Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Candidate's Plan to Save Social Security
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Candidate's Plan to Save Social Security

A presidential candidate [mod edit] just told Neil Cavuto in an interview that his plan for Social Security is to gradually over two years increase the retirement age by two years. He also mentioned that he felt retirees with $3M or more and/or receiving more than $200,000 yearly in retirement income, would lose their Social security and would probably be happy to give up their Social Security for someone in need.

I'm just curious as to everyone's thoughts on this. I don't fall into this category, but I have enough that I could get caught in a means tested plan like this. For my retirement plan to work, I really need 75% of my Social Security. I'm concerned that someone will decide that I saved too much and don't deserve to get my Social Security, that I paid into for years.

I just realized this may also belong to the political thread, so I understand if it is moved.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think those cut-offs are more than generous and wouldn't be surprised if SS was reduced on a gradual basis before those limits. If I had $100K/yr pension I wouldn't expect to get SS and would not mind giving it to someone who worked for 30 years and is only getting $800/mo.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #3

A candidate who is not currently even the front runner for his party's nomination has a plan.

Do you realize how many hurdles that has to overcome to ever become legislation?

Don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Because the limits mentioned ($3MM in assets and/or $200k in income) are fairly high, it's going to be tough to build a case that having your SS trimmed through means testing is going to be a true hardship for you.

I think the real issue is how much of the burden of our SS should today's young people bear vs how much we geezers should bear ourselves. Frankly, I'm a big boy and I'm ready to pull up my diaper and share the pain. I don't think today's young people should be paying increasing amounts into SS and waiting longer and longer to collect to fund gray beards who can get by on a bit less.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

What if you didn't have a pension or anything other than savings that you couldn't get a safe withdrawal rate from without a high equity position, which is risky? Just seems to penalize us for working hard and living beneath our means. A pension, of course would be great, but many only have savings.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think those cut-offs are more than generous and wouldn't be surprised if SS was reduced on a gradual basis before those limits. If I had $100K/yr pension I wouldn't expect to get SS and would not mind giving it to someone who worked for 30 years and is only getting $800/mo.
Could that be because it seems you wouldn't be affected? I believe that those who paid into social security will not be happy to give it to someone else. If they felt inclined to give money away, they already can. I prefer to choose my own charity, thank you...
Old 11-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I was actually making that much, and retired, I would prefer they raise the employment taxes, not income taxes...

There are many other ways around this.

Require 20 years of working, not the current 10.
Average the past 40 years, not the current 35.
Adjust the bend points.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 11-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
I just realized this may also belong to the political thread, so I understand if it is moved.

[mod hat on]
I moved it to the politics forum and removed the candidate's name.
[mod hat off]

A LONG way to go before this candidate a) gets elected and b) has a realistic chance of getting the proposal through.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just seems to penalize us for working hard and living beneath our means.
Much of our Federal Income Tax (graduated) system relies on penalizing people for working harder. Say "No!" to overtime, stay in the 15% tax bracket. Say "Yes!" to overtime and wind up in the 25% tax bracket.

Attaching further means testing to SS will simply make the search for the "sweet spot" in income all the more important. "How can I have the monetary resources to ensure a decent lifestyle without working my butt off for dollars that are heavily taxed or cause my SS to be reduced?"

It's just an extension of a game most are playing now.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Because the limits mentioned ($3MM in assets and/or $200k in income) are fairly high, it's going to be tough to build a case that having your SS trimmed through means testing is going to be a true hardship for you.
it sounds like the proverbial foot in the door.

and just because a front runner didn't say it out loud doesn't mean others aren't thinking it.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 11-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I think the real issue is how much of the burden of our SS should today's young people bear vs how much we geezers should bear ourselves. Frankly, I'm a big boy and I'm ready to pull up my diaper and share the pain. I don't think today's young people should be paying increasing amounts into SS and waiting longer and longer to collect to fund gray beards who can get by on a bit less.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
A LONG way to go before this candidate a) gets elected and b) has a realistic chance of getting the proposal through.
And most realize that the candidate most likely to push for shared pain (means testing for those collecting) between the various age groups in regard to the SS funding catastrophe isn't the one originally mentioned in this thread.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #13

If SS ever becomes truly means tested and turned into another welfare program, you can kiss it goodbye. Plus, to have a meaningful impact on the projected shortfall, means testing would have to start around $50K annual income and would hit the middle class quite hard. Check out these FAQ's: Social Security FAQs | Social Security Works

How many of the folks who are clamoring for cuts to SS and other social programs were raising their voices in opposition to the trillions spent on unnecessary wars? We can preserve and even expand these programs without cutting them. We're the wealthiest most powerful country in the world. We say we're exceptional, we should act like it.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
while it's true that SS makes up a smaller portion of retirement placement for higher income workers, they and their employers still paid into the system

one of the principles of SS is that need is presumed, putting income or means testing into the mix violates that principle

due to increased longevity among my cohort, I don't have that much of a problem increasing the FRA - however, I have a huge problem with income or means testing the benefit
Old 11-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
very magnanimous of you but $100K doesn't necessarily maintain the standard of living for someone who was a $250K annual earner at the end of his/her career, for example
Old 11-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I eagerly await the details of the asset classes and means by which asset data will be collected, reported, verified, and integrated with the Social Security payment system by a smaller, less intrusive government.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

If net worth becomes the basis for SS eligibility, how long before there are taxes levied on people based on net worth?

I have compassion for the poor who really need social security to get by. On the other hand for people who have lived way beyond their means and have no savings HANDS OFF!For many on this board having SS will be the difference between an austere retirement and enjoying a few luxuries.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #18

Quote:
I'm just curious as to everyone's thoughts on this. I don't fall into this category, but I have enough that I could get caught in a means tested plan like this. For my retirement plan to work, I really need 75% of my Social Security. I'm concerned that someone will decide that I saved too much and don't deserve to get my Social Security, that I paid into for years.
I probably would not fall into the category but I cannot support his plan. It's my decision what to do with the money, not the government's. I have plan for the money. Sorry.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I eagerly await the details of the asset classes and means by which asset data will be collected, reported, verified, and integrated with the Social Security payment system by a smaller, less intrusive government.
that's one of the reasons that ACA subsidy credits aren't means tested - too problematic
Old 11-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

This wouldn't bother my early retirement plan. If I have $3 million (in real terms), I'll be living high on the hog, so won't really be adversely impacted with the loss of $20-22k/yr in SS for DW and me.

I also expect there would be exemptions or deductions from the $3 million threshold that would allow us to have more than that and still qualify for SS. If it's $3 million per person ($6 million for a couple), then I doubt we'll ever have that much in real terms.