Argentina

Well since this thread is titled in Argentina, let me ask:
1. Has anyone been there for an extended period of time say in the last 5 years or so?
2. Is there anybody on this site that moved there and if so are you happy about it or do you you regret it?
3. Is anyone thinking about or researching retireing there (or moving there for a year or so to give it a test run)?

Thanks

Last edited:
search on Argentina on this board (not just in the titles). There are several threads of interest, and IIRC, there are links to other boards you may find interesting.

It appears to me that one needs to be very careful moving to Argentina. Do your homework.

If you learn Spanish, most of the western hemisphere is open to you.

1. Has anyone been there for an extended period of time say in the last 5 years or so?
2. Is there anybody on this site that moved there and if so are you happy about it or do you you regret it?
3. Is anyone thinking about or researching retireing there (or moving there for a year or so to give it a test run)?

Thanks

I do not live there but was last there about 3 weeks ago. It is a lovely country and BA is a world class city! I would live there but prefer the weather in Lima. What part are you interested in moving to?

We spent a few weeks in Argentina and absolutely love the country. You can select pretty much any environment, size of city/town, and lifestyle pace you desire. Buenos Aires is amazing and was one of 3 places in the world we considered staying for 6 months or so. It is a big city so there is a wide variety of different neighborhoods depending on what suits your goals.

Alternatively Mendoza is slightly smaller and warmer. Plus, you will be living near many vineyards and have your selection of new wines to fall in love with.

While you can "get by" speaking English I think that you only really get a feel for the country and people when you learn the language.

The list of great places to stay is very long and will just depend on your personal goals and desires. I would love to hear what you decide.

We went for a week almost 2 years ago. Not extended, but long enough to see the highlights of Buenos Aires and get out of the city a little ways. Some parts are slummy and a little intimidating (we almost got mugged). But other parts are really beautiful and remind me of Europe (though I have never been to Europe!). DW and I said we could get used to living there, especially the nice parts (near the waterfront area of BA). Beautiful weather when we were there in March as well.

The spanish was tricky - my Mexican accented spanish I learned in school in the US and from lengthy stays in Mexico only got me so far. The rioplatense dialect they speak in Uruguay and Argentina was challenging to say the least to this non-native speaker of spanish. By the end of the week I was rocking and rolling again, but when we first stepped off the plane I felt like the people were speaking Mandarin to me.

I'll echo another poster - check out the search function, as I know I posted a few detailed posts about the trip, and I know there have been a few others on here who have traveled there in the last few years and provided trip reports.

I want to thank everyone who responded yo my request for info on Argentina. Lots of good points and yes I have alot of research to do both n this board and other places. Anyway, I have a couple of years before I'll be ready to relo out of the D.C. area. You know if I do go to visit Argentina I can always bring my daughter and her boyfriend (who is US born but has family in Argntina and can speak the Spanish with that dialect). Ughhh... twenty somethings, let me rethink that, LOL.

Hey, pro,

With your connections, you have a much better chance for a good outcome.

If you do get that far, consider Tigre or San Isidro. Safer, nice suburbs.

Myself, I have one eye on Mendoza, at least for a visit--perhaps extended, perhaps not.

A few of the downsides of living in Argentina: the gov't is making it more difficult to buy US$.
The Argentine government has imposed new restrictions on the purchase of US dollars, in an attempt to reduce capital flight and tax evasion. BBC News - Argentina tightens dollar exchange controls
They nationalized pension funds a few years ago
BUENOS AIRES, Oct 21 , 2008 (IPS) - Against the backdrop of the current global financial turmoil, Argentine President Cristina Fernández on Tuesday proposed the elimination of the privately administered retirement accounts created 14 years ago. ARGENTINA: Govt Announces End of Private Pension Funds - IPS ipsnews.net
The gov't has also been manipulating the CPI (Methodological Concerns Argentine CPI - International Statistical Institute) This is a problem when local currency accounts pay interest based on official CPI calculations but actual prices are different.

Hmmm...sounds like too much long term risk uncertainty/risk. Plus it is kind far away (and plane flights to the east coast have to go through the south atlantic anonomoly - an area where's the earth magnetic field is pretty much gone) Maybe a nice to place to visit. Also, can't without dollars...just say no to the Argentianian peso!!!!

Maybe I'll do some research on Cuba...they look they are opening up, maybe the US and CUBA will kiss and make up in the next few years, LOL.

Uncertainty and risk - yes. Probably more than most other large Latin American countries, because the politics are so unstable. And a very long plane ride. Argentina is a lovely country and BA has fantastic architecture. A majestic city and a great tourist destination.

Cuba. Now that's another location not many bring up. A few things need to change for it to be an option, and that may be a while yet. I remember back when I was a sales rep ( a long time ago, petroleum was $10 a barrel) at a cookout with a group of cubans that were speculating (over cuba libres) that Fidel had to fall "any day now" because things were "unsustainable". They were all making plans regarding what they would do for work once they returned. Still planning, I guess.

I've not been there but know many that have, including my BIL who knows the island quite well. He sees it as a very reasonable option. Location is great, the food is very tasty (as long as you like pork, rice and beans) the people are friendly and have a great sense of humor. It is hot and hurricanes give it a hard time. Still, it could be a good option someday.

There are more stable places, but whatever floats your boat.

Also, never bring anything that you couldn't walk away from, just in case everything goes to hell and you have to run for the airport. Also a good philosophy considering petty theft and other conversion actions that you may fall prey to.

Also a good philosophy considering petty theft and other conversion actions that you may fall prey to.
People who are used to living in favored areas of the US are in for a shock in many other countries outside of Northern Europe and some East Asian countries.

Sometimes I see women leaving an open purse on the counter or the floor, and walk off to pick up a forgotten food item at the supermarket.

I used to hang out in a Tully's Coffee House in Lincoln Square across the sky-bridge from Bellevue Square. Sometimes women would get up and go off to restroom leaving a laptop on the table behind them. I think these are not very good moves here, but very likely would produce some loss in many other US locations, and in even more worldwide locations.

Ha

Hmmm...sounds like too much long term risk uncertainty/risk. Plus it is kind far away (and plane flights to the east coast have to go through the south atlantic anonomoly - an area where's the earth magnetic field is pretty much gone) Maybe a nice to place to visit. Also, can't without dollars...just say no to the Argentianian peso!!!!

Maybe I'll do some research on Cuba...they look they are opening up, maybe the US and CUBA will kiss and make up in the next few years, LOL.

What are you looking for - a place to live long term or to spend a few months a year? We've been traveling a bit and would love to give some feedback if you like. Plus I am sure this group could cover much of the world with ideas and thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom