Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It has been my observation that there are a substantial number of people in the world who are not satisfied unless they are unhappy. I try to avoid them.
Yeah and I have to work with some of them and listen to the whining that goes on all day...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #82

The high cost of health care in the US will probably be the deciding factor in me returning to the UK. Going into ER I'm looking at $5k per year in insurance premiums before out of pocket costs. In the UK I'd pay $0 and my cost of living would be less too.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
Old 06-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
The high cost of health care in the US will probably be the deciding factor in me returning to the UK. Going into ER I'm looking at $5k per year in insurance premiums before out of pocket costs. In the UK I'd pay $0 and my cost of living would be less too.
I believe you consider the UK to be your home (and I guess no one pays taxes in the UK for health care if the cost is $0--sorry, couldn't resist ). Would you not return to the UKeven if the costs were equal?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I've been wanting to take a trip to the UK but thought it was expensive compared to the US or are you just refering to health care costs? If I'm misinformed then it's time to make plans for a visit.

Cheers!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

The past was never as good as you remember.
Not true, it was much better. We had no crime when I grew up in the. My Dad had a business with windows everywhere in the building. No way you could do that today. We never even locked our doors back then. Try that today. Schools taught and had discipline, not that way today. People had jobs and never worried about getting a pink slip. Doctors made house calls. Maybe you did not grow up when I did or maybe you are from a different part of the world than me. I was born in 1947 and I can say my youth days were great and carefree. I never even seen any drugs until I was 20 years old. Nobody in school was dealing. Again you are wrong. Things were much better back then than today. Ask most my age and they will tell you the same thing as me. oldtrig
Old 06-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree. People often say, no way I would live my life over, or perhaps, yes, I would do it again if I could know at the outset what I know today.

Not me, I'd l be happy to just run it again, no constraints. For sure it was sometimes painful or hard, but big deal.

I was born in '41. Bad things might happen- polio could put you in an iron lung until you died, but bad things can always happen.

Ha
Old 06-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

I had a family member who used to say: "There are two jobs better than your current one. Your next job, and your last job."

Insert <whatever> in place of "job" if you need to.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #88

We had much a simpler life back then. I remember many days just sitting on our front porch after a work day and talking. No TV, no internet , no loud music from across the street, just good clean talking to friends and family. We were taught to respect others, something that is rare today.

If you do not believe things are bad just go spend the day at your local Walmart store and see how people treat each other. There are so many scams with big companies like WM that it is almost out of control. I was told last week that the trend here is to go to walmart and buy something. Charge it on your credit card. Use it for a few days then pawn it for cash. Then just refuse to pay your credit card.

Whats wrong with people? I say drugs are playing a big part in the downfall of America. Are we winning the war on drugs? No way.
Its just how things are today here in the US. Take a look at Detroit? Would you retire to the city there? Lots of other cities are quickly becoming just like that one. Will it ever turn around? I doubt it in my lifetime.

Hate to sound so negative but I speak only from what I witness everyday. I help my neighbors all the time and never once ask them to pay me. It is just the way I was brought up. Do your neighbors help you? They should if they can but most don't bother. oldtrig
Old 06-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 06-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
The past was never as good as you remember.
Not true, it was much better.
Quote:
Maybe you did not grow up when I did or maybe you are from a different part of the world than me. I was born in 1947 and I can say my youth days were great and carefree. I never even seen any drugs until I was 20 years old. Nobody in school was dealing. Again you are wrong. Things were much better back then than today. Ask most my age and they will tell you the same thing as me. oldtrig
I guess you didn't have to deal with segregation or the draft?

I was born much later but even the tame stories my Dad told me about seeing separate bathrooms / waterfountains is just unbelievable to me.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #91

yep
Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #92

Quote:
yep
Well that was a good conversation

Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Well that was a good conversation
Yep.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
yep
Was that a yep you did or yep you didn't?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Ah the good old days! I think our minds play tricks on us. The good memories remain and the bad ones fade away. Heck I am 3 years into retirement and work does not seem so bad anymore.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #96
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Was that a yep you did or yep you didn't?
Yep
Old 06-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yep
Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #98

Did I deal with the draft? yep, I got drafted and joined the AF before I was to go army. Best thing that ever happened to me. I was on the wrong track in life and the military set me straight. I also met my wife of 43 years while in the AF , the best one thing that ever happened to me. I gained a great woman and I came back alive.

segregation , yep. I seen what was happening. Lots of cruel things done to many people. I actually witnessed a KKK meeting on a road near my Dads business. I think the timeframe was about 1960. They scared the crap our of me and my brother because we came on to them when driving around late one day. There were lines of cars for about a mile and all these people out of their cars with the white things on and pointed hats. The old rednecks were just plain sick. Many still are today.

My Dad was a hard working person with good family values who treated everyone good and he taught my brother and I to do the same. That type upbringing is very rare today.
All you younger people here that only know what happened back then by reading a book, I can tell you it was real. I witnessed the drinking fountain and restroom . oldtrig
Old 06-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post

I was born much later but even the tame stories my Dad told me about seeing separate bathrooms / waterfountains is just unbelievable to me.
Since you were born much later and have no prior first hand experience, did your Dad tell you about the Civil Rights Movement of the 60s that included the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Act that began dealing with the problems you mention? There have been a great deal of positive advancements that were the result of those "good ol' days". Get your Dad to tell you about some of them.

Cheers!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Beautiful.

Closed Thread