Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
gone traveling

As long as the grasshoppers outnumber us ants there will be people who feel entitled to our money. It is not just SS and medicare. Look at some of the new programs to "help out" underwater homeowners and those who cannot afford their mortgage. One such program pays a portion of their mortgage and then forgives repayment. This will of course be funded with your taxes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nobody came back on my Malthusian comment. Maybe it won't happen in the population sense but the US economy is heading that way fast and we're all busy blaming everyone but ourselves, the right more than the left, but all are guilty.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
Old 07-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraM
As long as the grasshoppers outnumber us ants there will be people who feel entitled to our money. It is not just SS and medicare. Look at some of the new programs to "help out" underwater homeowners and those who cannot afford their mortgage. One such program pays a portion of their mortgage and then forgives repayment. This will of course be funded with your taxes.
I wish all those that begrudge paying tax would go off and set up their own "utopian society". Suggestions as to what that would look like are welcome.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Old 07-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I wish all those that begrudge paying tax would go off and set up their own "utopian society". Suggestions as to what that would look like are welcome.
Easter Island?

Seems to me I've been hearing similar discussions since I was a kid(maybe age 10?). The ones at the Barbershop were the most interesting.

heh heh heh - ER'd 1993 at 49. Took SS at 62 and spending the money letting my trad IRA ride til 70 1/2 - the opposite of what I've been advised. Then again I'm left handed and INTJ.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #25

Quote:
You had your chance in 1860. Blame Abraham Lincoln.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 07-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #26

Quote:
The UAE has 0% tax.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

It's helpful because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Call it insurance, call it a safety net, call it a retirement system -- how can it possibly be helpful to have a terminological debate?

If it's insurance then I would make the argument that we do means testing and only poor people who need it to survive get payments...in turn, the contribution percentages and amounts could be much lower..you know like the 1% it started at with FDR.

or..

If it's a retirement plan for all I would question why we are so moronic to think the best manager of our retirement money would be the federal government in the first place.

In any case, understanding what the intent of this program is and us all agreeing to the purpose would help in framing the debate as to whether we keep it, modify it, etc..without an agreement as to what SS should be in the first place, I am a bit cloudy as to what the debate is about..
Old 07-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
The UAE has 0% tax.
Qatar has 0% personal income tax too. These countries have very low personal income tax rates:

Mascedonia
Bulgaria
Kazakhstan
Russia

Full list here: 2009 Tax Misery & Reform Index - Forbes.com
Old 07-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I wish all of those that make statements like this would go back and read some basic U.S. history (see below). So, the "utopia" you are looking for has already been done and it was called the United States Of America!

"The origin of the income tax on individuals is generally cited as the passage of the 16th Amendment, passed by Congress on July 2, 1909, and ratified February 3, 1913; however, its history actually goes back even further. During the Civil War Congress passed the Revenue Act of 1861 which included a tax on personal incomes to help pay war expenses. The tax was repealed ten years later. However, in 1894 Congress enacted a flat rate Federal income tax, which was ruled unconstitutional the following year by the U.S. Supreme Court because it was a direct tax not apportioned according to the population of each state. The 16th amendment, ratified in 1913, removed this objection by allowing the Federal government to tax the income of individuals without regard to the population of each State. For additional information on taxation in the United States, see the section on taxes on the web site of the U.S. Department of the Treasury. "
Old 07-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb7010 View Post
I wish all of those that make statements like this would go back and read some basic U.S. history (see below). So, the "utopia" you are looking for has already been done and it was called the United States Of America!
The origin of income taxes have more often than not been to finance war that is seen as an existential threat. It's a shame that Bush's ideology wouldn't let him do the same after 9/11.

If the US is to solve the existential threat of zero economic growth and a big deficit it has to do more than dogmatically rely on 18 century documents that embody Enlightenment ideas that became old fashioned almost as soon as the ink dried.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Qatar has 0% personal income tax too. These countries have very low personal income tax rates:

Mascedonia
Bulgaria
Kazakhstan
Russia

Full list here: 2009 Tax Misery & Reform Index - Forbes.com
I know a guy who is a citizen of and lives in the UAE. He has a great life. Nothing like oil and gas and petrochemicals to make life nicer. If this is misery, give me some.

Ha
Old 07-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #32

Closed Thread