Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is the arline you first flew on still in business ?
yes 41 41.00%
no 59 59.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had to give this some extra thought. I believe that it was a chartered Eastern Provincial Airlines plane on a chartered all inclusive Grand Bahama Island vacation in 1975 from Toronto. This was a delayed honeymoon trip. Cost of the package was $219 CAD pp. It was a morning flight filled with lots of real estate agents. The bar was free and the liqueur was flowing generously. Those folks could really put it away.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
It was a morning flight filled with lots of real estate agents.
OT: January 1981, flew back to Toronto from Dallas, (had been on assignment), on an Air Canada flight packed with Mary Kay 'top sales prizewinners' - I don't think any of them stopped talking long enough to take a breath the entire flight.

/OT

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #103

1964 from Weir Cook (now IND) to JFK on a TWA Boing 727. I was on the first leg of a HS trip to Europe. Interestingly (or not) on this trip, we learned that Ted Kennedy's plane had crashed and that he might not survive. Interesting times. Full disclosure, I had flown in single engine, general aviation aircraft before this firs commercial flight.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

22 years old, last semester in college. The old Austin airport to Midland/Odessa on Southwest Airlines for a job interview.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

It was Piedmont Airlines (now part of American) in 1977, on a 737. My high school senior trip to NYC.

I remember dumping the chaperones and hitting a strip bar on Times Square, and it was no problem ordering cocktails anywhere at age 17. We wanted to go to the top of the Empire State Building, but as the lines were too long for the tourist elevator we took local elevators to the 86th floor, where a guard simply pointed us to the "down" express elevator. (Security? what security?) I'll never forget that the high temperature for the entire trip was around 17 deg.

But I also remember that flight, and how surprised I was at how steep it seemed on takeoff, and how exhilarating and just a little bit scary it all was. Too bad flying is as far from that as you can get, these days.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
no problem ordering cocktails anywhere at age 17.
NYC was a mecca for teenagers in the old days, because the drinking age was 18 when all the surrounding states had a 21 age.
Bartenders and bouncers all knew that half the IDs they saw were fake anyway, so it was pretty laissez-faire.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

First flight as a Pax: 1955 LAX to LAS....DC-3

First flight as the Driver: July/1985 MSP to HNL....DC-10. Things I remember about this flight: warmed mix nuts, 1st class cheese tray, orange sorbet in a carved out orange bowl, Cordon Bleu, laying on Waikiki Beach one hour after landing thinking, "What a wonderful career this is going to be."
Old 10-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
First flight as a Pax: 1955 LAX to LAS....DC-3

First flight as the Driver: July/1985 MSP to HNL....DC-10. Things I remember about this flight: warmed mix nuts,"
Warm nuts ? American Airlines I presume .
Old 10-12-2016, 10:24 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
laying on Waikiki Beach one hour after landing thinking, "What a wonderful career this is going to be."
I should add, it went downhill from there.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Warm nuts ? American Airlines I presume .

Is that a Samsung phone in your pocket?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Your first airline flight
Old 10-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #111

Your first airline flight

I was 7 yrs old in 1963. My dad and I flew from DC to Philly on Piedmont, I think which morphed into US Air (which merged with Delta ?). We took the train back to DC. The whole purpose of the trip was for me to experience different modes of travel.

Edit: it was American not Delta.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:44 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

My first flight was not on an airline. I was so young that I can't actually remember how old I was. My uncle built airplanes in his garage and then flew them from a local tiny air strip.

One day, my uncle took me to the air field "to see his airplane". My mother was going to come up a little later to bring me home and let my uncle continue working on the plane.

As soon as we go their, my uncle said to me "OK. Quick. Hop in. We are going up before she gets here."

What a rush. I was so small, I could barely see over the edge of the two seat cockpit to look down at the ground.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #113

I know I was pretty young, at 3 years old. From DE to HI. 54 years ago. It was probably a military plane, as my father was in the USAF. I really do not remember that flight, but we sure did not drive.

I know I did fly in a military transport plane at ~7 years old, and the luggage was strapped down in the middle of the plane. We were all on benches on each side.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #114

Forgot to mention I was extremely disappointed to find out the windows don't open.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:41 AM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

1976; compliments of the US Air Force on my way to Lackland AFB for basic training. Don't remember the airlines.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Forgot to mention I was extremely disappointed to find out the windows don't open.

You'd have been disappointed in a different way if they had opened...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
You'd have been disappointed in a different way if they had opened...
His last words would have been..."Well, that sucks".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Flight #1 - Age 14, from Los Angeles to Phoenix to visit a boyfriend. All well chaperoned - I stayed with a family friend, and day-visited the boyfriend from there. Loved the flight!

Flight #2 - Age 24, from San Francisco to Los Angeles to explore housing for a corporate transfer we (DH) were going through. Loved the flight!

Flight #3 - Age 33, from LAX to Honolulu to join DH for part of a business conference he had there. Had my first ever experience with turbulence and had an immediate panic attack.

Some 20 years and 100,000+ air miles later, I am still battling turbulence-initiated panic attacks. To say this situation has frustrated me beyond belief would be an understatement because I love to travel. Have dabbled in education (the mechanics of flying), hypnosis, meditation and medication(!). To date a stiff glass of wine immediately upon being seated appears to work best.

EDIT: All the more ironic considering I just remembered I use to go up with my uncle in his private plane when I was around 6 years old, and he would do crazy stunts like rollovers, and I loved them! Wish I had that little person's nerves today.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Flight #1 - Age 14, from Los Angeles to Phoenix to visit a boyfriend. All well chaperoned - I stayed with a family friend, and day-visited the boyfriend from there. Loved the flight!

Flight #2 - Age 24, from San Francisco to Los Angeles to explore housing for a corporate transfer we (DH) were going through. Loved the flight!

Flight #3 - Age 33, from LAX to Honolulu to join DH for part of a business conference he had there. Had my first ever experience with turbulence and had an immediate panic attack.

Some 20 years and 100,000+ air miles later, I am still battling turbulence-initiated panic attacks. To say this situation has frustrated me beyond belief would be an understatement because I love to travel. Have dabbled in education (the mechanics of flying), hypnosis, meditation and medication(!). To date a stiff glass of wine immediately upon being seated appears to work best.

EDIT: All the more ironic considering I just remembered I use to go up with my uncle in his private plane when I was around 6 years old, and he would do crazy stunts like rollovers, and I loved them! Wish I had that little person's nerves today.
I have experienced similar fear of flight. After a few flights as a teen, in my 20s I began to fly frequently. I was doing fine until I was 30, flying with my Mom, when our plane circling over LHR experienced severe turbulence from the vortex of a descending Pan-Am 747. Subsequently I had to fly in a lot of small planes for work, and some of those experiences stoked my anxiety. About 5 years ago I had my scariest landing in the back of a Dash-8 in Calgary, in a severe windstorm. (They closed the airport immediately after we landed). This was not my plane, but it was the same day: https://youtu.be/mneDbYYHfGM

I find that the best remedies are flying with friends who can distract you, not being rushed, flying in the biggest plane available, choosing a seat near the front, and having one alcoholic drink to make me feel mellow.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #120

December 1968 or 69, Baltimore (then called Friendship Airport, now BWI) to Fort Lauderdale on Northeast (the YellowBird) with my family for Christmas vacation in Florida.

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote