Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is the arline you first flew on still in business ?
yes 41 41.00%
no 59 59.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Your first airline flight
Old 10-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your first airline flight

Do you remember your first flight? What age ? Is the airline still in business ?

I was 6 , 50 years ago, still remember. DC 9 on Continental or Western ? to El Paso. I also remember we got bumped to the first class section. Even remember the in flight meal.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sure. August 1974. I was 17 and it was a family vacation. Aer Lingus Boeing 727, ORK to LHR. I had a window seat and my first views of London at night were exciting. Airline is still in business. I've been fascinated by aviation ever since.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #3

I was 28 and the airline was Eastern. My now ex-wife and I were going to St. Thomas for the honeymoon.

This was not my first flight though, I started taking flying lessons at age 15 with lawn-mowing money but didn't actually get my private license until age 25. (Girls and cars were a distraction.) Soloed in a Piper J-3 Cub and later owned a Tri-pacer for two years well before the airline flight.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #4

Well, my mother used to tell me that I flew on a plane when I was a baby. Found out years later that it was about a month before I was born. Dad was in college and in her delicate condition the doc didn't want her making the road trip between Cincinnati and Akron-Canton. I still have the boarding pass.

My next flight was a one-way from Columbus to CAK. I was 16. Both were on Allegheny Airlines, which is now USAirways. Darn, I guess I clicked on the wrong choice since it was just a name change.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Kitty Hawk. It was a short flight.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #6

Age 7, American Airlines, Detroit to Newark to visit my Aunt.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
Administrator

My first flight was on January 30, 1960, from London Heathrow to Idlewild in NYC. It was one of the brand new Boeing 707's flown by PanAm. This is all as related by my mother, because I was only one year old at the time.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My first flight was on January 30, 1960, from London Heathrow to Idlewild in NYC. It was one of the brand new Boeing 707's flown by PanAm. This is all as related by my mother, because I was only one year old at the time.
Did you move from the UK to the US, or had you already crossed the Atlantic west to east by ship?
Old 10-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Kitty Hawk. It was a short flight.
I didn't know you were that old!
Old 10-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It was 56 years ago, no idea what airline it was - might have been military, they're still in business...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I believe that it was TWA. I was six and we went to Disneyland. The drive from LAX to Anaheim went through miles and miles and miles of orange groves in bloom. Orange County has changed some since then.

I flew this week with a bad cold and forgot to use the decongestant spray on the first leg of the flight. I was close to screaming like the babies on the descent until I got the spray out. It must be absolutely excruciating for the little ones.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #12

I was 19 in 1969. Compliments of the USAF. On my way to Lackland AFB for a few fun weeks in in the sunshine, among other things.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #13

1959, I was 5 years old. New York to Paris, Pan American Boing 707. My dad worked internationally and we were going to be living overseas for 7 months.
They kept giving me free nuts and I kept eating them until I barfed.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #14

Should've had a ¿Quién sabe? option.....my very first flight, in a Beechcraft Bonanza, IIRC, was 1961 from Alice Springs to Wyndham, West Australia.....for most of the flight it was just me and the two pilots.....have no idea if they're still in business.

First real flight was in 1963....Qantas...Singapore to Darwin.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My first trip by air was to Scotland in 1959. Jet travel was still the exception rather than the rule. I went with my mother and brother from Toronto to Prestwick Scotland with a change in Montreal. At that time, many transatlantic flights were still stopping in Gander or Goose Bay but our four-engined turboprop Bristol Britannia went non-stop from Montreal to Scotland. I'm the kid with the bow tie and box under my arm. Trans Atlantic flying still seemed rather exotic then and folks dressed up more. The picture was taken in Prestwick as we were about to board the flight home.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I was 19 in 1969. Compliments of the USAF. On my way to Lackland AFB for a few fun weeks in in the sunshine, among other things.
Me too. USAF but in 1976. It was Eastern airlines and I believe in a box in a closet somewhere I still have the ticket and the little paper folder
Old 10-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #17

Would have been around 1956. San Francisco probably to Burbank (was LAX open then?) to visit family. A propeller plane back then. Steep stairs (too steep for a toddler) and they handed out gum for the descent. Can't recall when Western and PSA started or who flew the route back then.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I didn't vote as I'm not totally sure which airline I flew.

But I'm leaning towards, no, not in business as I think the flight was TWA.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I was an infant. It was BOAC so I voted yes as it merged with BEA to become British Airways. Maybe I should have said no? London- Boston
Old 10-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Swissair 1967 ZRH-GVA. Remember it well - sat in the smoking part (back of the plane) and nearly suffocated.... incredible that anyone thought smoking in an airplane was a good idea. Anyway, Swissair went belly-up and ultimately got picked up by Lufthansa. Another thing I remember about Swissair: free chocolates