Join Early Retirement Today

Brexit!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:46 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Brexit!

Watching the BBC and MSNBC overnight news on the UK leaving the EU, I wonder if the members here are concerned about their FIRE decision.
I see the markets dropping for a few weeks followed by a slow recovery in the US. The interest rates will remain low for the next few years and US politics will just go on😩 . I think that our travel plans will include the EU and UK, but not significantly increase. The pound and Euro will fall and keep inflation down, but cause the U.S. exports to fall as the dollar rises. Overall, it will be much fanfare and noise with little long term affect on the US.

Your thoughts?

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 04:14 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Might buy a couple €s today.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:01 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will be putting a buy in for DVY at 5% below yesterday's close. Pick up my July buy a little bit early.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #4

The markets are all tumbling today so far. It might be a day for bargain hunting for those so inclined.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

It's the end of the world! The incredibly efficient EU has been weakened!
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:19 AM   #6

Hoping that my balanced funds will automatically take advantage of this.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:20 AM   #7

I find interesting the talk that now Scotland is talking about having another vote to leave UK and stay with EU.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:22 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Could be a good time to buy or the "wealth effect" that people feel from declining portfolios might finally push us into a recession. Time will tell.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I find interesting the talk that now Scotland is talking about having another vote to leave UK and stay with EU.
I wonder if Scotland ever met the criteria to ever actually get into the EU? Many countries in the EU are there for the handouts, Greece being one.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:26 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think this will have little long term effect on the US markets. Could be a good sale next week. I was planning a large stock purchase the week of July 5th assuming the closing of my condo goes through. Now I will likely get a discount on that purchase so I don't mind this short 'hiccup' int he market.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:30 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

This too shall pass. As I understand it they have two years to work out how the exit will really work.

Also, don't forget some time ago they said the world was going to come to an end if the Brits did not adopt the Euro in place of the pound.................
Old 06-24-2016, 05:39 AM   #12

I make an annual move of shares from tIRA to roth IRA in the same mutual fund. This may be an opportunity to move a greater number of shares. It would help a little when my wife takes her first MRD next year.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
This too shall pass. As I understand it they have two years to work out how the exit will really work.
They have two years to negotiate terms of the exit as soon as the relevant Article 50 from the Lisbon treaty is activated. It hasn't been yet.

The way it looks now Cameron will refuse to do so, and leave it up to his replacement (arriving in October).
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

For kicks, I'll have to look at the market tumble today with a stock ticker on my computer. I have no plans of making a knee jerk move.

Look at the bright side, at least Led Zeppelin and "Stairway to Heaven" are intact .
Old 06-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

A great buying opportunity for those in accumulation phase. We'll give back the good bump over the last few weeks and then some. I'm guessing that the S&P 500 declines 3-5%. I'm interested to see how bonds do to buffer that decline but I fully expect to be temporarily 2-3% poorer by the end of the day.

Bloody Brits

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #16

Made no changes in the run up to this, I'm not too concerned that personally it will have that much long term effect on us. We're conservative enough in wr that our lives will go on. I'm more concerned for the longer term effect on UK and EU as more start talking referenda to leave, generally weakening of Europe (and perhaps UK depending upon your sentiment). And that cannot be good for the world IMO given the opportunistic moves of Putin and the challenges facing this part of the world. It just makes me less optimistic about solving common problems of Europe and the UK.

I find it interesting the comparison of London vote to countryside. It's very analogous to the political attitudes in our state; metro areas vs. rural. This growing phenomena of division in our countries along such lines does not bode well for our ability to seek common solutions to the problems we face I fear. Anyway, good luck to all involved.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Might buy a couple €s today.
Darn, my credit card deposit in Euros posted yesterday!

Oh well - there is quite a bit more to buy......
Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

"Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
Old 06-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I find it interesting the comparison of London vote to countryside. It's very analogous to the political attitudes in our state; metro areas vs. rural. This growing phenomena of division in our countries along such lines does not bode well for our ability to seek common solutions to the problems we face I fear. Anyway, good luck to all involved.
The dividing lines are not really metro vs. rural . It's more 1) England & Wales vs. Scotland, Ireland and the rest 2) Old vs. young. 3) Poor vs. Rich and 4) uneducated vs. educated.

There is a correlation with rural vs. metro since higher educated folks tend to work in cities, but it's weaker. East London for example had a leave majority.

Nice breakdowns here:
EU referendum full results – find out how your area voted | Politics | The Guardian
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

It is really fun to watch when the "smart money" gets it wrong and has to scramble for the exits. It can disrupt markets for a while, but usually not that long - a month or two or three.

This type of market action says nothing about the economy. It's all about big players getting caught leaning the wrong way and having to deal with margin calls, etc. So there often is spillover. But it eventually settles down.

Any economic impact from Brexit will not happen right away, and then will be gradual.