Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Bloomberg Soda Ban Blocked
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bloomberg Soda Ban Blocked

Though I totally agree the nation is getting more and more unhealthy, I agree with the soda ban blocked.

Judge strikes down New York City ban on large sugary drinks - latimes.com

Heck...first large soda, then what? Cartons of cigarettes and big bottles of booze?

Not to mention enforcement of naptime?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, if Bloomberg paid for my Healthcare then maybe he should have a say in my lifestyle choices. Since he does not, buzz off Bloomey! Anyway, I think its more a lack of movement than the consumption of sugar that makes us fat.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Dumb law...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Dumb law...
No kidding. Like someone wouldn't just buy two mediums instead of one extra large.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
No kidding. Like someone wouldn't just buy two mediums instead of one extra large.
"I'll have two triple cheeseburgers, a large order of fries, and a super large diet cola two medium diet colas..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And what really concerns me, is the 'opportunity cost' - don't these guys have some real problems to address? Last time I checked, most places had budget issues, crime issues, pension issues, unemployment issues - the list goes on and on.

But no, we will try to micro-manage your soda purchases.

Makes me want to scream. Sometimes I do, and DW calls down, "What's all the racket about!", "Nothing, I'm just yelling at the TV (again)!".

-ERD50
Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

Bloomberg is a smart man, but a terrible nanny.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Isn't the way to get people to modify their behavior to offer them incentives (carrots) rather than prohibitions (sticks)?

He could use some of his billions for rewards for New Yorkers to lose weight, increase fitness, etc., couldn't he? After all, that has been proven to work.

But no, he likes to just tell them what to do and demand obedience.

Bloomberg is also the guy waging a constant war against other citizens having 2nd Amendment rights, yet he travels with armed bodyguards. Consistency is not his forte.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

"I'll have two triple cheeseburgers, a large order of fries, and a super large diet cola two medium diet colas..."
I have been known many years ago to order the Diet Coke with my hot fudge sundae. D'oh!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The 'law' should have been overturned...

And if you read about it, there actually was no 'law'.... it was not passed by the city, but was created by the health dept....

I know that here in Texas the regulator have a lot of power and can make 'laws' like this one... I do not like it, but it happens all the time...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Bloomberg is was a smart man, but a terrible nanny.
Now he's just a senile old control freak. Doesn't he have more important things to worry about rather than someone getting their 32oz of Coke in 1 glass or 2?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Dumb law...
+1
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #13

The whole thing with this law is stupid. I'm not arguing obesity and what should or should not be eaten and how this law comes into play. I'm talking the fact that the rule only applies to those establishments that fall under the laws of the city and not the state. As I understand it, restaurants and fast food places must abide by the law but not convenient stores like 7-11's, mini marts and other gas station/carryouts. Those facilities are not under city control so you can still get a "big gulp" or similar giant drink at those places. How stupid is that?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Good intentions, obesity is a serious issue IMO, don't we rail about healthcare costs here every day (and obesity is one of many factors)? But it's easy to fault the law he put forth, so not surprising that it's fallen.

I am not all that familiar with Bloomberg. But it's interesting how many people carry on about politicians who can't get anything done-play it safe-follow party lines/special interests, and yet when one comes along that tries to think outside the box and do something proactive, he's a &*%^#. Somehow I suspect this setback is all in a day's work for Bloomberg, if he can find another way to shift the curve on obesity, I assume he will. We'd all benefit from a healthier society, individually and/or collectively. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have been known many years ago to order the Diet Coke with my hot fudge sundae. D'oh!
Years ago I used to work with a lady (rather large lady) that used to have a "Tab" (the one calorie cola) and a package of twinkies for lunch
Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
Years ago I used to work with a lady (rather large lady) that used to have a "Tab" (the one calorie cola) and a package of twinkies for lunch
Didn't she also tell you 'they cancel each other out?'

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I am not all that familiar with Bloomberg. But it's interesting how many people carry on about politicians who can't get anything done-play it safe-follow party lines/special interests, and yet when one comes along that tries to think outside the box and do something proactive, he's a &*%^#.
Yes, but a stupid idea is a stupid idea, regardless if it is 'inside the box', 'outside the box', or it is the box (I'll leave out quantum mechanics where it might be both at the same time?). I'm judging it on merit alone, not the intention or creativity or anything else. Results matter.

Considering the usual 'herding cats' tendency of this forum, there is an interesting and unusual consensus on this subject. It's a stupid law.

Oh, and to proactively address a 'criticize with no better idea' response - yes, I have a better idea. Education, maybe positive incentives (not necessarily $, but social status, awareness, etc). Just because that may not have worked in the past does not make it a bad idea, maybe just a new/better approach is in order.

-ERD50
Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Mississippi just passed the anti-Bloomberg law:

Mississippi passes anti-Bloomberg soda law | TheBlaze.com
Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Good intentions, obesity is a serious issue IMO, don't we rail about healthcare costs here every day (and obesity is one of many factors)? But it's easy to fault the law he put forth, so not surprising that it's fallen.

I am not all that familiar with Bloomberg. But it's interesting how many people carry on about politicians who can't get anything done-play it safe-follow party lines/special interests, and yet when one comes along that tries to think outside the box and do something proactive, he's a &*%^#. Somehow I suspect this setback is all in a day's work for Bloomberg, if he can find another way to shift the curve on obesity, I assume he will. We'd all benefit from a healthier society, individually and/or collectively. YMMV
Yes, but a nanny state is a nanny state... and I do not want to live in a nanny state...

Any why stop at large sugar drinks Why not ban those big pizza slices they sell... or ice cream... or donuts, or the hot dog carts or bagel carts etc. etc... Also, what if I wanted a large diet drink I would not be allowed since I might fill it up with a sugar drink....

Yep, stupid law... and probably would not have made a single person lose a single pound of weight....
Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack

I assume the Mayor didn't read (or maybe he did, but disputes the findings) one of our recent threads that showed statistics that state obese people and smokers over the course of their life consume less healthcare dollars than healthy people do?