Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

The Havasupai Indian Reservation in the Grand Canyon; and Bryce National Park.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Bryce in Winter.

BryceAmphitheater.jpg

Havasupai

havasupai-waterfalls1.jpg

Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Havasupai

I liked it better before the flood and there were twin falls.

305_H-Fmain1.gif
Old 06-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Without a doubt for me it is the Lauterbrunnen Valley just south of Interlaken, Switzerland. Have been going there routinely since the late '70's.

Looking Past Nowhere: Lauterbrunnen Valley

Lauterbrunnen Valley | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Lauterbrunnen des de Wengen / Lauterbrunnen valley seen from Wengen | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There sure a lot of beautiful places in the USA and around the world aren't there.

Fun thread, thanks...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Surprised no one has mentioned New Zealand.

Just about any place on the South Island is fabulous, but the Southern Alps are simply breathtaking.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt

Just about any place on the South Island is fabulous, but the Southern Alps are simply breathtaking.
You are right! My bet is on Milford Sound! Talk about beautiful!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post

Never been there, it's on my short list, though I suspect we'll never make the trip. Not sure we'll ever travel outside the US again, too cheap...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
When I'm with all my Grandkids are in the same place at the same time.
Now that's what I call beautiful.

I've been to several places across the states and Canada and have seen lovely scenery.

When I think about a beautiful place, I think of my Aunt's house in AR. I used to go there when I was a kid. She lived in the country surrounded by hills and pastures. The house was not fancy, but the garden was always full of wonderful things to eat, and the big red barn stood tall and sturdy for years.

Barefoot and bareback, I rode her horse through the grassy pastures and felt like if there was a heaven, surely it must be like her home.

She's been gone a long time now, but I have still have the memories.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
Never been there, it's on my short list, though I suspect we'll never make the trip. Not sure we'll ever travel outside the US again, too cheap...
Go, damn the expense!
I went to New Zealand at a most imperfect time-was burning vacation time at a job I had no intention of keeping, couldn't afford for both DH and I to both go, and had no plan for the next job. But, I did have a friend living in Auckland, homesick for visitors from home, who wouldn't be there for long. So I went, alone, for the first time ever by myself on a trip. And it was good. And worthwhile. And beautiful. And then I came home and soon after quit that job, and life went on. But I never have forgotten the beautiful places I saw there. Go! Now, if you really want to see it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #51

My favorite place is the Eagle Cap Wilderness in the Wallowa Mtns. of Eastern Oregon. It's an incredible experience to backpack there; absolutely beautiful.

This is a great thread, please keep the posts coming!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #52

So many places. So little time.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Actually those are called bluebonnets. Not bluebells. But you are forgiven since Blue Bell is actually another altogether beautiful thing in Texas. It's our little creamery that dishes out portions of ice cream heaven exclusively for us Texans living through another summer of temperature purgatory.

Sorry, hate to break the bad news...but Bluebell's not exclusive to Texas anymore. It's spread out considerably around the country now. Not 100% coverage yet, but it's getting there. I can buy it in NC when I go back to visit family there. They didn't have it in WI yet when I spent a year in 08-09, but I think it was all the way to Illinois, if I'm not mistaken. Or, at least close to there. When I first moved to Austin in 1981, you could only buy it in Texas, and the creamery in Brenham was almost as sacred to Texans as the Alamo...lol. Personally, I'm happy I can get Bluebell in other states now, since it's hand's down my favorite ice cream. I'm especially fond of Rocky Road.

I lived in Austin & Bastrop, and used to love the drive between the two because of all the great wildflowers. When I bought 3 acres near Smithville to build a house, it was covered with bluebonnets & Indian paintbrushes... I reall miss that stuff. I was recently told that some kind of fungus or something had killed of a lot of the flowers. Hate to hear that.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Sorry, hate to break the bad news...but Bluebell's not exclusive to Texas anymore. It's spread out considerably around the country now. Not 100% coverage yet, but it's getting there. I can buy it in NC when I go back to visit family there. They didn't have it in WI yet when I spent a year in 08-09, but I think it was all the way to Illinois, if I'm not mistaken. Or, at least close to there. When I first moved to Austin in 1981, you could only buy it in Texas, and the creamery in Brenham was almost as sacred to Texans as the Alamo...lol. Personally, I'm happy I can get Bluebell in other states now, since it's hand's down my favorite ice cream. I'm especially fond of Rocky Road.
No no no, have you tried their Caramel Turtle Fudge? It's Bluebell heaven. Haven't had any in probably 15 years due to my weight problem but it is sheer nirvana IMO.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No no no, have you tried their Caramel Turtle Fudge? It's Bluebell heaven. Haven't had any in probably 15 years due to my weight problem but it is sheer nirvana IMO.

Thanks a lot! Now, I have to go try some..... Being diabetic with no willpower, I will absolutely blame it on you! jk..... Thanks for the tip!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Thanks a lot! Now, I have to go try some..... Being diabetic with no willpower, I will absolutely blame it on you! jk..... Thanks for the tip!
YW, and I hope you like it as much as I do (did). I am willpower-challenged too, which is why I haven't bought a gallon and then served myself moderate/small amounts once a week or so. I'd rather do without than eat it all at once and end up a couple of pounds heavier.

Sorry for the threadjack, everyone! Bluebell is in Brenham, Texas, which is a beautiful place indeed but not one of my most beautiful places.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

The Little Colorado river inside the Grand Canyon. You can only get there by rafting through the Canyon (or possibly after an arduous hike down from the rim somewhere, but I don't even know if there are any trails).

Dissolved minerals in the Little Colorado paint it an electric blue. It's like Caribbean water inside the Grand Canyon. By far the most stunning thing I've ever seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Little Colorado Grand Canyon.jpg (215.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good
The Little Colorado river inside the Grand Canyon.
Forgot about that spot!
And on a good day, the current flows fast enough that you can shoot the rapids without a kayak. Just lie down in the water and let it carry you through about 200 feet of rapids. Amazing, wonderful place.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Great thread. I agree with several already mentioned. Neuschwanstein castle, Amalfi Coast, Napali coast on Kauai.

A couple I really love not yet mentioned. On top of a couple different ski areas over looking clear blue lake Tahoe in the winter. And sitting on the top level lounge of the Four Seasons hotel overlooking Sydney Harbor. You look right down on the Opera House and across the bay to the bridge. Also love the White Mountains in NH in fall or winter.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
I'd forgotten about that. I loved all the blanco towns.. but Ronda was a favorite.