Join Early Retirement Today

American Life: Secret tape of a regulator.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

American Life: Secret tape of a regulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Last weeks This American Life had very interesting segment on the experience of a Fed regulator who was part of the team in charge of overseeing Goldman Sachs in the Spring of 2009.

Her side of the story was that her fellow regulators were very reluctant to question GS or otherwise make waves. When she started to do so (in her words do her job) she was told to back off, and which point she started recording the meetings.

She eventually got fired and is suing the Fed, so there is obviously an axe to grind her. Still I found her description of the regulator process very plausible and more than a little depressing.

I know we've folks involved in both side of financial regulations, so I'd be interested in their perspective.

P.S the show transcripts are much faster to read, but you miss the cool music and Ira's great radio voice.

What reason was given for her being fired? For 'doing her job' or making illegal recordings?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
What reason was given for her being fired? For 'doing her job' or making illegal recordings?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The FRBNY alleges it was for performance issues.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

This really isn't very surprising if you accept the premise of the article below - which I think I do - that this country has really become more of an oligarchy than a democracy:

Princeton Concludes What Kind of Government America Really Has, and It's Not a Democracy - Mic
Old 11-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
This really isn't very surprising if you accept the premise of the article below - which I think I do - that this country has really become more of an oligarchy than a democracy:

Princeton Concludes What Kind of Government America Really Has, and It's Not a Democracy - Mic
1) Thankfully, we are not and have never been a democracy. So, a bit of a strawman there in the title.
2) Interesting article at link, but I didn't find it persuasive. "Science"? I guess if "social science" and "political science" are "science"
Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
1) Thankfully, we are not and have never been a democracy. So, a bit of a strawman there in the title.
Yeah, California kinda IS a democracy - with all those crazy "propositions" they keep passing - and we see how that's working out.

Quote:
2) Interesting article at link, but I didn't find it persuasive. "Science"? I guess if "social science" and "political science" are "science"
Any science with the word "science" in the name is not really a science ?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live in Minnesota, and one of the guys running for the state legislator had signs promising that he would keep an e-mail/text list that he would poll to decide all of his votes.

He came to my door and couldn't understand why I thought he was a complete idiot.

He lost, but 45% of my neighbors voted for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
Yeah, California kinda IS a democracy - with all those crazy "propositions" they keep passing - and we see how that's working out.