Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is the arline you first flew on still in business ?
yes 41 41.00%
no 59 59.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2016, 09:10 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have experienced similar fear of flight. After a few flights as a teen, in my 20s I began to fly frequently. I was doing fine until I was 30, flying with my Mom, when our plane circling over LHR experienced severe turbulence from the vortex of a descending Pan-Am 747. Subsequently I had to fly in a lot of small planes for work, and some of those experiences stoked my anxiety. About 5 years ago I had my scariest landing in the back of a Dash-8 in Calgary, in a severe windstorm. (They closed the airport immediately after we landed). This was not my plane, but it was the same day: https://youtu.be/mneDbYYHfGM

I find that the best remedies are flying with friends who can distract you, not being rushed, flying in the biggest plane available, choosing a seat near the front, and having one alcoholic drink to make me feel mellow.
I did not see an issue with the plane in the video. It was a well executed X-wind landing that happens everyday throughout the country. To help those with flying anxiety in all my years of flying professionally I have experienced severe turbulence only once and it lasted less than five seconds. I have never heard of an aircraft breaking up due to turbulence. Rest assure that the flight crew is doing everything possible to make your ride more comfortable by avoiding it, changing the route, altitude and slowing the aircraft. Also, I have never experienced an engine failure in 44 years of flying.

check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 09:47 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Most Memorable Flight

NAS Cubi Pt. Philippines C2 Greyhound COD aircraft to USS Kitty Hawk on Yankee Station in the Gulf of Tonkin off Viet Nam. As a passenger you are strapped in your seat for 3 hours. No head (bathroom) and very few windows. After overnight on ship catapulted off Kitty Hawk for return to Philippines.

2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:50 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
I did not see an issue with the plane in the video. It was a well executed X-wind landing that happens everyday throughout the country. To help those with flying anxiety in all my years of flying professionally I have experienced severe turbulence only once and it lasted less than five seconds. I have never heard of an aircraft breaking up due to turbulence. Rest assure that the flight crew is doing everything possible to make your ride more comfortable by avoiding it, changing the route, altitude and slowing the aircraft. Also, I have never experienced an engine failure in 44 years of flying.
Thanks. I know all that, but there is a disconnect between my otherwise very rational brain and my amygdala.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you really want to pucker up, try landing at the Kahului Airport in Maui, especially in a 777 or 767. The trade winds funneling between the two dormant volcanoes, over the blowing sugar cane, have always guaranteed a memorable landing.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #125

Mom worked for an executive at a small airport in late 50's. When I was about 9, one of the pilots took me up in a two seat, single engine trainer. Of course, he let me "fly" the plane for a few minutes. I was walking on air, even after we landed.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Oct 1984, from Singapore to Seattle. 24 years old "boat-people" on his way to re-settle in the US.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
If you really want to pucker up, try landing at the Kahului Airport in Maui, especially in a 777 or 767. The trade winds funneling between the two dormant volcanoes, over the blowing sugar cane, have always guaranteed a memorable landing.
Funny, I did that once, and I thought it was pretty normal.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #128

My first plane ride was in the summer of 1964. I was going from New Mexico to see a friend in Florida. I had a three hour layover in Dallas. I was 13 years old, so my parents had asked the airline to keep an eye in me during the layover. They were going to have me sit in their employee lounge.

I sat next to a teacher during the flight to Dallas. She had decided to get a taxi during the layover to go see where President Kennedy had been assassinated. She asked the airline if she could take me with her, because it would be educational. I wanted to go as well.

We had a great time. The Taxi driver showed us all the landmarks related to that day. We returned to the airport in time for our connecting flights.

No one called my parents and asked permission. I don't think anyone even thought of doing that. The airline people were fine with it. I certainly didn't think about calling. I can't imagine that happening in our present day!

When I got home, my parents were concerned and said they wouldn't have let me go, but there wasn't much to do at that point.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
My first plane ride was in the summer of 1964. I was going from New Mexico to see a friend in Florida. I had a three hour layover in Dallas. I was 13 years old, so my parents had asked the airline to keep an eye in me during the layover. They were going to have me sit in their employee lounge.

I sat next to a teacher during the flight to Dallas. She had decided to get a taxi during the layover to go see where President Kennedy had been assassinated. She asked the airline if she could take me with her, because it would be educational. I wanted to go as well.

We had a great time. The Taxi driver showed us all the landmarks related to that day. We returned to the airport in time for our connecting flights.

No one called my parents and asked permission. I don't think anyone even thought of doing that. The airline people were fine with it. I certainly didn't think about calling. I can't imagine that happening in our present day!

When I got home, my parents were concerned and said they wouldn't have let me go, but there wasn't much to do at that point.
That's incredible. It could never happen these days!
Old 11-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #130
Dryer sheet aficionado

Around 1964 or 65. I was around 9 years old. The family went from San Francisco to LA to visit Disneyland in Anaheim.
retiredtuna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

Honestly, I have no idea if the airline is still in business but the question brought back a vivid memory.

I was around 8 years ago. My parents had me thinking flying meant death.

I was traveling with my maternal grandparents, via train, to watch my uncle graduate from the U of Chicago with his Ph.D. Something happened with the train plan in St. Louis and we had to take a plane. I started crying when my grandfather told me because i knew. (this spelled certain death). I remember him kneeling beside me in this huge beautiful train station to tell me more folks die in car accidents than in plane crashes.

They got me on the plane. Before long, my grandmother asked a flight attendant for one of those throw-up bags, which I needed/used.

Man, I was so brave.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Some 20 years and 100,000+ air miles later, I am still battling turbulence-initiated panic attacks. To say this situation has frustrated me beyond belief would be an understatement because I love to travel. Have dabbled in education (the mechanics of flying), hypnosis, meditation and medication(!). To date a stiff glass of wine immediately upon being seated appears to work best.
I've often wondered if a good cure for fear of flying might be taking flying lessons even if only to the point of solo flight, not even getting a private license (which can be pricey). Most people solo with about 10 or 12 hours of instruction. Kind of counter-intuitive perhaps, but it seems logical that after the experience and knowledge that come with that might make commercial flying boring. It is to me, an airliner is just a bus with wings.

And your first solo flight is one of those experiences you will never, ever, forget.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And your first solo flight is one of those experiences you will never, ever, forget.
N5318Q 08-17-1978 ... still have the shirt tail.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
N5318Q 08-17-1978 ... still have the shirt tail.
N18020 5-17-1972(My birthday) Still have the solo certificate
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:05 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I think it was around 1979 N8398M Aircraft N8398M (1969 Cessna A150K Aerobat C/N A15000098) Photo by Terry Fletcher (Photo ID: AC894724) That poor little 150 Aerobat and it's twin sister N 5910J sure put up with a lot of abuse from us Drivers , I mean " PILOTS " at the flight school.

(5910J had a flaky door latch , and a tendency to pop open immediately after rotation )
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
The airplane was N1432V, a J-3 Cub. I'd have to look at the logbook to get the date.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The airplane was N1432V, a J-3 Cub. I'd have to look at the logbook to get the date.
C-150, do not recall the tail number. 1-15-'72. Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, HI.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

My first plane ride was in a float plane over a lake in Kentucky around 1965.