Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Does our country's debt of $18T worry you?
Old 12-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Does our country's debt of $18T worry you?

I'll stay away from the politics, because all of our elected officials share the blame,....but..... Does our huge national debt have you concerned? $18 trillion and climbing....that's hard to wrap my brain around. There's a couple of my few remaining brain cells that think..."this can't continue,....soon, our economy is going to collapse". And then there is this huge racial divide and people talking about the coming race wars, and/or civil war, and the increasing police state we live in, where civil liberties aren't valued much. And then there's some of the ugly things happening around the globe....just pick a spot.
I don't usually pay much attention to the extremists on either end, but dang....this is getting ugly.
So, do you think the economy will collapse? In your lifetime?

It's both fascinating and scary to watch this play out. Especially when we don't know how it might impact us and our families.

Thoughts?

Okay....just venting a little.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Does our countries debt of $18T worry you?
Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does our countries debt of $18T worry you?

N B 4 Porky...

Plenty concerned, but I honestly don't think things are any worse than they were in the past, all things considered.

Most of that stuff, such as it exists, didn't just pop up yesterday, and those beating the drum the loudest have an agenda, and/or are trying to sell you something...

Edited to add, I'm more worried about unfunded liabilities, but I'll likely have shed my mortal coil by then...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I try not to worry about things I have no control over. I don't alwys do a very good job of sticking to that, but the older I get, the easier it seems to be. Really, I feel like the only input I have on the deficit is to vote, and that I do. My worrying isn't going to fix congress, unfortunately.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

Net worth $123.8 Trillion. Debt $18 Trillion. Nah.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financi..._United_States
Old 12-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Considering that the government is financing the debt with negative real interest rates I would say they are pure genius.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
They owe some of that to me, so they better not default.

But if it became too much they could just wipe it out to zero, and default like Russia, Venezuela, etc have done in the past. After all Bankruptcy is your right !
Old 12-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #7

Not worried in the least. We can print the money to eliminate the debt.

Other countries are printing money faster than we can, so we are at best staying even.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #8

bentley - I don't want to be dismissive of the current challenges facing us as a society, or to the delicate balance of international relations, but there have been many times in the past when our world seemed like a very uncertain and scary place - and we are still here. Just a few decades ago, we were building nuclear fallout shelters in our backyards!

Oh - and what the others said about the national debt.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

History. Our debt/GDP ratio has been worse. And our rate of change of said ratio is good compared to other historical periods.

The best of times if you are a financial cat - or an ER.

heh heh heh - also am a big fan of the OWL school of economics as espoused here in Kansas City at UMKC. I need a fat cat symbol here -

Hint: Dr Stephanie Kelton
Old 12-21-2014, 04:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I try not to worry about things I have no control over. I don't alwys do a very good job of sticking to that, but the older I get, the easier it seems to be. Really, I feel like the only input I have on the deficit is to vote, and that I do. My worrying isn't going to fix congress, unfortunately.
+1 I would have included the White House with Congress in the cartoon below.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:15 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to think about it a lot, but the older I get the less I seem to think/worry about it.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Considering that the government is financing the debt with negative real interest rates I would say they are pure genius.

We are probably like Japan, 20 years later we might still have negative interest rate.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Everything I read convinces me that we can easily accommodate the degree of debt we have incurred. The gross amount seems intuitively alarming but I think that is largely due to viewing it as if we were talking about household debt rather than sovereign debt. They are two different animals. More than anything else I worry that debt fear mongering prevents us from making the investment needed to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Everything I read convinces me that we can easily accommodate the degree of debt we have incurred. The gross amount seems intuitively alarming but I think that is largely due to viewing it as if we were talking about household debt rather than sovereign debt. They are two different animals. More than anything else I worry that debt fear mongering prevents us from making the investment needed to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure.
+1

It is too bad that we are missing out on this opportunity to rebuild infrastructure while interests rates are low. It would also help with the employment situation. I think it would even help with the feelings of unrest if more people had meaningful work to do and we would be better situated to grow in the future.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #16

Reviewing the list, I'm reminded that there are powerful interests - found in politics and the media, in particular - that believe their own fortunes will be increased by keeping their follower's mood somewhere in the M-X range.

No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Old 12-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Crisis fatigue here.
As long as the lights stay on and the checks keep coming in: don't care.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It bothers me when I think about it.... but, I do not think about it that often...

The debt allows us to consume more than we can afford in real time... I would say in olden times deficit spending was more of a mortgage on real assets.... bridges, roads, other infrastructure.... but it now seems to be for just regular spending...
Old 12-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
I'll stay away from the politics, because all of our elected officials share the blame,....but..... Does our huge national debt have you concerned? $18 trillion and climbing....that's hard to wrap my brain around. There's a couple of my few remaining brain cells that think..."this can't continue,....soon, our economy is going to collapse". And then there is this huge racial divide and people talking about the coming race wars, and/or civil war, and the increasing police state we live in, where civil liberties aren't valued much. And then there's some of the ugly things happening around the globe....just pick a spot.
I don't usually pay much attention to the extremists on either end, but dang....this is getting ugly.
So, do you think the economy will collapse? In your lifetime?

It's both fascinating and scary to watch this play out. Especially when we don't know how it might impact us and our families.

Thoughts?

Okay....just venting a little.
Well, they might have to change the Gettysburg address to.....FOR THE CORPORATION BY THE CORPORATION.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Well, they might have to change the Gettysburg address to.....FOR THE CORPORATION BY THE CORPORATION.
Sorry, don't believe this comment belongs in here.
Closed Thread