Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do not think that there should be any cost to obtain and maintain a voter ID. We are entitled to vote by virtue of our citizenship and in which election by our place of residency. The associated cost is the cost of a democracy. By that thinking why not charge a fee for each office you mark your vote? After all it costs money to tally them. It is not a question of the ability to pay the fee, it is illegal IMHO.

Oregon and Washington are both vote by mail. When we had polling places I didn't ever present ID because, probably, I was personally known (or maybe notorious ) but I did bring my voter registration card. The identification after registration for vote by mail is a comparison of signatures on the envelope to my signature sample provided at registration. For older folks, the blind or the sick, whose signature has changed or who is unable to sign another person can certify the identity of the signer on the envelope or the voter can update their signature with the registrar.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I do not think that there should be any cost to obtain and maintain a voter ID. We are entitled to vote by virtue of our citizenship and in which election by our place of residency. The associated cost is the cost of a democracy. By that thinking why not charge a fee for each office you mark your vote? After all it costs money to tally them. It is not a question of the ability to pay the fee, it is illegal IMHO.

Oregon and Washington are both vote by mail. When we had polling places I didn't ever present ID because, probably, I was personally known (or maybe notorious ) but I did bring my voter registration card. The identification after registration for vote by mail is a comparison of signatures on the envelope to my signature sample provided at registration. For older folks, the blind or the sick, whose signature has changed or who is unable to sign another person can certify the identity of the signer on the envelope or the voter can update their signature with the registrar.
I have no problem with that, IMHO it would be one of the BEST uses of taxpayer money in my lifetime.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

FinanceDude, here's a tidbit from Voter ID: State Requirements:

Quote:
The federal help america vote act mandates that all states require identification from first-time voters who registered to vote by mail and did not provide verification of their identification with their mail-in voter registration.

Also from the above National Conference of State Legislatures website, twenty-seven states request/require ID for voting thereafter (Illinois does not--you just tell them who you are--nor does Minnesota, another Wisconsin neighbor). But, "in no state is a voter who cannot produce identification turned away from the polls—all states have some sort of recourse for voters without identification to cast a vote." Wisconsin is hardly unique in not requiring ID.

I don't think many elections are influenced by people trying to vote fraudulently (there are so many more efficient ways to steal elections, at least in Chicago ).
Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Also from the above National Conference of State Legislatures website, twenty-seven states request/require ID for voting thereafter (Illinois does not--you just tell them who you are--nor does Minnesota, another Wisconsin neighbor). But, "in no state is a voter who cannot produce identification turned away from the polls—all states have some sort of recourse for voters without identification to cast a vote." Wisconsin is hardly unique in not requiring ID.

I don't think many elections are influenced by people trying to vote fraudulently (there are so many more efficient ways to steal elections, at least in Chicago ).
Maybe, but there is an underreported newstory from Dane County, home to Madison and the State Capitol. Apparently, there were 10,000 ballots cast for Joanne Kloppenburg, but the ballot was empty other than that. The residents of Madison had a hotly contested mayoral race, a hotly contested county executive race, etc. So, 10,000 supposed residents of Dane County ONLY voted for the Supreme Court Justice race, when there were other races that directly affect them? Sounds fishy, and the state govt election bureau is investigating...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Maybe, but there is an underreported newstory from Dane County, home to Madison and the State Capitol. Apparently, there were 10,000 ballots cast for Joanne Kloppenburg, but the ballot was empty other than that. The residents of Madison had a hotly contested mayoral race, a hotly contested county executive race, etc. So, 10,000 supposed residents of Dane County ONLY voted for the Supreme Court Justice race, when there were other races that directly affect them? Sounds fishy, and the state govt election bureau is investigating...........
That is exactly what I mean when I say there are more efficient ways to steal an election than unregistered voters showing up. You don't send in 10,000 fraudulent voters--you steal the election in the counts.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
It may be that the judicial election is the only one they really felt directly effected them, or that their family/friends raised as a hot issue, it doesn't mean that the vote was improper.

There appears to be more than one dead fish in this election.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Did I mention that my daughter has your son in her class
Nice.