Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm moving my funds from a VG total market index to a Fidelity total market index. That will hit the gun makers where they live.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While I think boycotts like this have little direct effect, they can have more of an impact in the long run. They are like a slow-burning negative PR campaign. I believe the fossil fuel divestment campaign is a good example of this. It certainly hasn't taken down any companies, but it has helped foster a negative sentiment toward them. Hundreds of funds have begun divestment.

These kids sure have a lot of PR folks hopping, trying to distance themselves from the NRA. Whether it results in lasting change remains to be seen.
dixonge is offline   Reply
Lincoln and Spanky understood
Old 04-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #23

Lincoln and Spanky understood

You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time.

(But you can't fool Mom.)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:13 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I sympathize with his aims, but it is literally impossible to invest in a way that is completely "socially responsible" or "aligns with [insert values here]".

Find me a company that's led by a management team that isn't biased (or that is biased in a way that you approve of), that provides products or services that are an unmitigated good (good luck defining that), that doesn't produce excess waste (also good luck defining that), that treats all of its employees really well (ditto), and ensures their suppliers do too.

I won't hold my breath.

Companies are composed of people, and these people make anywhere from hundreds to millions of decisions every day. Some of them are going to be strongly disagreed with by a large number of people. I don't see any way around that.

That's not to say that cultural change can't happen. It does, but it needs to be grassroots. Convince people to stop buying guns, and then gun manufacturers are no longer big enough to be in the S&P 500, and they're off the index. But that's a lot harder than calling for a boycott, which feels like you're doing something, even when you're not.

He's a kid that went through something horrific, and he wants to change things so that can't happen to anyone else. This is laudable. Boycotting VG isn't going to do that.
Maenad is offline   Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 07:31 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I've been impressed with him however, IMO, this is over the top. Why? These organizations are pretty diverse. I looked to overweight firearms during the last administration and other then a couple companies there's not any pure play.

I really wanted to invest in 1911 manufacturing during the 2009-2011 run up to the 100 year anniversary. Those shops had a couple of year backlog, but they're all private companies, or 1911s were a tiny fraction of their business.
MRG is offline   Reply
Smile
Old 04-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #26
gone traveling

Smile

I'm not surprised people would boycott me. VG are my initials.
gerntz is offline   Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I will always be on the side of youthful idealism--too soon we grow old and jaded. Vanguard had a nice imo response to this, taking Hogg and the school shootings seriously :

Quote:
In a statement to Yahoo Finance, a Vanguard spokesperson said the firm “shares many individuals’ concerns about public safety and firearm access and hopes that policymakers take appropriate action to protect Americans from gun violence. Schools, churches and public spaces should always be safe places for all individuals.”

“Vanguard is taking action, meeting with the leaders of gun manufacturers and distributors. We want to know how they will mitigate the risks that their products pose and how they plan to help prevent such tragedies from happening again. We believe that boards and managements of gun manufacturers should disclose and reduce the risks associated with gun violence and the ongoing national debate on gun safety and control. We believe that when a business poses a risk to society, it can also pose a risk to investors. We are expressing this viewpoint directly with company leaders because we believe greater focus and transparency on these issues will ultimately benefit society and investors alike,” she added.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Anyone wishing to support this boycott, can show their intense support and give me their shares for $0.00

Teach those terrible stock folks that profit is bad and evil.

This will really help (me at least)...
Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

maybe he's an advocate for active management
Old 04-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #30
gone traveling

These protests/boycotts against companies and advertisers, etc seem ludicrous to me and I am surprised at those that give in to these demands. What would happen if the other side of the story started protesting/boycotting?
eytonxav is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
These protests/boycotts against companies and advertisers, etc seem ludicrous to me and I am surprised at those that give in to these demands. What would happen if the other side of the story started protesting/boycotting?

You mean they don’t?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
My son-in-law no longer will do business with REI. They have stopped carrying Giro helmets and Camel Back water holders because the corporation that manufacturers them also has a subsidiary that manufactures guns. REI has never sold guns. SIL is an avid out enthusiast and also a gun enthusiast who did a lot of business with REI. REI's decision most likely reflects the top level management's political views. It would be interesting to see how their decision affects their bottom line, but we will probably never know.
Hermit is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #33

In all honesty, DW & I at times feel conflicted when it comes to our values in comparison to some of the companies that are listed in the index funds we are invested in with FIDO. Neither one of us are savvy enough investors that we'd be confident in our ability to slice and dice a DIY portfolio and manage it successfully going forward. The expense fees and returns of the more "socially responsible" funds could end up undermining our retirements.

If shoving the entirety of our retirement $$ in traditional savings accounts, CD's, or, even better yet a mattress could sustain us, we'd do it.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #34

I'm curious how Mr. Hogg's parents have their money invested.
mystang52 is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
If shoving the entirety of our retirement $$ in traditional savings accounts, CD's, or, even better yet a mattress could sustain us, we'd do it.
But that money you put into savings accounts and CDs gets loaned out, often to businesses. How could you be sure that you aren't helping to fund a "bad" thing?

Quote:
The expense fees and returns of the more "socially responsible" funds could end up undermining our retirements.
I agree. I think a "socially conscious" individual can do the most practical good by investing in low-cost index funds and using the returns to directly support the good causes in which they believe. Yes, you'll own stock in some companies you might not like, but somebody was going to own those stocks anyway (it might be me!), and by shunning them you do very little to "hurt" the company.
And boycotting Vanguard? There are >very< few companies that have done more to benefit average people than Vanguard.
samclem is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But that money you put into savings accounts and CDs gets loaned out, often to businesses. How could you be sure that you aren't helping to fund a "bad" thing?

I agree. I think a "socially conscious" individual can do the most practical good by investing in low-cost index funds and using the returns to directly support the good causes in which they believe. Yes, you'll own stock in some companies you might not like, but somebody was going to own those stocks anyway (it might be me!), and by shunning them you do very little to "hurt" the company.
And boycotting Vanguard? There are >very< few companies that have done more to benefit average people than Vanguard.
Very well said on both counts! On the first, you are correct, once that money is out of our hands, there is little certainty in where and with whom it is invested.

On the second; yes it is about that old adage of voting with one's wallet by supporting organizations and causes reflective of one's values.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Like people, causes get 15 minutes of fame and then "the next big event" comes to the forefront and your cause becomes yesterday's news. Then you need to do something to reset that 15 minute clock. Hence today's announcement.
Well stated. It would be best just to ignore him. But news is news & good news doesn't sell. It's happening right here @ ERF. Just to make this post, I had to 'sign off' on some ridiculous agreement to be extra careful because this is considered a HOT TOPIC!

LOL
Old 04-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #38

Quote:
.................If shoving the entirety of our retirement $$ in traditional savings accounts, CD's, or, even better yet a mattress could sustain us, we'd do it.
traditional savings = funding warmongering government
CD's = dealing with oppressive banks
mattress = dealing with evil mattress companies (okay maybe they are good guys)

I am evaluating the "bury money in a can in the back yard" strategy. But I can't come up with a socially responsible can manufacturer. Apparently they use a can liner that some find objectionable.
flintnational is offline   Reply
New book
Old 04-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #39

New book

Looks to me like a marketing campaign for his new book: Parkland survivors David Hogg and Lauren Hogg to publish book #NeverAgain | EW.com

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
I am evaluating the "bury money in a can in the back yard" strategy. But I can't come up with a socially responsible can manufacturer. Apparently they use a can liner that some find objectionable.
Maybe bury it an empty coffee can? A Fair Trade one, of course.