Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Yellowstone National or Route 66?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yellowstone National or Route 66?

Starting to plan next summer's family vacation. Which trip would be more "fun" with an 8 and 6 year old (their ages next summer)?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would definitely say Yellowstone. They will love all the bubbling mud, geysers and stinkpots. Heck, we loved it and we are over 50.

If you have time, you can go through the black hills along the way and catch Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yellowstone...

Route 66 is not any fun to a kid (and to tell the truth, not much fun to me except for that LONG STRAIGHT part where I hit 140 mph).. then again.. what part of 66 were you going??
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Definately Yellowstone with the kids. Dh just came back from his third trip there on the bike and loved every minute of it. I'm planning on going next year.

They also stopped at this place last time
http://www.mammothsite.com/

This year they stopped here The Wyoming Dinosaur Center & Dig Sites Dh loved it and I'll bet the kids would too.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Definetly Yellowstone there is so much to see and the kids will love the Buffalo..... it will be something they will remember.

Kathyet
kathyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Yellowstone, especially with kids. DW and I plan to do both TS and R66... but with totally different expectations. YS natural wonders would be of more interest to the kids (and adults should love it as well), R66 is more nostalgia and recent US history which wouldn't be too interesting for young kids, I wouldn't think.

Enjoy your travels!
Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #7

Yellowstone.

Have your kids do the junior ranger program. Yellowstone National Park - Junior Ranger Program (U.S. National Park Service)

If you plan on going horseback riding in the park, the 6 year old will be below the minimum age of 7 in Yellowstone, but right outside the north entrance, you can take a half-day trip to Gardiner, MT and go horseback riding there. We used this outfit and had a blast Horseback Riding in Gardiner, Montana with Flying Pig Adventure
Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Definitely Yellowstone. See the sites and take a river run down the Snake River. I'd love to come along too.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I would definitely say Yellowstone. They will love all the bubbling mud, geysers and stinkpots. Heck, we loved it and we are over 50.

If you have time, you can go through the black hills along the way and catch Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park.

Nice pic!! We did Mount Rushmore last year, and then backtracked to Lincoln Nebraska to see my sister. We saw the Crazy Horse memorial being built from the highway, because I didn't want to pay $25 to see an a construction zone. I got some great picks. We also went to the Corn Palace on the way out.

I looked at a map. I figure half way is Rapid City, where we could stop for two days and do some things we didn't ge to do last time. Then head to Custer National Park for a day, then Yellowstone.

Can we do it in two weeks in a minivan? I think it's doable.............

Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #10

FinanceDude, my dh, his friend and dh's son rode from MA to Yellowstone on their bikes, did it in less than two weeks and still saw 75% of Yellowstone, rode over Beartooth mountian down through Nebraska and then home. It's doable in a mini van

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Yellow
Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Go Yellow

We just returned from a month long trip (out of VA) to the Black Hills of SD, Glacier NP and Yellowstone with our 9 yo daughter. We have a 5th wheel trailer and camped along the way.

I've not taken the Rt. 66 trail but, speaking on behalf of my daughter and knowing the things she enjoyed about this trip, I know she'd opt for the Parks again.

After a month on the road, as we were pulling into our hometown, she exclaimed, "I want to go again next year!"

Yellowstone is broad and deep in its offerings with spectacular thrown in for good measure. Glacier just takes your breath away.

Enjoy!
ijuba is offline   Reply With Quote
I vote for Yellowstone too....
Old 08-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #12

I vote for Yellowstone too....

and suggest, if you have the time, to go south to the Grand Tetons as well. As much as we've enjoyed Yellowstone, my family thinks the Tetons are even more spectacular.

Don't forget to stop and see the Yellowstone Lodge -- it's beautiful!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We went up close to Crazy Horse. Finally it seems like there has been real progress, though the scaffolding on the head looks like a weird hat.

We went to Yellowstone last fall. We went in the north entrance and left through the east entrance. There is a lot of road construction at the east entrance so you might want to check on that before you go.

Your plan sounds good. Custer is ok to do in a day. The important thing is to do the wildlife drive. Try to do it first thing in the morning when all the animals are out. If you are camping, the Custer campgrounds are really nice but you will have to reserve well ahead of time.

Be sure to leave plenty of time for Yellowstone, even if it means skipping other stuff.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I vote for Jellystone and don't miss the Tetons.

UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the help........

interesting sidenote. I asked my 7 year old if he knew what Old Faithful was. His reply? "It's a big geyser of steam water and stuff like that........it's in Wyoming...........

I asked him if he wanted to go, and he said "YES!!!! That would be so cool! When are we going?? How about next week?? "

Man, kids are great.......

Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I check out the Tetons every chance I get...

I would guess that Yellowstone would be more enjoyable for the kiddies.

I'd be interested in at least a partial Rt66 trip, 'cause I'm a bit of a history nut buff. The highway is very fragmented in places, though, and doesn't officially exist anymore...

The Mother Road: Historic Route 66

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Yellowstone, for sure. My family did a cross country trip when I was 6, and from that trip, my recollections of Yellowstone are the strongest. This is going back almost 50 years.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I check out the Tetons every chance I get...
I have to be careful when I check out the "local Tetons".......

Old 08-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I hate oppose everyone else but Yellowstone and the Tetons.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Yellowstone. Parts of 66 can be boring to adults let alone children. In 2002, I did the 66 trip Chicago-Flagstaff AZ, picked up the wife in Phoenix, drove north thru the Grand Canyon, Colorado, Wyoming (Yellowstone), the Dakotas and home. It took almost 3 weeks and had great time
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote