Join Early Retirement Today

Decline in Average Family Wealth
Old 08-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Decline in Average Family Wealth

Interesting recent article by the CBO on the trend in average family wealth for different segments. For the group between the median and the top 10 percent, average family wealth was 35 percent higher in 2013 than in 1989. For families in the 26th through 50th percentiles, average wealth was 6 percent less than that of their counterparts in 1989. For those at or below the 25th percentile in the years between 1989 and 2013 held more in debt than they had in assets, on average. In 1989, families in that group were about $1,000 in debt. By 2007, on average, that group was about $2,000 in debt, but by 2013, they were about $13,000 in debt, on average.

Basically the rich are getting richer and the rest aren't doing so well. Wonder if this helps explain some of the political turmoil we're going through?

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/51846
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't quickly find an analysis of this data that takes family composition into account... I know that in the household income stats, there is a good deal of noise generated by changing household size. Wouldn't be surprised if decrease in marriage rate before having children is having some impact in the average family wealth area....
Old 08-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the summary they have the following:
For this analysis, CBO calculated that measure of wealth as a family’s assets minus its debt. CBO measured wealth as marketable wealth, which consists of assets that are easily tradable and that have value even after the death of their owner. Those assets include home equity, other real estate (net of real estate loans), financial securities, bank deposits, defined contribution pension accounts, and business equity.
For most of these listed, they have appreciated in that time frame, some more than others, so if you had assets, they grew. If you didn't, well the results speak for themselves.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

With all the folks on this forum trying to stay not-rich in order to get financial aid for college and ACA credits and later keep their medicare costs low, I am not surprised that average family wealth is going down.

Add to that that millennials don't want to get married, don't want to buy cars, and don't want to buy houses, there is no reason to get rich anymore.

So is it such a bad thing that average family wealth is going down? Probably not.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #5

Very interesting, from page 13 of the CBO's report:

Quote:
The median wealth of families other than those
headed by someone who was 65 or older was
lower in 2013 than it had been for their
counterpart families in 1989. From 1989 until
2007, median wealth increased for families
headed by someone over age 50, rose somewhat
for families headed by someone between
35 and 49, and stayed much the same for
younger families. After 2007, median wealth
declined for all groups.
The graph (Ex. 10) shows it well: as a class, only families headed by 65+ year olds had increase in wealth from '89 to '13....
Old 08-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post

Basically the rich are getting richer and the rest aren't doing so well. Wonder if this helps explain some of the political turmoil we're going through?
I'm not sure why everyone is so butthurt.

From my perspective, the economy is killing it and shareholders are being rewarded big time. Old school savers...maybe not so much with the low rates.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #7

I just looked at the report and was shocked at how big the wealth gap is between higher education groups. Families headed by someone with a graduate degree are over twice as wealthy (based on the median) than those with a bachelors degree. Looks like graduate degree families are a bit over $400K and bachelors degree families are a bit under $200K. Had no idea there was such a large gap between those two. I would guess this is primarily because of medical doctors, dentists, lawyers, pharmacists, etc. But then again, according to The Millionaire Next Door, doctors and lawyers tend to be "underachievers" of building wealth.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

From data that I have seen, for those in the lower half of wealth distribution, most of their wealth is made up from their home equity. The drop in wealth noted in the article is tied to the real estate market decline during the great recession. The end point of the data is 2013. The situation should look better now as real estate prices have generally continued to recover. For those with some assets in the stock market, there should also be improvement since 2013 as US stock indexes are this year making new highs. This is not to say that the situation is rosy, just that a 2013 analysis is getting out of date.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/51846
This does not surprise me. It's been discussed, on news, and throughout recent campaigns. Some are not doing well, as always. Some are doing better. Thankfully, we are doing better, and will help others more this year.

I think the political process can handle this. I'll vote my conscience and go on with my life.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I just looked at the report and was shocked at how big the wealth gap is between higher education groups. Families headed by someone with a graduate degree are over twice as wealthy (based on the median) than those with a bachelors degree. Looks like graduate degree families are a bit over $400K and bachelors degree families are a bit under $200K. Had no idea there was such a large gap between those two. I would guess this is primarily because of medical doctors, dentists, lawyers, pharmacists, etc. But then again, according to The Millionaire Next Door, doctors and lawyers tend to be "underachievers" of building wealth.
I think we're both looking at Exhibit 11. Two interesting concepts. 1) Those with college degree (but not advanced degree) had a significant downdraft of wealth after Great Recession. 2) The more education you can muster, the better off you tend to be.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I just looked at the report and was shocked at how big the wealth gap is between higher education groups. Families headed by someone with a graduate degree are over twice as wealthy (based on the median) than those with a bachelors degree. Looks like graduate degree families are a bit over $400K and bachelors degree families are a bit under $200K. Had no idea there was such a large gap between those two.
Yes, agree. Every study confirms the importance of education. Generally the more education the better. Especially if it is relevant to our economy. It's important to adjust this data for other factors though, like your parents education, wealth, etc. If you do this the results are generally the same, but not as "dramatic".

It is my firmly held belief that education is by far the most effective tool a person can use to improve over his parents socio-economic position. Certainly was in my case.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #12

Education is obviously a very important correlate. It is unfortunate that the cost of getting a useful education are becoming prohibitive for some and leaving many others with a very significant debt burden right out of the gate. My recollection is that the US is near the bottom in social mobility for OECD countries. The increasing barriers to education aren't likely to make this better. For the average Joe, wages have been stagnant for many years, expenses not so much.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
The increasing barriers to education aren't likely to make this better.
what barriers? service academies are still "free"
Old 08-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
what barriers? service academies are still "free"

Service academies are very selective. Very few students have the qualifications for admittance.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

then go ROTC - I didn't think it was that difficult to get in the AFA
Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #16
Administrator

Are service academies really relevant to the thread topic?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I didn't think it was that difficult to get in the AFA
Is that where you got your degree?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If I had to guess, it would have been Dale Carnegie.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I went to a state school. Paid for the first three years on my own. Big parts of the last year were covered by academic scholarships because of my good grades. I left school without any debt. At least in my case I think I leveraged a "good" education into a great lifetime of income. I have seen lots and lots of others do it as well. You don't need to get into debt to get educated and by all means get a degree in something marketable.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
nope