Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Does Obama's Currently Proposed Tax Changes Affect Us?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Does Obama's Currently Proposed Tax Changes Affect Us?

Hi. I was just wondering if Obama's currently proposed tax changes will affect those of us who are either close to entering early retirement or who have recently entered into early retirement.

I know that he was proposing raising taxes on 529 accounts, but that he recently dropped that proposal. That personally would not have affected me, but are there other proposals that would likely have a positive/negative effect on our ability to FIRE?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico08 View Post
but are there other proposals that would likely have a positive/negative effect on our ability to FIRE?
Is there a specific proposal you wish to discuss?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hi. I was just wondering if Obama's currently proposed tax changes will affect those of us who are either close to entering early retirement or who have recently entered into early retirement.

I know that he was proposing raising taxes on 529 accounts, but that he recently dropped that proposal. That personally would not have affected me, but are there other proposals that would likely have a positive/negative effect on our ability to FIRE?
No impact.

Please bear in mind that proposals are just that, and are unlikely to survive the first committee meeting that they are presented at. Anyone may contact their elected representatives and make a proposal.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi. I am not familiar with all of his proposals, but I thought he was proposing something about increasing taxes on capital gains and dividend income, and I thought that could affect us.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hi. I am not familiar with all of his proposals, but I thought he was proposing something about increasing taxes on capital gains and dividend income, and I thought that could affect us.
According to Reuters, this would apply to couples earning $500k or more. If that impacts "us" I'm in the wrong crowd.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As M Paquette said, what any President 'proposes' means little. Laws start, and must get through Congress.

The President has veto power (but that just stops things, different than pushing an agenda - except as a bargaining chip). And a 'proposal' might help get public support, people can then push Congress to present laws for POTUS signature.

If the earlier Congresses didn't already pass tax increases like this, it seems unlikely that the present Congress will. I think the proposals are just 'posturing' for political gain among the base.

-ERD50
Old 02-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #7

Looking at the Reuters' link, none of them impact me.

But, that hardly matters. Given DC politics, Obama proposals are DOA in the House.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #8

I agree that there is little chance any of the proposed new taxes from the President will have any any chance of passing this congress, but they do serve two purposes:

1. Feed the base

The proposals make many of the President's core supporters happy

2. Trial balloons

It gets these ideas in front of people to see the reaction. For example:

The 529 proposal generated a lot of opposition and was quickly backed away from. Good news (IMHO) in that it would set a precedent for monkeying with tax privileged accounts. Having the government make substantial changes to IRAs is a concern of many here.

One that didn't get much attention was the proposed changes to the estate tax. He proposed lowering the exemption from $5.25M to $3.5M. This would have impact on many in this forum, especially when planning how to deal with surviving spouses. It would bring back the need for AB trusts for many.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year he was going to take away the spousal benefit because rich people don't need them. That went no where.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #10

one of the proposals was something that was in the news before this latest round of proposals... that is requiring RMDs from Roth accounts. Again... likelihood of survival?
Old 02-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Saddle View Post
Last year he was going to take away the spousal benefit because rich people don't need them. That went no where.
I've found that just some occasional flowers and kind words helps the spousal benefits.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

One trial balloon was to require MRDs from Roths. Any news on that one?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nobody's proposals affect us as early retirees.

Proposals are not even worth bothering with unless they actually make it to the House floor. Before that, they're just grist for the Sunday Morning Parade of Talking Heads and filler for cable news.

Ignore them, or send a letter to your favorite Congresscritter if that makes you feel better.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Nobody's proposals affect us as early retirees.

Proposals are not even worth bothering with unless they actually make it to the House floor. Before that, they're just grist for the Sunday Morning Parade of Talking Heads and filler for cable news.

Ignore them, or send a letter to your favorite Congresscritter if that makes you feel better.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

With more "free time" in retirement I have to guard myself against worrying about things I wouldn't have if I was busy working and running around with my hair on fire. I have as much income now than I had when working, yet I watch my budget more even though it was no problem while working without one.
Although I am not as bad as my friends Dad is. He watches Fox News 24/7 and has become convinced ISIS terrorists are going to hit his small Midwest town of 1200 people in the middle of nowhere!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Although I am not as bad as my friends Dad is. He watches Fox News 24/7 and has become convinced ISIS terrorists are going to hit his small Midwest town of 1200 people in the middle of nowhere!
Now there is a guy who needs to go down to the pound, take in a homeless puppy or dog, and take him for a walk three or four times a day instead of watching TV!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Now there is a guy who needs to go down to the pound, take in a homeless puppy or dog, and take him for a walk three or four times a day instead of watching TV!

I know "my world" has shrunk somewhat since retirement. But I need to still be vigilant in making sure I do not become like that!

Old 02-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I know "my world" has shrunk somewhat since retirement. But I need to still be vigilant in making sure I do not become like that!

It's sort of odd though. His world hasn't shrunk - since he's attached to news programming and feels like what's happening overseas as shown on TV could be next door.

It's more like he's disconnected from his immediate surroundings and is living inside his (international) TV!

If people get more involved in what is happening locally - whether getting out and enjoying parks and wildlife or more organized activities involving other people - what is happening in the "bigger world" as shown on TV becomes less important, and certainly less immediate.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
According to Reuters, this would apply to couples earning $500k or more. If that impacts "us" I'm in the wrong crowd.
But many here could be adversely affected by the expanded cap gains tax assessment for non-spousal inheritance (>$200k cap gains, >$500k homes, and, according to Reuters, ALL "personal property"). Folks would have to pay those CG taxes now (vs when selling the property) if they inherited Uncle Joe's car, coin collection, family vacation cabin, etc. It would be a damn shame to be forced to sell a family heirloom (e.g. jewelry item) due to an immediate CG tax liability

But as has been said, these are not serious proposals as they will go no where in the House or Senate.

IMHO- These proposals are quite sad. We really do need a major overhaul of our bloated and illogical tax code, but these "play to the base" proposals did nothing but further polarize the situation.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #19
Administrator

Thanks folks for a lively discussion on things that will never happen.

Closed Thread