Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2016, 06:38 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Darn, my credit card deposit in Euros posted yesterday!

Oh well - there is quite a bit more to buy......
Ah..that is a bummer!

I agree though, looks like there could be some great deals over the next few days. I don't this "sale" lasting more than a couple of weeks though.

Just think about how much $$$ all the FAs are about to make with all the churning and burning that will start here in a matter a minutes...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I have a bunch of miles on BA from when I was working that I was hoarding in anticipation of a future trip so this may make for an opportune time to go back across the pond for a visit.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:52 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I took a screenshot of my portfolio this morning just to have something to remember it by. and then I put in an order for an index fund with some spare cash therein, which was sitting around waiting for a dip.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It is really fun to watch when the "smart money" gets it wrong and has to scramble for the exits..........//.........
This type of market action says nothing about the economy. It's all about big players getting caught leaning the wrong way.......
All too often, the 'educated' get caught up in believing their own hype......

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I took a screenshot of my portfolio this morning just to have something to remember it by. and then I put in an order for an index fund with some spare cash therein, which was sitting around waiting for a dip.
My portfolio finally hit another milestone when I checked this week. Felt really good for a few days.

Now --- how do you say it here--- "Wheeee"
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

I would hesitate to make any judgement or prediction at this time, or even to attempt to build an overview. The world economy is like a delicate crystal vase that has been dropped and lies in tiny pieces.

Overlying all of the monetary aspects, a mixed political structure, which, like the structure of the EU, has grown and adjusted over many years. Even here, the politics are not limited to Europe, but a framework for life that extends throughout the entire world.

If you followed the back and forth of the referendum during the night, you saw an exit poll analysis using word count. There were two words that predicted the result. For the "Stay", the word was economy. For the "Leave", the word was immigration.

Extending that emphasis to the rest of the countries in the EU, (particularly Germany), and then looking ahead to to financial recovery, could rattle the theory that the financials would be just a blip. Germany in particular is in a sensitive position.

Looking at the numbers coming in the immediate aftermath of Brexit, while the banks are taking the brunt of the losses, an equally worrisome across the board shock to stocks in almost every category.

The key to recovery, and avoidance of an extended recession, would look to be in the rapid diplomatic and political actions of the EU nations. Failure to come together here, could extend to the world economy, which has been increasingly tied to the strength of Europe (as well as the United States.).

So much for the downside. London remains a dominant financial center, which bodes well for recovery, not for investment, but for the ability to bring together the financial leaders of Germany, France, and the other powerhouses of Europe. The key to recovery will be time. The world economy will not stand still... waiting. Hopefully, a quick agreement to bite the bullet and go forward (ala the US Bank Bailout) will avoid a possible tumbledown.

The final piece to recovery will be the people. There, only time will tell.

So much for putting thoughts into words.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:03 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I would hesitate to make any judgement or prediction at this time, or even to attempt to build an overview. The world economy is like a delicate crystal vase that has been dropped and lies in tiny pieces.
What?!?

Not so disastrous I think.

Renegotiation on some of the EU policies is overdue. Sure, markets may be more volatile than the recent couple of years, but it's not the end of the world.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #28

Quote:
If you followed the back and forth of the referendum during the night, you saw an exit poll analysis using word count. There were two words that predicted the result. For the "Stay", the word was economy. For the "Leave", the word was immigration.
The world is going through a Global equalization scheme. Any person, from anywhere, can go anywhere. Countries that are the most generous will have to adjust to huge population growth, until they stop being the most generous.

Wages will be equalized globally, as we have seen over the past 20 years. Countries can move out of the "world union", but eventually they will succumb and be part of it.

It will be a different world in the coming years...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:08 AM   #29

Mostly agree with audreyh1 except for the possibility for this to set off a chain-reaction of reversal of globalism.

[Mod Edit]

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:08 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
the ability to bring together the financial leaders of Germany, France, and the other powerhouses of Europe.
At this very moment a combo of Let's Make a Deal and The Price Is Right is airing in boardrooms everywhere........."C'Mon down!"

Old 06-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

The Brexit contagion: How France, Italy and the Netherlands now want their referendum too*

Quote:
Voters in France, Italy and the Netherlands are demanding their own votes on European Union membership and the euro, as the continent faces a “contagion” of referendums.

EU leaders fear a string of copycat polls could tear the organisation apart, as leaders come under pressure to emulate David Cameron and hold votes.

It came as German business leaders handed a considerable boost to the Leave campaign by saying it would be “very, very foolish” to deny the UK a free trade deal after Brexit.

Markus Kerber, the head of the BDI, which represents German industry, said that 1970s-style trade barriers would result in job losses in Germany.

“Imposing trade barriers, imposing protectionist measures between our two countries – or between the two political centres, the European Union on the one hand and the UK on the other – would be a very, very foolish thing in the 21st century.”

Old 06-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Mostly agree with audreyh1 except for the possibility for this to set off a chain-reaction of reversal of globalism.

[Mod Edit]

-gauss
I think it's OK to have some push back and renegotiation. I don't think things will reverse overnight, but I can see the pendulum swinging the other way for a while. Countries have to reevaluate the pros and cons again. That's OK.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #33

As the saying goes..."This too shall pass".
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I'm loving the "EVERYBODY PANIC THE WORLD MAY BE ENDING IT WILL IMPACT YOUR 401K AND RETIREMENT YOU WILL BE WEARING BARRELS FOR CLOTHING SOON" tone on the television financial news and "special reports" as the market opens.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

meh
Old 06-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #36

2.5% drop? That wasn't so bad...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
2.5% drop? That wasn't so bad...
Hardly a blip. At least so far .
Old 06-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

double meh
Old 06-24-2016, 07:51 AM   #39

I put in some fanciful (>10 percent drop) limit orders, hoping there would be a rush for the exits. Not one has executed yet. No doubt a lot of central banks are busy stabilizing things. The day is not over, so we will see where they let this go. And there is always tomorrow...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:51 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Until yesterday my portfolio had one of the best weeks of the year. After today, I might break even for the week. So....I've essentially lost a week. No biggie.

Buying opportunity