Join Early Retirement Today

Encouraged by Voter Turnout........
Old 04-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Encouraged by Voter Turnout........

Yesterday I had to wait 20 minutes in line to vote, voter turnout was very heavy. Our village had 60% turnout to vote for state Supreme Court justice. I talked to a poll worker who has been working elections for 40 years, and she said this was the highest turnout for an "off" election in her 40 years of observation.

Nice to see democracy still works, although Wisconsin being the epicenter of politics these days probably didn't hurt. I was voter number 2504, and that was at 4:00pm.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #2

On one hand, if these are informed voters this is a good thing. It may not be a popular or politically correct thing to say, but I find little "good" about high voter turnout if much of the electorate is ill-informed about the issues and has taken little time to read and consider them.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I see your point ziggy, but how many times have you heard someone bitch about who get elected, and then you ask them if they voted, and they say NO

Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I see your point ziggy, but how many times have you heard someone bitch about who get elected, and then you ask them if they voted, and they say NO
And when they do that, I tell them I'm not interested in their complaints. They had their chance at the ballot box and they passed on it, so they are getting the government they deserve.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Our village had 60% turnout to vote for state Supreme Court justice... Wisconsin being the epicenter of politics these days probably didn't hurt.
So, were there candidates who appeared to be aligned by temperament and history with the opposing sides of the recent controversy? If so, what were the election results?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
So, were there candidates who appeared to be aligned by temperament and history with the opposing sides of the recent controversy? If so, what were the election results?
Supreme Court race is still no decided, probably headed for a recount. County executive was won by a Democratic candidate whose dad is a billionaire and one of the founders of Boston Scientific.........

Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Supreme Court race is still no decided, probably headed for a recount. County executive was won by a Democratic candidate whose dad is a billionaire and one of the founders of Boston Scientific.........
Yeah, yeah, but does he like teachers or not
Old 04-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, but does he like teachers or not
I'm sure he does, his spent all his time as a community organizer, so maybe he'll be on the presidential ticket in 2016...........

Old 04-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Looks like the progressive candidate who was way behind ended up ousting the long term Supreme Court justice. Sounds like a slam at the Governor, no?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Sounds like a slam at the Governor, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It may not be a popular or politically correct thing to say, but I find little "good" about high voter turnout if much of the electorate is ill-informed about the issues and has taken little time to read and consider them.
YMMV
Old 04-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm pretty sure this is going to be drawn out for a very long time for recounting.

It is close enough that we won't be sure who won for months.

Quote:
Looks like the progressive candidate who was way behind ended up ousting the long term Supreme Court justice. Sounds like a slam at the Governor, no?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I'm pretty sure this is going to be drawn out for a very long time for recounting.

Let's let the circuit court judge who issued the injunction decide...
Old 04-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post

Maybe not...

Wis. corrects vote count, gives incumbent big lead - Yahoo! News--
Old 04-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernskies View Post

yahoo!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
yahoo!
Yes, I see things are in flux. Congratulations on your apparent win. Did I mention that my daughter has your son in her class
Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
yahoo!
IS it just me, or did she look like a deer in the headlights in that victory press conference?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The 'oversight' deserves a through review regardless. I think a recount is in the best interest of both candidates.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The 'oversight' deserves a through review regardless. I think a recount is in the best interest of both candidates.
I have no problem with that. However, voter ID needs to be the NEXT thing the legislature picks up in session. If Wisconsin had voter ID, it would be much harder for fraud to occur..........

Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

What do you mean by voter ID? Do you have Canadians illegally voting in your state? I have always received a voter registration card.

To institute a new system of voter registration may have a huge impact on the elderly and disabled who have been voting for years, they may have given up driving and have no need for state issued ID, never had a passport or have misplaced a long expired passport. Would a 1099R from Social Security be sufficient?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
What do you mean by voter ID? Do you have Canadians illegally voting in your state? I have always received a voter registration card.

To institute a new system of voter registration may have a huge impact on the elderly and disabled who have been voting for years, they may have given up driving and have no need for state issued ID, never had a passport or have misplaced a long expired passport. Would a 1099R from Social Security be sufficient?
Maybe. There are two main flaws in Wisconsin voting:

1)When you show up at the voting place, they ask you for your name. They cross check it on two different lists to verify your address. Then they give you a ballot and let you vote. No ID shown. I have presented my driver's license everytime I got to the polls and the workers just say: "we don't need that". Then I ask how they know its ME, and they say, because your address and name are on this list. ANYONE could pretend to be me and vote!

2)We have same day voter registration. There is NO verfication process that cross-checks to prove if that address even exits. Once those ballots are tabulated, whether they are legit or not, the vote stands.

There is a plan floating around that would require some sort of voter ID if you don't have a driver's license or passport. It would cost $5 to get and $5 a year to maintain. I don't think that would break anyone's bank.........