Join Early Retirement Today

Business owners: Write your Congress person NOW
Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Business owners: Write your Congress person NOW

The pending tax bill just was rejected for a vote.

Part of that bill included a one year 2% reduction for employees of the social security tax for 2011- (though the employer will stay pay the full 6.2%).

As a small business person, should we not be permitted a one year reduction in the self employment tax in 2011? Why should we be excluded?

Inside of 5 minutes, you can google your congressional reps, and email them your thoughts on this matter.

I would urge you each to do so regarding your views-whether you agree with my view or not. I for one think Congress needs to get their act together. I am tired of the party line votes....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #2

First of all. I am also a business owner. I might also add for clarification I am more progressive in my thinking than not.
However, I do not agree with these small tax breaks for people. They are too small to do any good. Really 2% of social security taxes. Tell me how that's going to impact any ones life. They won't even notice it. Now take that amount times 300,000,000 people and maybe you could rebuild or repair some bridges that are falling down or refurbish some schools.

For the most part. I hate these giveaways, as I feel this money collectively could do so much more good.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
For the most part. I hate these giveaways, as I feel this money collectively could do so much more good.
You don't have to hate the "giveaway"...Think of the good it would do if you and your like-minded colleagues collectively sent in your share...
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #4

I don't think they should be giving either employees or employers the 2% reduction. The Social Security program is already a mess and now they are making it worse rather than fixing it. Makes no sense at all but then again they are politicians.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Obviously only the op runs a businesss. I could sure use the 2% as an employer. I know dam well i have as much chance collecting ss as a 1 legged man has in winning an as kicking contest
Old 12-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingdoc View Post
Obviously only the op runs a businesss. I could sure use the 2% as an employer. I know dam well i have as much chance collecting ss as a 1 legged man has in winning an as kicking contest
Wrong. I'm a self employed business owner so I pay the tax twice.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bizlady,
What's your complaint? If you are self-employed, the proposed tax deal will reduce your self employed tax by 2% of overall income (from 12.4% total to 10.4% total for your SS taxes, which is both the employee side and the employer side). That's the same deal that "regular" employees get. Both you and a "regular" employee will see their net takehome pay go up by about 2%. What's your complaint?

The plan also allows businesses to immediately "expense" some purchases that normally have to be spread out over several years. Most small businesses should like that.

Here's a quick overview of the deal.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Question for the 2% payroll tax reduction of this new proposal:

Is it true that though we will only pay 4.2% Social Security payroll tax for one year, we will still get the credit of 6.2% in our future Social Security benefits?

If we pay 4.2% and only receive 4.2% credit eventually, this would be just like reducing your 401K contribution. You keep more money now, but you also receive less money in the future.

How does this work?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
Question for the 2% payroll tax reduction of this new proposal:

Is it true that though we will only pay 4.2% Social Security payroll tax for one year, we will still get the credit of 6.2% in our future Social Security benefits?

If we pay 4.2% and only receive 4.2% credit eventually, this would be just like reducing your 401K contribution. You keep more money now, but you also receive less money in the future.

How does this work?
According to what I've read, there will be no change in what you'll get later. You'll get the same credit as if you'd made the regular contribution. That's one reason why this tax change will likely make our deficit worse, though some argue that it will help spur enough growth to make up for the lost taxes.

You'd probably be surprised how little difference it would make, anyway. For most folks, maybe a dollar or two less per month in their SS check. Even if the benefits were reduced due to the lower contribution, most folks would be far ahead by having the extra money to save and invest. If they'd only do that . . .