Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Disturbing reason why a person wants to leave America
Old 05-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Disturbing reason why a person wants to leave America

I read from another forum about an American doctor wanting to move to Singapore to escape what he perceives as the decaying of America. I know it's really only one person's opinion, but with comments like that, it helps me a bit to find out what others think.

This individual apparently believes in an array of conspiracy theories of "bond market collapse", "imposition of martial law", "fema camps" and other disturbing "possibilities". He is asking people living in Singapore if Singapore is a country that he could go to now so as to escape what he believes will happen in the US. I've lived in Singapore for many years, but other countries, also, because I enjoy experiencing other cultures.

However, I think I've been gone from the States far too long. When I hear about conspiracy theories from what I consider very intelligent people, like this physician I just mentioned, it makes me wonder if I know my own country any more.

This is off topic, and maybe not even appropriate in this forum, but are there a lot of Americans who believe in these conspiracy theories, or is it really very insignificant?

Rob

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are some expats like that here in the Philippines, including two American physicians (well, they are chiropractors) that I know who are in their 40's. I keep thinking, so you think America is facing imminent collapse so you escaped to . . . the Philippines.

They believe that 9/11 was a conspiracy, corporations run America and decide everything, that vaccines are a scheme to maim people, the Aids virus does not really exist, that there is literally Zero chance that they will receive social security payments in the future,. . . I could go on. One believes that you can buy a "world passport" and travel with that instead of your USA passport, something easily disproved by one minute of research. I am not exaggerating at all, they really believe all of this.

Some owe child support, back taxes, and unpaid school loans.

As for me, I am so thankful to have been brought up in a wealthy and generally free country like the USA. It is only because of that that I have been able to explore in live in other places abroad.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #3

The internet is a great cure for insanity. If you think you are crazy, you can go online and find others who think just like you do, and then you no longer think you are crazy.

My dad grew up in another country, and he would tell me how encountered Americans tourists who had loads of complaints about the U.S. And yet.. they still lived better than he was living. It was a factor in him deciding to immigrate to the U.S.

Things in the U.S. are not perfect, but no country is. I still think there is a lot of opportunity here, even though competition for that opportunity may have increased (or people taking more things for granted). My personal view as the child of immigrants may be warped, but I'm not going to get worried until I see more people trying to leave and give us their U.S. citizenship than and trying to come in and become citizens.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

High intelligence is no bar to belief in conspiracy theories.

Another problem is that if you can manage to convince one that their pet conspiracy theory has no basis in fact, they will immediately switch to a different conspiracy theory, simply because that's their nature.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

They are outliers. It is easy to overreact to some of the nutty aspects of US culture. But you only need travel overseas to discover that people are nutty everywhere. Wherever you go, there you are along with throngs of your fellows.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
This individual apparently believes in an array of conspiracy theories of "bond market collapse", "imposition of martial law", "fema camps" and other disturbing "possibilities".
What?!?!

He has it all wrong...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Conspiracy Theories and Retirement
Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know a couple people that also live and breathe all those conspiracy theories...and more. I do believe that our country is going downhill...but not as bad as these people think. I am not a world traveler...but I think the good old USA is still a mighty fine place.

I believe those people need to stop listening to that durn radio and the scare tactics those people spread around...and get on with life. All that stuff gets old after awhile. However...My main worry in life is that asteroid coming this way...
Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a thread about "intelligent" people believing and doing otherwise stupid things

Why are many smart people clueless about investing/personal finance?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

He's worried about excessive government control of its citizens....so, naturally, the first place he thinks of escaping to is...Singapore

[Further sarcasm ruthlessly suppressed]

Amethyst
Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Ever notice how almost ALL of these conspiracy nuts make their claims from where?>>
RIght here in the good ole US of A....and NONE of them EVER try to to run for office-they just sit on the sidelines and blah blah blah......from the safety of their American couches....

Give me a break......
Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

When we start building walls on our borders to keep em in instead of keep em out, you'll know it's time to make your escape. No reason to rush today.

For help in understanding these Chicken Littles, here's a show dedicated to their passion: Doomsday Preppers | National Geographic Channel
Old 05-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

This is off topic, and maybe not even appropriate in this forum, but are there a lot of Americans who believe in these conspiracy theories, or is it really very insignificant?
I think it is best to differentiate the levels of belief. For instance, the subject of your post has fled the country allegedly because of the conspiracy views they hold. Others may simply wait it out here.

I was discussing this subject with someone who married an individual who came from an area of the US where conspiracy views abound. She related how difficult it is to visit spouse's home town, as many of the views are openly aimed at her. For instance, she uses email, and the conspiracy-believers do not, as the government will steal their identity from the email. It was obvious that the visits cause her a lot of discomfort.

I think the percentage of how many believe in a particular conspiracy theory varies greatly depending on many things, but it is significant.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
He's worried about excessive government control of its citizens....so, naturally, the first place he thinks of escaping to is...Singapore

[Further sarcasm ruthlessly suppressed]

Amethyst
No kidding. This just came across the wire this morning: Singapore to regulate Yahoo!, other online news sites
Old 05-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
For those of you that don't want to follow the link, this is a thread on M* forum where Rob starts the same exact thread.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
There are some expats like that here in the Philippines, including two American physicians (well, they are chiropractors) that I know who are in their 40's. I keep thinking, so you think America is facing imminent collapse so you escaped to . . . the Philippines.
Heh heh...

Quote:
They believe that 9/11 was a conspiracy, corporations run America and decide everything, that vaccines are a scheme to maim people, the Aids virus does not really exist, that there is literally Zero chance that they will receive social security payments in the future,. . .
I would add fluoride in the water, GMO crops/foods, FRB, etc...

Quote:
I could go on. One believes that you can buy a "world passport" and travel with that instead of your USA passport, something easily disproved by one minute of research. I am not exaggerating at all, they really believe all of this.
A common characteristic is an alarming lack of curiosity. Much of the crap I see from my nutty Facebook friends sends my BS meter to 100, and could easily be debunked with a quick google search. But I don't think they want to be convinced otherwise...

Not to pick on any one group, but I've taken to calling it "God, guns, and nuts..."

Quote:
Some owe child support, back taxes, and unpaid school loans.
Ah, the real reason...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I would add fluoride in the water, GMO crops/foods, FRB, etc...
I might subtract bond market collapse. It's happened in other countries and probably won't happen here, but there is a remote possibility. I stay on the less whack-job side of things is by not immediatly jumping to the "stock up on ammo" result; just because the financial systems are in flux does not mean we won't be resilient and figure out a way to feed ourselves, keep being productive at our j*bs, etc. My thinking is that if confidence is lost in US bonds (a super extremely low possibility, but not zero), the market action would initially be swift, but the financial wizards would figure out ways to keep things afloat (or at least keep them from rapidly sinking). When the smoke clears, we'd all probably have a very much reduced ability to support our lifestyle in retirement, though. That's one reason why this kind of thing doesn't go over very well on this board...no one likes to think about un-FIRE-ing due to some international financial bungle.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
Ever notice how almost ALL of these conspiracy nuts make their claims from where?>>
RIght here in the good ole US of A....and NONE of them EVER try to to run for office-they just sit on the sidelines and blah blah blah......from the safety of their American couches....

Give me a break......
I think you are being too hard on them. If they ran for office, they would be fearful of being arrested under martial law and ordered to serve hard labor time at a FEMA camp.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I would write what I really think, but someone might be monitoring. "C*de" for someone is watching me.

I know for a fact 911 was in inside job. Secure email me, (along with $100), and I'll link you to proper docum*ation.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #20

Years ago I gave up arguing with the conspiracy theorists. I don't have any idea where their paranoia comes from. If you point out a lack of hard evidence for their particular theory that in itself becomes evidence of a massive conspiracy to cover up the evidence. Life's too short to try to deal with all that crap.