Join Early Retirement Today

California Propositions 45 and 46
Old 10-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

California Propositions 45 and 46

These have to do with health care but I'm seeing and hearing a lot of ads against them, warning of politician determining your health care and being manipulated by "special interests."

I don't recall seeing pro ads, though I skip ads on my Tivo in general. But hear them on the radio and occasionally see them on sports channels.

Prop 45 requires rates to be approved by the CA Insurance commissioner. It appears to have the backing of most consumer watchdog groups while the opposition are the insurers and various health care provider organizations:

http://ballotpedia.org/California_Pr...itiative_(2014)

Prop 46, which appears to have the same groups for and against, would raise the non-economic damages of malpractice suits from $250k to $1 million and also provide random drug testing of doctors, with doctors testing positive to be reported to some state body as well as receive suspensions:

http://ballotpedia.org/California_Pr..._Doctors_(2014)

Like I said, the only ads I've heard are from the against side and one of the claims is of course that it would raise health care costs in the state.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #2

Prop 46 is interesting to read who's against it. Why would sheetmetal workers be against it?

CA was an early adopter of medical malpractice tort reform. Unfortunately, they didn't have any inflation for the max collection. If malpractice results in a healthy limb being surgically removed (for example), the limit of $250k for non-economic damages seems pretty low.

As far as the drug testing - I have no issue with drug testing medical professionals. I have an extended family member who worked as a nurse until about 5 years ago. She also was addicted to pain meds and opiates. She lost her license over this. She was taking drugs on the job for more than a decade. She's sober now - but her life would have been a lot better if her addiction had been exposed sooner to the start of it. (She has a lot of lost years in terms of "being there" for her family.) I don't think she was a rare case... access to drugs is one of the issues.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think this article from the LA Times is useful in understanding the process:

http://fw.to/u3QXb1X
Old 10-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well the insurance company executives may live in California so technically, they are against the measure, though they probably aren't against higher health insurance premiums.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote