pool most of the time. Other times in a 2 bedroom condo. The resort has 29 restaurants and snacks bars, and that meets almost all of our needs. There is no mini-bar to worry about and all the alcohol that comes to us is in sealed bottles.

We have made an investment in Lifestyle Holidays and our 7 weeks on the resort is fully paid until 2052...we feel VERY SAFE and see no need to change our plans.

My wife and I have been going to the DR twice a year since 2009. We mainly go to Puerto Plata and have added Samana the last 2 years. We spend about 7 weeks there total, but not in a hotel, per se. We stay in 3 to 6 bedroom houses with private pool most of the time. Other times in a 2 bedroom condo. The resort has 29 restaurants and snacks bars, and that meets almost all of our needs. There is no mini-bar to worry about and all the alcohol that comes to us is in sealed bottles.

We have made an investment in Lifestyle Holidays and our 7 weeks on the resort is fully paid until 2052...we feel VERY SAFE and see no need to change our plans.

You just highlighted the biggest problem with this approach to holidays..2052 I hope you continue to feel safe but realize you are biased here.

Nope. I didn't read the entire thread, yet. But, not a place to go untill this is sorted out.

You just highlighted the biggest problem with this approach to holidays..2052 I hope you continue to feel safe but realize you are biased here.

I am sorry, but I did not understand this? Not sure what the "problem" is?

I AM biased because we enjoy our time down there every spring and every fall. Our investment will break even in 2026, but we are being given 40 years of free All Inclusive vacations which end in 2052.

Seems like a good ROI to us...about 11% before we include the impact of inflation on the value we are getting each year.

I'm so glad I got the travel bug early in my life and career so now I don't leave the US. I have traveled and worked in many areas of the world and enjoyed my experiences.

Now I can't stand flying and airports and you never know what is going to happen in other countries...even the "civilized" ones. Look at the yellow vest uprisings in Paris. Doing the "DaVinci Code tour of the Louvre might be taking your life in your hands now. And I would love to get back to the Middle East, especially the Valley of the Kings, but NO WAY.

Nope, LOTS to see in the US and no reason to leave anymore.

Feel similar to Caskem. DW was thinking Europe this year. Started planning, but was getting too complicated. Ended up just expending epic snow bird road trip several weeks instead. All’s good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom