Budgets being cut anyway . . .

martyp

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This NYT article describes an interesting set of circumstances.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/us/15spend.html?ref=politics

The budget stalemate in Congress has forced Government agencies to freeze hiring and cut back spending in the face of uncertainty in their budgets for this year (and next). I heard that my own former workplace (a DOE laboratory) has frozen hiring. Pretty soon we will see what deep budget cuts really look like without Congress having to go on record with votes.

Both sides will think they can use this to their advantage. Democrats to demonstrate how services will be degraded and jobs lost. Republicans to show that there really was wasteful spending and that the agencies are surviving just fine at these reduced funding levels.

and with all this need for spending cuts there is still massive amounts of money being spent on non-essential stuff.

I live in NV and I constantly see signs for local 'projects' courtesy of the federal government....just stop it already!

If it isn't related to keeping people alive and healthy (Medicare, Medicaid, defense in its various forms) and keeping government's promises (SS) then it should be looked at for reduction.

I realize my post is a gross oversimplification, but I'm just about fed up with our government's inability to make the necessary hard decisions.

The thing is that they are making a decision without making a decision. Whatever your position on Federal spending this is a process that probably won't end up with a good result. My read of the politics is that each side wants specific things cut and other things left alone though there are some people who would settle for across the board cuts.

I realize my post is a gross oversimplification, but I'm just about fed up with our government's inability to make the necessary hard decisions.

And instead repeatedly choosing to "kick the can" farther down the road, when it will be even more painful to fix once and for all. But hey, as long as it's our kids and grandkids who have to suffer and not us, it's all good, right? As long as we can throw the party and the next generation suffers the hangover...

And instead repeatedly choosing to "kick the can" farther down the road, when it will be even more painful to fix once and for all. But hey, as long as it's our kids and grandkids who have to suffer and not us, it's all good, right? As long as we can throw the party and the next generation suffers the hangover...

I sincerely hope the can stops getting kicked down the road. If the govt needs to implement a VAT I'm good with that. If they need to tax every dollar I make for SS I'm ok with that (this change would significantly affect me and DH), BUT if they're going to raise taxes, services need to be cut.

For example, there are approx 15 libraries within a 25 mile radius of my house...why do we need so many?

There is a new aquatic center that the Feds chipped in $40 mill to build...why when there is a servicable facility that was less than 15 years old that they're now tearing down.

These are two very small examples of what I consider waste. We are a 'must have it now' society but now what we have to figure out is exactly what is it that we NEED vs what is it that we WANT.

But I do understand that many want the can kicked down the road especially our elected officials.

Kicking that can will get us ever closer to the fates of Greece, Portugal and Ireland. I do not want that outcome for my grandchildren.

I sincerely hope the can stops getting kicked down the road. If the govt needs to implement a VAT I'm good with that. If they need to tax every dollar I make for SS I'm ok with that (this change would significantly affect me and DH), BUT if they're going to raise taxes, services need to be cut.

For example, there are approx 15 libraries within a 25 mile radius of my house...why do we need so many?

There is a new aquatic center that the Feds chipped in $40 mill to build...why when there is a servicable facility that was less than 15 years old that they're now tearing down.

These are two very small examples of what I consider waste. We are a 'must have it now' society but now what we have to figure out is exactly what is it that we NEED vs what is it that we WANT.

Good point about the libraries. One could ask why we need them at all with all the media that is available online these days?

Good point about the libraries. One could ask why we need them at all with all the media that is available online these days?

I do understand that we need some since not everyone has the equipment to access online media, but we've gone overboard 'serving the people' in this one area IMHO.

Our community built a $3.4 million library 8 years ago. On average, the library serves 77 people a day in a community of about 23,000 residents. The "old library" was small but got more use..........

Our community built a $3.4 million library 8 years ago. On average, the library serves 77 people a day in a community of about 23,000 residents. The "old library" was small but got more use..........

And I wonder how much of the new library was subsidized by the Federal Govt.

I saw that the Defense Department is delaying the purchase of helicopters and a submarine, and is deferring some equipment repairs and maintenance.

I'm worried that if we don't spend as much as the rest of the world combined on our defense, that when the rest of the world attacks us, we may be at a disadvantage. Imagine what could happen, if, for want of a little more military spending, Grenada were to get a foothold on the East Coast, and Nauru were to strike on the West Coast. Our nation could be endangered by a classic pincer movement, just like the Battle of Cannae!

We need to get a budget in place and continue to raise military spending ASAP! We can't allow the rest of the world to gain an advantage in this vital area.

I spoke to the invaders today.

They agreed to specifically target you when they come.

And I wonder how much of the new library was subsidized by the Federal Govt.

None, the community issued municipal bonds to pay for it............;)

I saw that the Defense Department is delaying the purchase of helicopters and a submarine, and is deferring some equipment repairs and maintenance.

I'm worried that if we don't spend as much as the rest of the world combined on our defense, that when the rest of the world attacks us, we may be at a disadvantage. Imagine what could happen, if, for want of a little more military spending, Grenada were to get a foothold on the East Coast, and Nauru were to strike on the West Coast. Our nation could be endangered by a classic pincer movement, just like the Battle of Cannae!

We need to get a budget in place and continue to raise military spending ASAP! We can't allow the rest of the world to gain an advantage in this vital area.

I hope you are being facetious..........:confused: You do know there are army bases around the country, and I doubt they will sit there and let an enemy attack...........;)

My read of the politics is that each side wants specific things cut and other things left alone....

Which is why everything must be on the table. To my way of thinking anything not directly involved with keeping the country solvent (i.e. national defense/security) should take the biggest hits first, then start cutting defense and security. Plain and simple we either cut or we fail as a country. We can not keep spending at higher and higher levels every year and expect to remain stable.

Right. Then we need to cut tax rates. That will increase productivity and tax revenues will grow.

Where else could bums go to sleep?

Ha

Thought this might be interesting. Projected 2011 Federal Revenues

Federal Revenues
Total federal revenues for Fiscal Year 2011 are projected to be about $2.6 trillion. The largest portion, 44%, was from individual income taxes. The next largest share was social insurance and retirement receipts at 36%. The remainder is made up of corporate income taxes, excise taxes, estate and gift taxes, customs duties, federal reserve deposits, and some miscellaneous receipts.

Numbers*
Total Revenues $2.6 trillion
Individual Income Taxes $1,126 trillion
Corporate Income Taxes $293 billion
Social Insurance $934 billion
Other $230 billion
*Fiscal year 2011. Social Insurance includes employment and general retirement, unemployment compensation and other retirement. Source: Budget of the U.S. Government, FY2011, Summary Table S.3

and Federal Spending

Federal spending in Fiscal Year 2011 is roughly $3.8 trillion and makes up more than half of total government spending in the United States. The federal government now accounts for 25% of the total US gross domestic product (GDP), but this was not always the case.

Mandatory vs Discretionary Spending...
The Federal Budget can be divided into two types of spending according to how Congress appropriates the money: discretionary and mandatory. Discretionary spending refers to the portion of the budget which goes through the annual appropriations process each year.
Total Budget: $3.64 trillion
Mandatory: $2.1 trillion
Discretionary: $1.2 trillion
Interest on Debt $247 billion
Budget of the U.S. Government, FY2011.

We are already spending more than 1.2 trillion more than we take in ...in revenues.
Yep....gotta stop it somehow....

There's a man who knows his Punic Wars and battle tactics!

Ha

The Grenadians are welcome to drop by my house. I am almost out of nutmeg.

The Naurian's have already establish a beachhold, within striking distance of the fleet in Pearl Harbor. So the pincer movement has already started.

Nauru Tower in Honolulu.

NT_boug.jpg

The Naurian's have already establish a beachhold, within striking distance of the fleet in Pearl Harbor. So the pincer movement has already started.

Nauru Tower in Honolulu.

NT_boug.jpg

Apparently they have a tiny personal shortcoming they feel compelled to compensate for.

Which is why everything must be on the table. To my way of thinking anything not directly involved with keeping the country solvent (i.e. national defense/security) should take the biggest hits first, then start cutting defense and security. Plain and simple we either cut or we fail as a country. We can not keep spending at higher and higher levels every year and expect to remain stable.

Of course, as you know, there are those who advocate raising taxes as well as cutting spending. You've already prioritized your desire to cut non-defense spending. You can also move toward solvency by collecting more taxes. The ideological divide is a person's belief in how cutting or taxing would effect jobs and growth in the future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom