Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

BLS says 20 somethings retiring at record pace
Old 01-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

BLS says 20 somethings retiring at record pace

The BLS has numbers on why people are not participating in the job market. One surprising result is that 20 somethings are retiring at twice the previous pace:

Yellen's Job Puzzle: Why Are 20-Somethings Retiring? - Bloomberg Business

Quote:
How come more people are retiring in their early 20s? Why are middle-age men becoming stay-at-home dads? What's keeping women out of the workforce other than illness, kids or school?

What's more unusual is that the share of 20- to 24-year-olds who say they're retired doubled from 2004 to 2014.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Article: Yellen's Job Puzzle: Why Are 20-Somethings Retiring?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Article: Yellen's Job Puzzle: Why Are 20-Somethings Retiring?

Thought you all might find this interesting.

Yellen's Job Puzzle: Why Are 20-Somethings Retiring?

Yellen's Job Puzzle: Why Are 20-Somethings Retiring? - Bloomberg Business

"For Americans between the ages of 20 and 24, the share of those sidelined over the past decade because they were in school increased, unsurprisingly, during the decade that included the Great Recession. What's more unusual is that the share of 20- to 24-year-olds who say they're retired doubled from 2004 to 2014."
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Nothing a little immigration cannot fix.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The data also show, perhaps not surprisingly, that men and women without a high-school diploma are more than three times as likely to be out of the workforce than their peers with a college degree.
The paths to early retirement are many. Often, I wondered why I waited so long. No one in the USA needs to work, we can import all our labor needs.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #5

Here is the USA, no one has to work. It is strictly a volunteer effort.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 01-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
The paths to early retirement are many. Often, I wondered why I waited so long. No one in the USA needs to work, we can import all our labor needs.
Yes, that works beautifully, just as Germany's post war program of importing workers from Turkey had no downside. A lazy nation eventually gets it in the neck.

Ha
Old 01-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
Administrator

Threads merged
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm not buying the "retired" label at 25.

Might be a nice word to use but unless they're trust funders it isn't reflecting what they're really doing: sponging off mom and dad.

If being unemployed/lazy/unemployable makes you feel better by calling yourself retired at 25, well, good for you but....

Retired implies a certain level of FI which I just don't see in most 25 y.o.s
Old 01-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Doubled - 1% to 2%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retired 20.JPG (10.4 KB, 411 views)
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Doubled - 1% to 2%
exactly!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'm not buying the "retired" label at 25.

Might be a nice word to use but unless they're trust funders it isn't reflecting what they're really doing: sponging off mom and dad.

If being unemployed/lazy/unemployable makes you feel better by calling yourself retired at 25, well, good for you but....

A friend's husband almost made the 20's and retired category - he was 30 when he sold his tech business and retired. Right place, right time, frugal lifestyle. My friend continued to work till a few years ago - but retired at 50 to join her husband.

And no - he wasn't living off of her income... they had an equitable division of bills.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

All the 20 somethings retire to Portland.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Look at the BLS report. Only 0.6% of 20-24 are "retired".

So roughly the top half of the 1%. Probably plenty of trust fund kids and dot com/tech entrepreneurs in that bunch. Not an entirely unreasonable statistic.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #14

If I had married a highly compensated professional at 29, I'd gladly quit work to take care of the house and play disc golf. I'd probably even call myself retired. it'd still be 13 years of FICA accredited salary under my belt, plus 10 years of toiling under my mother's stern eye.

I wonder how many of these retired 20-somethings are simply married folks who decided they could live under the traditional, single salary paradigm? No need to assume a majority are sponging off mom and dad.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The BLS report footnotes say the "retired" category is self-reported and defined by no one (or noone, as it were--hi, Noone!), so as in the blogosphere, "retired" can mean anything anyone chooses it to mean.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The BLS report footnotes say the "retired" category is self-reported and defined by no one (or noone, as it were--hi, Noone!), so as in the blogosphere, "retired" can mean anything anyone chooses it to mean.
Noone reads your posts.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #17

A silly bit of journalism. Doubled from 1% to 2% and well within the error range of the survey on a self reported label that has a strong possibility to appeal to sarcastic people mismarking an answer. Nothing to see here.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:58 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

As long as we are speculating...to me, it sounds like "retired" may be the term of the moment for "not working." Since the people are so young, they may get a quirky satisfaction out of invoking a term usually reserved for people their grandparents' age.

But what do I know...all the 20-somethings of my acquaintance have jobs. Usually, ones that come with uniforms.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:53 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
A friend's husband almost made the 20's and retired category - he was 30 when he sold his tech business and retired. Right place, right time, frugal lifestyle. My friend continued to work till a few years ago - but retired at 50 to join her husband.

And no - he wasn't living off of her income... they had an equitable division of bills.
Sure. There's always some out there in that category.

When I was in high school over half the guys there were trust fund babies who never had any plan to get a job, ever; none of them were claiming to be 'retired' (and 50 years later still don't!).

I still think it's now the latest buzz word for unemployed; as noted, the 'doubling' is from 1% to 2% and likely a sarcastic mismarking of an answer.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
True, but if you can 'retire', and live like many seniors, what is the difference?

Many people that have worked their entire lives retire on just SS at age 65+. They live a minimal existence, dependent on whatever programs they can qualify for.

Others figure out the programs that are available in their 20s, and can live 60 years without working and have virtually the same, or better, life style. Sort of the MMM lifestyle, except more secure.