Brexit!

We board the QM2 today so no internet for the next 8 days. Never mind Brexit or the US elections, how am I going to survive?

Bon voyage!

(Surprised that QM2 does not have Internet)

Bon voyage!

(Surprised that QM2 does not have Internet)

Thanks.

It does have internet, but was very slow last time we sailed on the QM2, and we only get 2 hours free. We are in the process of buying a house so I'll restrict my time to checking and responding to email from time to time. On the train down (a 5 hour journey) I received the home inspection report and was able to read it and respond.

I'll also watch the BBC news channel in our cabin each day to catch the news headlines.

We follow UK news. Occasionally watch BBC, Al Jazeera (much prefer them to the likes of CNN international). Also read on line Daily Mail (entertainment), Guardian, and Telegraph fairly regularly.

Most especially if we are planning a trip to a country where there has been some demos, etc. We find these sources give us better and more accurate information than NA coverage.

We have come a long way with Europe since joining the EU 40 years ago and I hope we can part as friends not enemies.

From reluctant house mate to slightly awkward business partner would be my description.

-- a European citizen.

Shopping for health insurance: 0 minutes
Watching US election: 2 years
Then, you have wasted 2 years of your life that you will not get back.

Me, I only have to see the headlines on the Web to know what people are up to. And the recent comment by Les Wexner, CEO of Limited Brands sums it up the best (you have to look it up yourself).

I have to shop for health insurance every year, and it takes perhaps 10-20 hours total. It's difficult to measure, but I estimate the total time I also spend reading gloomy articles about the sad state of healthcare cost in the US.

Last edited:
A train wreck may be entertaining... to a spectator standing safely outside and a long distance away.

When you are inside the train.... Arghhh! :dead:

One should be running towards the rear of the train to minimize damage to oneself, and not making his way towards the engine to see clearer.:fingerwag:

And on the same vein, getting back on Brexit, I just saw a headline about the increase of the number of inquiries from Brits for immigration to New Zealand. Now, that's a nice place to live, even if there's no other reason.

Last edited:
A train wreck may be entertaining... to a spectator standing safely outside and a long distance away.

When you are inside the train.... Arghhh! :dead:

One should be running towards the rear of the train to minimize damage to oneself, and not making his way towards the engine to see clearer.:fingerwag:

And on the same vein, getting back on Brexit, I just saw a headline about the increase of the number of inquiries from Brits for immigration to New Zealand. Now, that's a nice place to live, even if there's no other reason.

I'm glad to not be on the train.

Applications for immigration to Ireland increased by 70% immediately post Brexit. I believe Ireland is opening new immigration offices.

Number of Irish passport applications rises by 70 per cent after Brexit

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ship-after-brexit-vote?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Last edited:
I just recalled, as a kid, reading about a staged train wreck that ended up killing several spectators. So, I searched the Web and indeed it was true. Darn, my memory is so superior.

From Wikipedia,

William George Crush... conceived the idea to demonstrate a train wreck as a spectacle. No admission was charged... about 40,000 people showed up... Unexpectedly, the impact caused both engine boilers to explode, resulting in several fatalities and numerous injuries among the spectators.

For more, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crush,_Texas.

Better keep your distance, just sayin'.

I just recalled, as a kid, reading about a staged train wreck that ended up killing several spectators. So, I searched the Web and indeed it was true. Darn, my memory is so superior.

From Wikipedia,

William George Crush... conceived the idea to demonstrate a train wreck as a spectacle. No admission was charged... about 40,000 people showed up... Unexpectedly, the impact caused both engine boilers to explode, resulting in several fatalities and numerous injuries among the spectators.

For more, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crush,_Texas.

I don't think steam boilers are used on modern trains. It's all diesel. :D

Fine. Stand real close if you want to. I'm outta there.

Applications for immigration to Ireland increased by 70% immediately post Brexit. I believe Ireland is opening new immigration offices.
Well, believe it only when they actually go. Every 4 years we have the spectacle of AMCITs promising they'll leave the country if the candidate they dislike gets elected, and yet somehow they never leave and we are stuck listening to them whine for another 4 years. "Go. There's nothing stopping you*"

*Copyright AirTran Airlines. This was my favorite corporate slogan of all time.

I had to look up AMCITs - American Citizens according to the interwebs...

To me, politics can have devastating effects like a trainwreck, but often it is just a circus.

One has to do what he can to protect himself from being too much of a collateral damage in a trainwreck. But as a circus, well, one can only watch so much of it. I went to a PT Barnum Circus about 40 years ago, and have not been back. We have a general election once every 4 years, and I do vote every time, but don't want to spend too much time watching the farce.

I do vote every time, but don't want to spend too much time watching the farce.

Always plenty of time to appreciate that after the election. :LOL:

Yup. When we go from Vancouver to Puerto Vallarta next week, it is a direct flight non-stop. We have not set foot in the US since 2006! No train wrecks for us! :LOL:

Istanbul, Paris no problem. Southside Chi-town no way. Mind you we spent lots of time there from retirement in 2002 to 2006. Florida twice, one month each time, NO, Arizona, California, PNW. Trying to make some time now for Mexico Interior and the southern hemisphere. (Bucket List)

Back
Top Bottom