Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Route 66 is just a joke. Very little of the original road still exists as Route 66. Part of it is a big interstate freeway- why would you visit that? What is there as Route 66 is about as authentic as the Matterhorn at Disneyland.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by A854321 View Post
Route 66 is just a joke. Very little of the original road still exists as Route 66. Part of it is a big interstate freeway- why would you visit that? What is there as Route 66 is about as authentic as the Matterhorn at Disneyland.
Well, uhhh... all of R66 has been decommissioned and so technically none of it still exists as R66. And a major reason for exploring R66 is to experience the pre-freeway era. That might be why someone would "visit" it. Route 66 is far from a joke. A lot of modern US history lies along that road. Over 80% of the road is still traceable and there are a lot of resources to assist anyone interested enough to do some research on it. With the internet, such research is easy for one who is willing to put forth the effort. But alas, the internet also makes it easy for one to post one's own misunderstandings.

Some might like R66, some might not. To each his own.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many of the old highways are still around; for instance, US31 and US41 are both still mostly intact through the midwest and south.

The town where I grew up in Indiana was on US31. The interstate came through when I was around 6yo or so, and I can still remember (and some of the skeletons are still evident) many of the gas stations, restaurants, and motels in all the small towns along the route.

US41 through Indiana, which runs from the UP in Michigan all the way to Miami, at least in Indiana, probably has more of the pre-interstate feel, because it wasn't directly replaced by a parallel interstate route. (At least the Indiana portion)

Interestingly enough, I lived on US41 for a time when I lived in Atlanta.

One interesting restaurant just south of town was the "Coffeepot", actually shaped like a coffee pot. It was closed before I remember, but was still standing well into the sixties. My school bus drove by there every day enroute to elementary school. It was located on the apt named "Coffee Pot Curve" on US31.

"And I was born in the backseat of a Greyhound bus, rollin' down highway 41..." Richard Betts, Allman Bros. Band

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

We live not far from highway 61, which ran from the Canada/Minnesota border to New Orleans as US61. We drive up the north shore of Lake Superior on what is now called old highway 61. A very pretty drive through nice little lake towns. This was also the highway we used to take before the freeway was built to Minneapolis. Hours and hours of driving through dreary small towns.

Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God say, "No." Abe say, "What?"
God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin' you better run"
Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done?"
God says, "Out on Highway 61."--Bob Dylan

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
We live not far from highway 61, which ran from the Canada/Minnesota border to New Orleans as US61. We drive up the north shore of Lake Superior on what is now called old highway 61. A very pretty drive through nice little lake towns. This was also the highway we used to take before the freeway was built to Minneapolis. Hours and hours of driving through dreary small towns.
Old thread, but I have driven to Minneapolis MANY times on Highway 61...........through neat river towns like Winona, Red Wing, and Lake Pepin..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

No matter what you decide, the only way to travel is the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:15 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I live an hour from Route 66/I-40 in Arizona. It parallels the railroad here.

Winslow has a statue of the hitch hiker that the Eagles sang about--standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine site to see, there is a girl, Oh Lord! in a flatbed Ford, slowing down to take a look at me.

There is an amazing pertified wood store in Holbrook.

Old 66 is still drivable 85 miles from Seligman to Kingman where the interstate bypassed the RR route.

Consider a store, a statue, and the old highway to California near the Grand Canyon or a jewel of a national park with geysers and buffalo and waterfalls--take your kid to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Do your homework first so you know about the geology and the history. I believe the yellow is compacted volcanic ash. Yellowstone resulted from part of a continent sliding over a very deep hot spot, not unlike what has formed the Hawaiian Islands. Read John McPhee's "Rising from the Plains" for more info. The H. Islands are moving across their hot spot at about the speed that your fingernails grow.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Yellowstone by all means. Make housing reservations inside the park NOW and schedule everything else around that availability.

We spent two weeks almost every summer in the Tetons with the kids for almost 15 years. When they are young views don't register so if time is pressing save the Grands for later. Once they are at the hiking, fishing, rock climbing stage they will want to stay forever. Until then it is too abstract.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I am close to booking reservations with yellowstone for 2008. I think it would be nice to stay IN the park, maybe the Yellowstone Lodge. Old Faithful is a short walk away, and it's one of the main staging areas for all the bus tours.

I have been advised to take the bus tours for exploring the park......you avoid the hassles of all the traffic and 50 foot RV's slowing down to take buffalo pictures, and you end up seeing more.

Thoughts??

Old 11-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am close to booking reservations with yellowstone for 2008. I think it would be nice to stay IN the park, maybe the Yellowstone Lodge. Old Faithful is a short walk away, and it's one of the main staging areas for all the bus tours.

I have been advised to take the bus tours for exploring the park......you avoid the hassles of all the traffic and 50 foot RV's slowing down to take buffalo pictures, and you end up seeing more.

Thoughts??
I enjoyed driving in the park and stopping when I wanted to stop to enjoy the scenery with my family for as long as I wanted to enjoy it.

I would leave the bus tour for the people who can't or won't drive.

I agree with staying in the park. It is so big to begin with, it wouldn't be a good idea to have to drive outside the park every time you needed to go back to your hotel room.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely stay in the park, and at the Lodge if you can get in. Don't expect 4-star accommodations, they have a tough time maintaining the facilities and they get a lot of use seasonally.

Parking can be a hassle. It has been years since we visited but if they have a system where you can hop on and off a bus that would be best with children, it would be a pity to leave a site before the kids are finished exploring just because your bus is scheduled to leave. This will be a trip they will tell their childern about.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I think it would be nice to stay IN the park, maybe the Yellowstone Lodge. Old Faithful is a short walk away, and it's one of the main staging areas for all the bus tours.

I have been advised to take the bus tours for exploring the park......

Thoughts??
I didn't stay in the Lodge, but I was in it a few times.....Nice! I did stay in one of the Lodges at Glacier, and though it was rustic and not 4-star, it was a VERY nice experience, and I would HIGHLY recommend it!!! Staying IN the park is the best!

As for the buses, you could take one of the bus tours to get a nice overview, and then drive back to those areas that interest you or other areas that you'd like to explore. That way you get the best of both worlds. We've done that a few times

And like Brat said, if they have tour buses on a system where you can hop off one bus, and then hop on the next one, that would be great. We've done that on some of our trips.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's another vote for Yellowstone. I went on a family vacation to Yellowstone when I was quite young (don't remember exactly) but the experience is unforgettable. It is probably different now, but I remember the moose standing by the side of the road and the bears walking in between the cars. The bears wandering between the cabins at night, the geysers! I'm sure that Old Faithful is still around. And now they have wolves!
(Hey I'm not kidding) By all means take them to Yellowstone! One of these days I must go back myself!!!
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

We stayed a couple of nights at the hotel at Lake Yellowstone then a couple of nights at Mammoth Hot Springs and it was really different in the two places. Mammoth Hot Springs is a lower elevation and is where you find the elk, and at the lake there are bison and moose. There's great geology going in in both areas, too.
Cantuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

We and our adult daughter made our first trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons this past summer, and it was well worth the 5000 mile round trip. We were there at the end of August, so we didn't experience the traffic jams or parking problems that we were warned about. We did have to stop a couple of times to let the bison cross the road - took a picture of one from about five feet away as he walked by the car window. With small kids, I think it would be great fun to actually stay in the park, and that would give you a lot more time to actually view the sights.

We did a float trip through the Tetons and really enjoyed it.
Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

This weekend there was an High Definition nature program on TV, I cannot remember which channel, that showed geology, history, sites etc about Yellowstone. It was a great program. I'm ready to go back again.(It's been over 25 years since I was last there.) Now if I can just figure out what to do with all the pets...

How have others solved this problem? Losing the pets is not an acceptable answer.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail View Post
We and our adult daughter made our first trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons this past summer, and it was well worth the 5000 mile round trip. We were there at the end of August, so we didn't experience the traffic jams or parking problems that we were warned about. We did have to stop a couple of times to let the bison cross the road - took a picture of one from about five feet away as he walked by the car window. With small kids, I think it would be great fun to actually stay in the park, and that would give you a lot more time to actually view the sights.

We did a float trip through the Tetons and really enjoyed it.
yup.....it's Yellowstone in 2009..........are going to Phoenix as family in 2008...........