Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The census tells school districts where young families are living and helps predict the need for classrooms. Many corporations use that data in planning facilities, even shopping malls.
My experience is different.

Our school bases the need for classrooms on the number of registered students. They look at building permits and the type of new housing to try to predict future needs ( a retirement home isn't likely to add many kindergartners). What is a 2010 census going to tell you about classroom size needs in 2018?

We had a shopping mall try to move into the area. I sat through hours of public meetings as they presented their case. Marketing studies, real estate sales studies, traffic studies, maps of competitive sites, maps of new sub divisions - never once remember a reference to the census.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

The census is also used to evaluate the number of extra (or fewer) congressional districts needed in a state. If you wouldn't mind your state losing a federal representative while other states get more votes . . . .

Anyone who is concerned about their "privacy" in re the census should stop and think for a few minutes about how little/none of that information is not already in the hands of multiple governmental and private organizations. DMV, school records, public health immunizations, voter registrations, tax assessor, passports, credit records, your bank, your employer, your past employer, insurance company and on and on and on.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
The census is also used to evaluate the number of extra (or fewer) congressional districts needed in a state. If you wouldn't mind your state losing a federal representative while other states get more votes . . . .

cheers,
Michael
I was just thinking about this... Considering what I think of the representation we get from our state, I may consider it my civic duty to not turn in the form. The less representation of this sort the better, AFAIAC.

Hey, it'll also make us look like we have more minorities. That's supposed to be a good thing, right?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Hey, it'll also make us look like we have more minorities. That's supposed to be a good thing, right?

-ERD50
Not particularly, Federal contractors are required to use that data when evaluating the effectiveness of their employment practices. That may not effect you, but it could your other family members.

It is in everyones interest that the data be accurate.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

A census worker just left our house. She had not been able to meet our next door neighbor, so tried to get whatever info she could from us.

She was thankful that we were willing to help, and when we were done, told us stories of how some census workers got attacked by people they tried to interview. One got shot with bow and arrows. Another, visiting an apartment complex, parked in a visitor's slot, which was a favorite spot of a resident, and got chased by that guy with an ax.

Good grief! What abuse these census takers have to endure to make a buck!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I also hesitate on the DOB question. I may end up lying about that one.

If they find out about it I think the worst they can do is revoke my birthday.
Wouldn't that also mean you could never be eligible for SS and Medicare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
She was thankful that we were willing to help, and when we were done, told us stories of how some census workers got attacked by people they tried to interview. One got shot with bow and arrows. Another, visiting an apartment complex, parked in a visitor's slot, which was a favorite spot of a resident, and got chased by that guy with an ax.

Good grief! What abuse these census takers have to endure to make a buck!
Yeah, some people seem to take their frustrations out with government on the wrong people.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

A few weeks ago, an Illinois census worker tracked me down while I was working in the back yard. She asked me if I was the owner, how old DW and I are, whether we rent or own, and also if we have a mortgage. Then she asked me what race DW and I are.

Yesterday at work I got a phone call from an Az census worker saying that she was trying to track me down at my condo. She asked if I owned or rented. I told her I owned and I spend little time there in the summer. She asked if I was at the condo or at home on April 1. I told her I was in Il. So she marked me down as a seasonal Az resident. She also asked me if I filled out the census at my main residence, and asked for my main residence address and phone number. She probably knew that already - she tracked down my work phone number from an online people search site
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The extra mailings increase response rates.

When I was rush chairman for my Fraternity, we did a mass mailing to all of the new engineering students each summer.

After I read a book on marketing, I decided to do a second basically identical mailing. I changed the color of the paper from white to off white because the marketing book suggested that. I found that that I got almost as many additional responses from the second mailing as I did from the first.

Intuitively, you wouldn't think that mailing the same letter to the same people twice would almost double your response rate, but it often does.

Direct mail marketing is all about repetition. And at the core, that is really what the census is. A marketing campaign to get people to fill out a questionaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Make that a triple mailing (to date). I got a postcard yesterday, with the single line (in 6 languages, none of which appear to be German or Polish, which I thought was odd) "For help completing your 2010 Census form, call toll free 1-866-872-6868".

Of course, this same info, in just two languages though, is on the very form we are supposed to fill out. Not sure what this extra mailing is supposed to do, or why the extra languages (if needed) were not included with the form.

Since I'll be waiting until after April 1st, in order to provide the best accuracy that they say is so important ( ), I'll probably get a reminder mailing too.

-ERD50
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the basic questions that the census asks are pretty reasonable. I don't have any large privacy concerns with it.

The last time around I ignored the mailings until they sent someone in person with a much longer form. That form was intrusive, and they asked a number of questions I felt were none of the government's business (medical related questions).

The questions reached a point where I just refused to answer and kicked the census taker out of my apartment.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote