Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't see how anyone who wishes to be a "public servant" could stand the current political climate... I'd have told them all to eff off a long time ago!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Boehner epitomizes the analogy we use around here about when to retire: the bucket of BS in one hand was far outweighing the bucket of fun and challenge in the other hand. Time to go. But I agree with others - rarely do these guys leave the field. They end up making a fortune lobbying their former peers. Lets call it early semi-retirement.
I'll be disappointed/more cynical if he rolls into lobbying, but many in Congress have, we'll see...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Really not that big of a surprise and had to be a thankless job, hope JB enjoys his retirement.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I don't see how anyone who wishes to be a "public servant" could stand the current political climate... I'd have told them all to eff off a long time ago!
Many of the best did - and we're left with what we have. We get what we deserve...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #25

Just a reminder, very easy to get off topic on this one so we want to stay close to the original thread topic.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just a reminder, very easy to get off topic on this one so we want to stay close to the original thread topic.

Just commenting on how quickly the BS bucket would fill...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #27

I thought the "big name" who was retiring was Kenny Rogers.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

SW Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
This could be controversial, but where does everyone think he'll wind up? Sun City, or is he more The Villages material?
Marco Island, Florida. He's already got a place there that he bought 2-3 years' ago. Of course the size of his posse will be a whole lot smaller after he leaves the House...
Hope he enjoys his retirement; however long it lasts.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
He was ELATED!. He truly was happy to be done with his career. He literally sang Zippity Doo Dah!
I can SO relate to that feeling! On the day I retired, I was singing this song to myself which I think is a terrific retirement day song (sorry about the German but I couldn't find a better version and I love the photos!):

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

He also bought a home on Catawba Island on Lake Erie in the spring of 2014.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I would be too if I was getting a pension check the size of his.
I couldn't help doing the math. As a member of congress first elected in 1990, he would be under the FERS system.

MOC used to get a special factor. His benefit would be:
(average of highest 3 years) x ( 20 x .017 + 4 x .010 ) =
(about $220,000) x ( .38 ) = $83,600. I assume that's COLA'd

He also gets SS.

Open Secrets has assets of $2.3 - $6.8 million in 2013. That's just a list of stocks and bonds, nothing on real estate. https://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/ass...&cid=N00003675

Of course, I'd like to believe that if I were in his shoes I'd retire to my golf course home, maybe write my memoirs. I have to agree with the OP that I'd be tired of the political climate.

But, former politicians can really cash in if they want to. They can get income from corporate boards, consulting, K Street, or speaking fees.

Maybe some reporter will do a follow up in a couple years.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #32

Don't forget his pension along with his wealth. He has no reason to join a lobbying firm or garner speaker's fees.

I loved the "Zippity doo dah" entrance. That's how we all should feel walking out the work door for the last time. This is a guy looking at real retirement. I hope he enjoys a long and happy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #33

There was an article in the current edition (went to print before the annoucement I guess) of The Economist mentioning him a few times and the various pressures he was under.

Good for him he found the exit.

Usually when you leave a stressful employer one leaves too late and the rebound in happiness is enormous (from my own limited experience). Hope he finds a good way to spend his day in continous bliss!
Old 09-27-2015, 11:57 PM   #34

I don't like Boehner but I can surely appreciate the competing pressures pulling him in opposite directions at the same time. He simply had enough and decided to get out before they completely overtook him. I wish him well.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
One of my life sayings that I like to apply is "Always go home on a high note". I would often use this when to leave for the day, but you can also apply it to a career.

After J.B.'s day yesterday with the Pope and the associated positive experience, how could he beat that?

-gauss
Agreed. Regardless of his BS bucket overflow, which was obvious, it pays to be smart about one's departure in the context of OMY and try to do it with class and in such a way that it leaves one more options post-job than fewer. He was facing a looming and ugly government shutdown over divisive social issues under his watch, followed by a likely no-confidence vote that he could have won but that would have wounded him. This way, he leaves having dodged the first, pre-empted the second, and is even enjoying a halo effect by getting credit for bringing a popular Pope to the capitol. He'll now be able to exercise all of the financial and media options available to a former speaker and elder statesman who chose his exit conditions well, rather than being forced out and damaged, with the usual recriminations and defensiveness that can come with that kind of departure. Instead of that route, he's just given us a proper clinic in how to quit an impossible job in a way that actually makes one appear to be stronger. As we know, perception is reality in a high-profile role. Hats off to him for playing a bad hand well.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

One nice thing about being FI and RE is that you can call out the jackasses in the world. I'll admit that I liked the subtlety of his delivery... rather than directly calling Cruz a jackass on air he snookered John Dickerson into doing so by referring to a previous speech he had made. Priceless.

How many of us wanted to do something like this a=on our way out the door?

Quote:
From Face The Nation, September 27 2015

DICKERSON: Is Ted Cruz a false prophet?

BOEHNER: Listen, you can pick a lot of names out. I'll let you choose them.

DICKERSON: You don't debate that assertion?

BOEHNER: I'll refer you to my remark at a fund-raiser I made in August in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

[a little later]

DICKERSON: Let me ask you about the -- by the way, you called Ted -- I believe the word you used was jackass, referring to Senator Cruz.

BOEHNER: I'm referring to that same remark.

DICKERSON: All right. All right.

We have buttoned that up for the American people.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2015, 01:55 AM   #37

I Hope I am wrong , but listening to him speaking with reporters, he seems eerily like people I have seen retiring due to very serious medical conditions, and not wanting the real reason publicized. Boehner is a heavy smoker, POTUS is too, and that has always worried me.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post

Open Secrets has assets of $2.3 - $6.8 million in 2013. That's just a list of stocks and bonds, nothing on real estate. https://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/ass...&cid=N00003675
My gym is down the block from his DC row house, I see the protection detail waiting for him in their SUV frequently. That house is worth $1 million+. And that is just his DC place. He has to have another abode in his home district. My guess is that he will do something around town and keep the row house but, if he moves home, it would sell in a week in today's Capitol Hill market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Agreed. Regardless of his BS bucket overflow, which was obvious, it pays to be smart about one's departure in the context of OMY and try to do it with class and in such a way that it leaves one more options post-job than fewer. He was facing a looming and ugly government shutdown over divisive social issues under his watch, followed by a likely no-confidence vote that he could have won but that would have wounded him. This way, he leaves having dodged the first, pre-empted the second, and is even enjoying a halo effect by getting credit for bringing a popular Pope to the capitol. He'll now be able to exercise all of the financial and media options available to a former speaker and elder statesman who chose his exit conditions well, rather than being forced out and damaged, with the usual recriminations and defensiveness that can come with that kind of departure. Instead of that route, he's just given us a proper clinic in how to quit an impossible job in a way that actually makes one appear to be stronger. As we know, perception is reality in a high-profile role. Hats off to him for playing a bad hand well.
+1 He was going to leave sooner or later and he made his move in as positive a manner as possible.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
That house is worth $1 million+. And that is just his DC place. He has to have another abode in his home district.
His home district place, bought in 1993, has a property valuation of $475K according to the county auditor. Pretty standard for that neighborhood.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

He's probably enjoying the fact that it is very obvious right now that his most vociferous critics are not actually eager to do the job themselves. "You think you can do better--Okay! You are welcome to it!" Crickets (mostly).