Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is the arline you first flew on still in business ?
yes 41 41.00%
no 59 59.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

January 6, 1970 at the ripe old age of 23. It was in a DC-9 operated by Texas International Airlines (TI), formerly Trans Texas Airlines (TTA), commonly known as "Tree Top Airlines", which merged with Continental and again with United Airlines. So is it still in business? Depends on your perspective.

Not only was this my first airline flight, this was the first time I'd ever set foot in an aircraft of any type.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It was in 1967 and I was 4 years old. My parents and I flew from New York to Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood Florida on YellowBird, which was actually called Northeast YellowBird Airlines. This was before they merged with Delta. I can still picture a TV aid for YellowBird.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #23

19 years old, in 1962 going to the Southwest Conference Track Meet. Flew on a DC-3
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I think the flight was TWA.
Called, by some Arabs, "Travel With Amal".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

A little over 22 years ago, I fly to USA with about 500 dollars in my pocket.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was 3. Flight to Germany 1963. No, I don't remember it at all.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:04 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

1 year old - Guam to USA. I was born there.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #28
Administrator

The very first airplane I flew on was in 1949, from Miami to Cuba. The aircraft was a puddle-jumper, a small unpressurized tail-dragger - - I guess probably a DC-2.

I was one year old, but I am one of those weirdos whose clear memories go back that far. I remember my ears hurting enormously and consequently screaming my brains out (figuratively speaking).

I have no idea what airline that was, so I didn't vote. I doubt it is still flying. I suspect it was just some little fly-by-night.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I was 33 and it was from Portland OR to Chicago and then on to Tampa where we were closing out my late MIL's estate. We got upgraded to first class on the first leg and I thought, wow, this is great. The next leg, not so much. It was United.

My grandmother's first flight was when she was 94 years old. She flew in a smaller plane from Redding, CA to Seattle, WA. She did that three times, I think, the last time was when she was 96.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pan Am to Rome for Easter with the girl scouts back in the dark ages.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

1948, NYC to Chicago. I was two years old, and it's one of my earliest memories. Probably Eastern Airlines, which went out of business about a quarter century ago.

I remember running up and down the center aisle of the plane to blow off steam. My mother teased me for the rest of her life about "walking from New York to Chicago".
Old 10-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The very first airplane I flew on was in 1949, from Miami to Cuba. The aircraft was a puddle-jumper, a small unpressurized tail-dragger - - I guess probably a DC-2.

I was one year old, but I am one of those weirdos whose clear memories go back that far. I remember my ears hurting enormously and consequently screaming my brains out (figuratively speaking).

I have no idea what airline that was, so I didn't vote. I doubt it is still flying. I suspect it was just some little fly-by-night.
Huh. Was almost ten and my family flew to Havana from Florida in 1959 just after Fidel and the guys took over. I remember a prop plane and a scattering of bullet sized holes in a panel between the passenger area and the cabin - but that is probably active imagination. My memory almost stretches to yesterday mostly.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Very young, sort of remember it, late 50's. Chicago to Miami, where my grandparents had retired. A prop or turbo prop, but maybe that was something that was mentioned to me later, or when seeing old pictures.

I'm sure it was TWA, my uncle was a mechanic for them, he got a job with them right after getting out of the service from WWII.

TWA is out of business of course.

-ERD50
Old 10-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #34

I don't really remember it well because I was very little but my parents took my sisters and I on a plane trip to DC when we were young for our first trip. I remember my Mom dressing us all up in our "formal" clothes and it being a big deal.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #35

I was in the 4th grade. My junior Girl Scout troop did a "field trip" outing where we toured San Diego Linbergh field, flew PSA airlines to LA - toured LAX, then flew back... all arranged through PSA. They charged us each $5 for the tour and r/t. It was awesome!

I wasn't sure what to say about whether the airline was still in business since PSA was one of the 4 companies that merged into US Airways... which recently combined with American airlines.... so it's "kind of" still in business in that it never went bankrupt - but it ceased to be PSA in the 80's.

I remember their ad's in the 60's and early 70's as well... Stewardesses (before they were called flight attendants) with micro mini skirts and pill box hats. My how things have changed.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Did you move from the UK to the US, or had you already crossed the Atlantic west to east by ship?
This was my mother and me emigrating to the USA. It was her first time on an airplane as well. She was 21 years old.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #37

Age 15. From Houston to Lubbock. Visit my brother at school. Southwest Airlines still going strong.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

There are some great stories here!
Old 10-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I was in the 4th grade. My junior Girl Scout troop did a "field trip" outing where we toured San Diego Linbergh field, flew PSA airlines to LA - toured LAX, then flew back... all arranged through PSA. They charged us each $5 for the tour and r/t. It was awesome!

I wasn't sure what to say about whether the airline was still in business since PSA was one of the 4 companies that merged into US Airways... which recently combined with American airlines.... so it's "kind of" still in business in that it never went bankrupt - but it ceased to be PSA in the 80's.

I remember their ad's in the 60's and early 70's as well... Stewardesses (before they were called flight attendants) with micro mini skirts and pill box hats. My how things have changed.
PSA owned the west coast short haul routes back then, before southwest.

PSA had mostly 727 and all ex navy pilots. You differently know you landed, they flew them like they were landing on a carrier
Old 10-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #40

First flight was on Braniff, in the early 1970's when I was in my very early 20's. I recall the ticket price for a one way trip for the GF and I was $38. Best $38 I ever spent!