Borrowing Against SS

EvrClrx311

Full time employment: Posting here.
I thought it would be easy to find an answer, but it appears Google has failed me on this one...

Does the government pay interest back to the Social Security Trust Fund on the money it borrows?

Secondly, if the government had not borrowed against it, and instead invested the surplus, wouldn't we have A LOT more to pay out to beneficiaries?

(small rant)
It pains me to think what our country could be like if we were a little more responsible with our spending/savings. Imagine if we had another country paying interest to us and we could use that to fund a large fraction of our government expenses. I understand that our country and economy is driven entirely by consumption... so it makes perfect sense that our politicians would fall into the same trap. Really is a shame that we have wasted such an amazing opportunity with the economy we'd had the last 100+ years (the envy of every other nation). What do we have to show for it... not as much as we probably should, at this point.

The answer to your first question is yes, the general fund owes the SS fund interest on the money it borrowed..

To your second, no.... money is fungible... so there would not be any more money to pay benefits... (or course, this might have been different if people actually knew the deficiet of the general fund without the borrowing)...

Back
Top Bottom