Yukon

bld999

Full time employment: Posting here.
A friend and I just finished a 4 day blast from Fairbanks as far north as the arctic circle on the Dempster hiway. The bikes, bmw 800 gs, were rented and well set up for eating miles. If we had 2 more days, we could have made Inuvik on the Beaufort Sea.
We took a shot at seeing Denali after that, but it was clouded in; we did actually see it about an hour out of Fairbanks. Lots of moose [one baby] a brown bear, an urban walking-around-raven in Dawson, several truckloads of rabbits and squirrels, etc.
Great people and huge beautiful country. The missed opportunity on Inuvik means we have to go back another time. :D

Denali over Tanana River

five minutes out

Along the Dempster hiway

At the A.C.

Last edited:
Somewhere I have a pic of me at an Arctic Circle sign along the Dempster. I think it was near this time of year, near Eagle Plains, Yk. and near midnight.

I drove the Dempster to Inuvik in a Jeep GC. 8 flat tires, huge mounts of dust, lots of scenery. While a lot of bikes were making the trip and I saw them in Inuvik, it wouldn't be my dream ride. My only regret was doing it before the road to Tuk opened..

Somewhere I have a pic of me at an Arctic Circle sign along the Dempster. I think it was near this time of year, near Eagle Plains, Yk. and near midnight.

I drove the Dempster to Inuvik in a Jeep GC. 8 flat tires, huge mounts of dust, lots of scenery. While a lot of bikes were making the trip and I saw them in Inuvik, it wouldn't be my dream ride. My only regret was doing it before the road to Tuk opened..

How did you get 8 flats? I'm guessing you drove it when the road was not as improved as it is presently.

Is Tuk a more interesting trip?

I drove it about 8 years ago. The Dempster is, or was, built out of crushed rock. Little pointy sharp pieces get embedded in in your tire treads and act like a nail. You find a lot of people changing tires.

Tuk (Tuktoyaktuk) is another town 60 or so miles N of Inuvik. It is on the Arctic Ocean while Inuvik is on the MacKenzie River. The Dempster has been, or is being extended to Tuk, not sure if that part is open yet.

Back
Top Bottom