Join Early Retirement Today

And so it begins...CO and MD offer bill for single payer
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

And so it begins...CO and MD offer bill for single payer

Remember that "we're going to be flexible with states" thing that Obama was in agreement with the other day trying to look like a centrist? Any coincidence that these two articles popped up today?

Those lousy Republicans are just obstructionists! Nothing to see here, move along please...

Maryland - Maryland bill to create single-payer system excludes insurance agents | Insurance & Financial Advisor I IFAwebnews.com

Colorado - Colorado Senate panel OKs universal health idea | Denver Business Journal

Vermont - should have an article to link here in a few days....you know they're going to be at the top of this list.

Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Lemme get the popcorn...

Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Suits me. Better yet, have the feddle gubmint pull its pants up and implement a single payor system.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #4

Works for me. The sooner the better.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm on board. Too bad that these are proposals that are not proposed to be fully effective for years.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Suits me. Better yet, have the feddle gubmint pull its pants up and implement a single payor system.
++ Kind of Obamacare plus. We get a marginal national plan so anyone, anywhere can at least be assured that they will have coverage. And the few progressive states that are willing to give it a try can do something more assertive that the Republican plan that Massachusetts implemented. Maybe after a couple of decades of state experiments we will have some good data on what works. Note: I recognize that this leaves out the libertarian, totally unregulated programs that some would like to see tested. But you can't get everything you want in a democracy.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #7

This mess for people under 65 will probably be fixed when I turn 65.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Colorado story seems to say that a committee of the state Senate has sent a bill to the whole Senate which, if approved by both houses & the governor, would set up a study committee to consider the feasibility of a single payor plan.

In Maryland, it appears that the Senate Finance committee has scheduled a public hearing regarding a single payor bill.

I don't live in either state, but it seems they are a looong way from passing anything.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #9

But, none of these plans address the fundamental question: how providers are paid. The payment model (piece work - being paid for each part of a service) remains the same and it is a core element in why health care costs so much.

-- Rita
Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I don't live in either state, but it seems they are a looong way from passing anything.
The Usual Suspects are already pointing out how this will raise unemployment (of insurance folks) and reduce state income (from insurance premium taxes).

Denver Daily - Universal health measure gets approval
Quote:
But Mark Reese, a spokesman for the Colorado Association of Health Plans, said as many as 20,000 people employed by the private health care insurance industry in Colorado could lose their jobs as a result of a universal cooperative.

“There is an economic impact to this bill that is significant,” said Reese. “It impacts many Colorado lives, and it will impact everybody greatly, and how the general fund is funded, and every individual’s responsibility, whether it’s via income tax or another form of supplying that general fund so the state can continue on in its business.”
I think we all know where the Job Killing Colorado Health Care Cooperative bill will eventually go.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette

The Usual Suspects are already pointing out how this will raise unemployment (of insurance folks) and reduce state income (from insurance premium taxes).
I live in Colorado and I don't care if those who work for health insurance need to find new jobs. I also don't care if war profiteers lose revenue if there is peace on earth.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I also don't care if war profiteers lose revenue if there is peace on earth.
Threadjack, anyone?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies

Threadjack, anyone?
I responded on topic with a comparison. Any response to that comparison needs to be on topic.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I just read TWO DAYS THAT RUINED YOUR HEALTH CARE. BY. William Waters. A very concise read about how we go into this mess. Unfortunately there is no way out now. We have reached the point that the majority of voters really truly sincerely believe that some how "the government" and can magically make high quality health care appear out of thin air.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
We have reached the point that the majority of voters really truly sincerely believe that some how "the government" and can magically make everyone's life better out of thin air.
There fixed it for you.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Originally Posted by Sevo
We have reached the point that the majority of voters really truly sincerely believe that some how "the government" and can magically make everyone's life better out of thin air.
There fixed it for you.

Thanks you did fix it.
Hang on and hope that's all we can do now.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

So when we're no longer producing 70% of medicine and equipment, can no longer subsidize other country's national healthcare plans, and other country's pharmacies aren't able to make a profit by sending drugs here before or if ever their own countries get it (GlaxoSmithKline has or had a nice little time table on their site demonstrating this), then will people finally believe national healthcare plans don't work? Or are we just going to test to catastrophic failure?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
"the government" and can magically make everyone's life better out of thin air.
So can Santa, the Easter Bunny, and other such myths ...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Human nature has not changed in thousands of years... We will test to catastrophe. A common feature of almost all cultures is that people are far more comfortable with equality of poverty than they are with the idea that they have less than their neighbor no matter how good their standard of living is. My hope is that we have some more years left before we see wide spread failure.

Just pray the Chinese will continue to loan us 40 cents of every dollars that we spend to keep medicare and medicaid checks flowing. If they stop loaning I personally just have no idea what is going to happen.

all we can do now is hang on and hope for the best.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
So when we're no longer producing 70% of medicine and equipment, can no longer subsidize other country's national healthcare plans, and other country's pharmacies aren't able to make a profit by sending drugs here before or if ever their own countries get it (GlaxoSmithKline has or had a nice little time table on their site demonstrating this), then will people finally believe national healthcare plans don't work? Or are we just going to test to catastrophic failure?
I'm not entirely sure we're under any obligation to support corporations that entered into bad deals elsewhere, through paying top dollar for products that they sell for less elsewhere.

We're already engaged in testing for catastrophic failure.