Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I attended a 2-hour "informational seminar" about Medicare at the Family Medicine practice where my PCP practices. It's a public service they provide as part of their outreach to the community.

I am a year away from Medicare, but I'm doing my research now.

It was interesting, and although it didn't present a lot of new-to-me information, it did "put it all together" in one easy-to-navigate slideshow, which they emailed to all the attendees afterwards. They also had handouts and snacks - woo hoo!

The main presenter was from the local SHIIP office (Seniors Health Insurance Information Program) and she really knew her stuff. I was surprised at some of the questions from the audience, but then I realized that not everyone has had the benefit of the free Medicare education I have received on this site from those who have "been there, done that" and been kind enough to share their knowledge with others who are coming up behind them.

They even had some pretty nice raffle prizes for those whose ticket numbers they called. My life long luck held firm there, and I didn't win a thing.

It was a good excuse to leave w#ork two hours early, and I did learn a couple of things, so it was time well spent.

If I'm not mistaken, every state has a SHIIP program in place. They will meet one-on-one with folks to help them navigate the Medicare Maze when the time comes. I guess that is similar to what Boomer Benefits does, but in this case you get a real live person to talk to.

Edited to add: apparently SHIIP is called by different names in different states.

https://www.seniorsresourceguide.com...National/SHIP/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!