Big name retirement announced today.

rodi

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Please note - this is NOT a thread about the politics or policies of Congress. It's about the reaction of a man in public life announcing his plans to retire.

I just finished watching the press conference where John Boehner, speaker of the house, congressmen of 25 years, announced he's leaving at the end of October.

He was ELATED!. He truly was happy to be done with his career. He literally sang Zippity Doo Dah!

That should inspire those who are stuck in OMY mode.... Once you make up your mind to leave - it's a huge weight off of you.

Again - please don't make this about politics.

I watched this today and to me his body language said "Your problems now suckers, I'm headed off to play golf and drink Margaritas." That was truly a non-partisan moment!

He was ELATED!. He truly was happy to be done with his career. He literally sang Zippity Doo Dah!

I would be too if I was getting a pension check the size of his.

I suspect that he will be keeping himself very busy both speaking as well as writing his memoirs. I think that his version of retirement will be a job change more than a slowing down of his pace, but he will be more in control of his time in his new career.

Then again, he could just go fishing.

I will note that this works out well for us, since we are planning to visit the Smithsonian next week, if it is open.

I just finished watching the press conference where John Boehner, speaker of the house, congressmen of 25 years, announced he's leaving at the end of October.

That should inspire those who are stuck in OMY mode.... Once you make up your mind to leave - it's a huge weight off of you.

Again - please don't make this about politics.

One of my life sayings that I like to apply is "Always go home on a high note". I would often use this when to leave for the day, but you can also apply it to a career.

After J.B.'s day yesterday with the Pope and the associated positive experience, how could he beat that?

-gauss

Good for him.

I thought that his response to Nancy Cordes of CBS News question on whether he had had enough (if his bs bucket was overflowing) was very gracious. Not at all unexpected but I would love to be a fly on the wall of his mind as to what he really wanted to say. :D

Last edited:
Good for him.

I thought that his response to Nancy Cordes of CBS News question on whether he had had enough (if his bs bucket was overflowing) was very gracious. Not at all unexpected but I would love to be a fly on the wall of his mind as to what he really wanted to say. :D

+1 I was thinking that after a number of the questions. We now all know that he has the gift of self-control. Something, unfortunately, I still haven't learned.

Having watched Mr. Boehner break into tears as the Pope spoke yesterday, I can't help but wonder if this has been on his mind for a while and he was either pushed to the decision after hearing the Pope talk, or had his decision reinforced and all doubts swept away.

The contest for a new Speaker should be interesting. Keep in mind the Speaker is #1 in line to be President if something should happen to the Potus or the Vice Potus.

I watched this today and to me his body language said "Your problems now suckers, I'm headed off to play golf and drink Margaritas." That was truly a non-partisan moment!

Now he can relax with a fruity drink or a good whiskey after a masseuse named 'MoonShadow' walks on his spine. Assuming Mrs. Boehner doesn't object. :D

I would be too if I was getting a pension check the size of his.

I was thinking the same thing. He was very well paid and will get exceptional retirement benefits. If I were in his position I would retire at the same time. He won't need the money but if he wants to make big money for little work he could go on to do interviews and speeches at whatever frequency he chooses.

If he ever decides to publish what he really thinks about Congress, it would be an interesting read whatever your political persuasion. I hope he does. On the other hand, just going fishing might just be a more attractive option :)

After J.B.'s day yesterday with the Pope and the associated positive experience, how could he beat that?
Agreed. And the coming weeks/months looked like they would be full of acrimony for him, so this was the last chance for him to leave on a relatively high note.
Today it was very clear he was happy with his decision. I wish him all the best.

He's 65. He's overdue for retirement. Good for him. I'm glad he recognized that it was time to pull the plug.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Boehner epitomizes the analogy we use around here about when to retire: the bucket of BS in one hand was far outweighing the bucket of fun and challenge in the other hand. Time to go. But I agree with others - rarely do these guys leave the field. They end up making a fortune lobbying their former peers. Lets call it early semi-retirement. :)

I don't see how anyone who wishes to be a "public servant" could stand the current political climate... I'd have told them all to eff off a long time ago!

Boehner epitomizes the analogy we use around here about when to retire: the bucket of BS in one hand was far outweighing the bucket of fun and challenge in the other hand. Time to go. But I agree with others - rarely do these guys leave the field. They end up making a fortune lobbying their former peers. Lets call it early semi-retirement. :)
I'll be disappointed/more cynical if he rolls into lobbying, but many in Congress have, we'll see...

Really not that big of a surprise and had to be a thankless job, hope JB enjoys his retirement.

I don't see how anyone who wishes to be a "public servant" could stand the current political climate... I'd have told them all to eff off a long time ago!
Many of the best did - and we're left with what we have. We get what we deserve...

Just a reminder, very easy to get off topic on this one so we want to stay close to the original thread topic. :)

Back
Top Bottom