Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Euro rental car up charges for automatics is just to stick (PI) it to Americans since they know we don't hardly drive standards. You'd think they'd try to be consumer friendly, but no. They also have it their heads that standards are more fuel efficient, but pretty bogus with the multi-gear transmissions of today.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
T. They also have it their heads that standards are more fuel efficient, but pretty bogus with the multi-gear transmissions of today.
Aren't standards also cheaper to buy/repair/maintain?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
The Euro rental car up charges for automatics is just to stick (PI) it to Americans since they know we don't hardly drive standards. You'd think they'd try to be consumer friendly, but no. They also have it their heads that standards are more fuel efficient, but pretty bogus with the multi-gear transmissions of today.
Automatic transmission vehicles are less common and more expensive to buy and operate in Europe than they are in the US. In recent years, manual diesel vehicles have become very popular in Europe because of the lower cost of diesel. They are my default choice.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

2 websites I like for traveling within Europe: ryanair.com and booking.com

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #45

Thanks guys for all the information on travel websites. If I was planning a trip (and I'm through traveling for now), I'd be up all night trying to save a buck--literally.

The biggest enjoyment on a trip is often in the planning. I call it traveling in my mind. And I love traveling for half the price that many people spend. It all comes from the resources available on the internet.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Flights:

Google Flights - super-fast and super-powerful, especially if you have flexible travel dates like we do (tip: use its Save feature to save one-way flights you like and track their price changes over time, be patient, they will fall!)

Twitter - I follow and get notifications on my phone when @airfarewatchdog, @secretflying, and @fly4freecom tweet out flight deals. I snagged $80 r/t flights to Nashville and $70 r/t flights to Dallas this way.

Accomodations:

TripAdvisor - the bible

JetSetter - private great deals on upscale hotels that make them approachable

Hotwire/Priceline along with BetterBidding.com - often great deals and a free adrenaline rush during the reveal!

Airbnb and VRBO - when you are looking to live like the Romans (and when hotels are all booked up because of an event in a city)
Old 06-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I recently started using the saved flights feature of Google Flights. It's interesting seeing the price history on selected flights.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

The biggest enjoyment on a trip is often in the planning. I call it traveling in my mind. ...
This is DW to a "T." While the planning is not actually her biggest enjoyment, she truly enjoys both it and the anticipation of the trip.

Me, I am happy just jumping in the car and seeing where I end up. (but, while working, this is not an optimal approach.)

Will be interesting to see how these respective attributes meld in retirement!
Old 06-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I spend a huge amount of time planning our trips. But I don't particularly enjoy it, and sometimes it's downright aggravating. I mean, it is very interesting, and sometimes exciting, but getting the details squared away can get very, very tedious.

But the payoff is when we things go smoothly on our trip and we have a great time.

Of course I could just sign up for a couple of tours or cruises and then only have to deal with airfare and transfer to the tour/cruise, which is the easy part. But we seem to enjoy the experience more when we're off on our own and can do things at our own pace, and we can change our schedule around at the last minute.

BTW - for a Europe tour I seem to spend just as many full days working on the trip planning as we do on the actual trip! (unless we're returning to some place a second time)
Old 06-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #50

Our choice of vehicle in many parts of Europe would always be a standard transmission. Saves me constantly riding the brakes in some countries. Fortunately I have no problems driving one.

I do not think that the European agencies are sticking it to anyone by charging more for a standard. In Europe, standard transmissions are the most common. Rental agencies buy for this market. I have no doubt that their inventory costs are higher with automatic transmission vehicles.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I just don't understand why automatic was never adopted in Europe, as I believe any gas saving benefit was erased decades ago.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #52

You can get some cheap rentals if you get these tiny cars with 1 liter engines.