Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now that the Brexit vote is over, the Brussels Elite can go ahead with their ban of certain high powered electric tea kettles and toasters. Not kidding. This sort of micromanaging from unelected globalist overlords was a major component of the Leave votes, IMO.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always thought the EU was going to struggle as long as they had a unified currency without a unified federal political system. So the have-nots are continually bailed out by the haves. This is not the main driver of Brexit of course since the UK kept the pound, just another reason why euroskeptics might drive more independence referenda.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Now that the Brexit vote is over, the Brussels Elite can go ahead with their ban of certain high powered electric tea kettles and toasters. Not kidding. This sort of micromanaging from unelected globalist overlords was a major component of the Leave votes, IMO.
well that stinks - I actually wanted to visit Brussels
Old 06-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I was at a cocktail party not long ago and a woman opined that "buying on a dip" was the equivalent of taking advantage of someone's misfortune and morally wrong.

Of course, with a hefty trust fund paying her bills it might be easy to take the high ground.
Just be glad you are not married to this woman.

Ha
Old 06-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #85

I wonder how many people who are demonstrating in London today stating they are Europeans not English ARE European not English and therefore unable to vote

And I'm glad I STO (SOLD TO OPEN) multiple BAC puts yesterday
Old 06-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
There's a lot of remorse over Brexit....if the vote was taken today I think it would go the other way . . .
Still, apparently, most people in the UK do not want a revote.

Quote:
The latest research from YouGov/Channel 5 shows, however, that most British people (58%) oppose holding a second referendum.
Even 29% of those who voted "remain" oppose holding a second referendum.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #87

We have demonstrations all the time in California by undocumented people bc they want voting to go one way or the other. Yet they cannot vote so have no legal say. I wonder if a lot of the London demonstrators were not British and just concerned that they would have to move back to the mainland. After all they said they were European not English
Old 06-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #88

Just got back from spending 2 weeks in the UK, departing the day before the vote. Interestingly (or not) there was so much bad info being offered as 'facts,' that one Welshman said to me - is there no one who can just state the facts so I can make a decision?

Those who followed the recommendations of the Labour Party are the ones who want a re-vote (IMO). Promises were made about how quickly things would improve for the middle and lower class workers. The day after the vote, many promises disappeared. Today, the leading proponent of Brexit, Boris Johnson, stepped out of the running for Prime Minister. He was the loudest voice for exit with the wildest claims. Many leaders in the Labour movement have resigned their MP positions (meaning they know they won't get re-elected).

The reality is that England has a good economy that will be impacted negatively by the exit. Scotland is now reconsidering it's vote to stay in the UK because they get many financial benefits from the EU. Wales is a poor country who gets lots of infrastructure $ from the EU - mining was a big industry in Wales until buying slate from Asia became more cost effective.

But, there is no doom and gloom in this scenario. As long as the UK can stay together, there is a resilience that will see them through the exit. As they say, "Keep Calm, and Carry On."

Rita
Old 06-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

If the EU were so wonderful there would be fewer negative interest rate regimes and at least a tad of growth. I think it is impossible to predict what will happen over the next few years.

Ha
Old 06-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #90

Except, Ha, More of The Same. That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it!

Rita
Old 07-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We had lunch beside of young lady from Frankfurt and she said that the economic centre for the EU will switch from London to Frankfurt.
Just talking her position.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:27 AM   #92

Had dinner in Vienna with a diverse contingency of educated Europeans. Actually, several dinners, so no sampling error! All say the vote was a mistake made by uninformed voters. The Germans are secure in number one position, and can handle things, I heard. Those who work in England described an under current of fear among professionals that they may face pressure to leave in the near future. Their employers are actively engaging them with communications to put their minds at ease. However, it is taken with a lot of skepticism.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #93

I had lunch with a group of Brits yesterday. They all said "F the EU","Let's go get pissed"!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I had lunch with a group of Brits yesterday. They all said "F the EU","Let's go get pissed"!
Were they 60+ years old?
Old 07-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
As long as the UK can stay together, there is a resilience that will see them through the exit. As they say, "Keep Calm, and Carry On."

Rita
Yep. As with all periods of change, there will be some bumps in the road. But in the long run, things should be in their favor. Short term pain, long term gains........
Old 07-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Yep. As with all periods of change, there will be some bumps in the road. But in the long run, things should be in their favor. Short term pain, long term gains........
The only thing for certain is the short term pain. Beyond the next year or two this could just as easily lead to lower prosperity for all. It's really impossible to say now, but policy makers sure have their work cut out for themselves.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The only thing for certain is the short term pain. Beyond the next year or two this could just as easily lead to lower prosperity for all. It's really impossible to say now, but policy makers sure have their work cut out for themselves.
+1
Old 07-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #98

Last few times on the cab ride from Manchester to Lake District the biggest complaints from the wonderful drivers was immigration. Good on them. Amazing the conversations you get from cabbies, such great folk.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Totally agree with the bolded (above).
Old 11-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #100

Brexit cancelled. (Well maybe...)
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/04/wo...arliament.html

Yeah! Preserve my EU free movement and work rights.