Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
And, unless I get riled up again, that is my last word on the subject.
Oh, come on, more words please?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
R She said and I quote, "Americans have a legal obligation to accept subpar government health benefits". She then argued with the implied stance that "to be "entitled" to a government benefit is to be obligated to accept it".
When/where did she state this? It's not in the decision. I googled it and there were 5+ pages of secondary and tertiary sources. Is there a court transcript?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
When/where did she state this? It's not in the decision. I googled it and there were 5+ pages of secondary and tertiary sources. Is there a court transcript?
Heh. Nowhere. People are quoting a line from a Wall Street Journal opinion piece (the Review & Outlook section) as though that was what the judge said.

The actual Hall vs Sebelius (District Court, District of Columbia 2011) opinion from Judge Collyer does not contain that line.

That's why I tend not to believe blind citations on the Intertubes.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Here is the issue I have had with both Fed. health insurance and Medicare. Medicare is always primary which means that health care providers who treat me must accept Medicare's rates. After our moved I had a problem finding physicians who would accept new patients where Medicare is primary. If I had refused Medicare that wouldn't be an issue.

If I opted out of Medicare A & B all I would loose would be co-pays.
If you are over 60 try getting health insurance at any price if you have a preexisting condition. Remember why Medicare came into existence. It came into existence because insurance companies would not insure the elderly.

Somehow cost of health care in this country must be brought under control. Both insurance companies and Medicare are trying to do it. But I feel the whole structure of our health care system needs to be overhauled. Starting with medical school.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I won't argue with that!

IMHO we should have more Nurse Practitioners providing routine health care. It is my understanding that by the time the cost of education & training of internal medicine MDs is factored in, NPs make more money although they are paid less.

It is a pity that so many physicians have huge education costs.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I won't argue with that!

IMHO we should have more Nurse Practitioners providing routine health care. It is my understanding that by the time the cost of education & training of internal medicine MDs is factored in, NPs make more money although they are paid less.

It is a pity that so many physicians have huge education costs.
If they were less, we, the patients would just pay twice. Once to train them, and once more to satisfy their outrageous bills.

I can't imagine any doc voluntarily lowering his rate because his education cost less.

Of course in many countries where education is subsidized, the governement controls what physicians can charge, and that seems to work, if not perfectly at least better than what we currently have in the USA.

Ha
Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Oh, come on, more words please?
Ya gotta rile me first, ha. I am doing mellow today.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

My insurance (benefit from being a state employee) requires that we get Medicare as soon as we are eligible. At that point, Medicare becomes the primary insurance & BCBS secondary. Interestingly, there was a court ruling that veterans are not REQUIRED to use VA medical services. Many vets choose to use private insurance because it is better. Learned this while managing an indigent care clinic, when we had to research whether vets were considered to have other coverage available.

So - we can be forced into Medicare, but vets get off the hook. Not begrudging them that out-clause, just find it interesting that it is not similarly applied to Medicare.

Anyone got info on how much the premiums are after you hit the magic age?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossy View Post
My insurance (benefit from being a state employee) requires that we get Medicare as soon as we are eligible. At that point, Medicare becomes the primary insurance & BCBS secondary.
Yes, same here (state = Hawaii). In order to get the state retirement benefit (paying my Medicare premium), I had to get Medicare. But then, how could the state pay my Medicare premium unless I had Medicare? So, it all hangs together.