Join Early Retirement Today

Euphemism of the Day
Old 02-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Administrator

Euphemism of the Day

Losing a home to foreclosure can be plenty painful. But speaking to reporters before President Barack Obama's... speech Wednesday in Arizona, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan seemed to coin a new, softer phrase for the unpleasant process:
Quote:
Transition out of homeownership.
POLITICO 44 | The next president. Minute by Minute
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's like when DH and about 1000 other employees were "transitioned" from MegaCorp to another company last year. Since then at least 50% have been "released" from their duties.

A spoonful of sugar.....
Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Donovan said Obama's plan create incentives for steps just short of foreclosure, such as "deed-in-lieu" transactions where the homeowner voluntarily turns the property over the lender.
Yes, it is hard to understand how this is not foreclosure. My landlord did a deed-in-lieu in January and the main difference is that my rent check now goes to the bank while the "landlord" continues to manage the property. The tenant union lists the building as foreclosed.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That's a great all-purpose term, MichaelB--thanks for passing it on. Let's see, she didn't die, she transitioned out of life; they didn't get divorced, they transitioned out of marriage; he didn't gain weight, he transitioned out of skinnyness.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Now if only these newly elected/appointed masters of euphemism and doublespeak would just transition out of government post-haste. My retirement could get back to the carefree days of yore.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
A few euphemistic jewels...

Quote:
Mr. Prince: We'll see you when you get back from image enhancement camp.
Martin Prince: Spare me your euphemisms! It's fat camp, for Daddy's chubby little secret!
("Kamp Krusty," The Simpsons, 1992)
Quote:

Dr. House: Why does a dog lick its workplace-acceptable euphemism for testicles?
Dr. Wilson: Because he can.
("Meaning," House, M.D.)

Quote:
"Whereas [Senator John McCain] had once decried the use of torture under any circumstances, he now voted against the same techniques of 'enhanced interrogation' that had been practiced against him in Vietnam."
(David Grann, "The Fall," The New Yorker, November 17, 2008)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why don't we all notify the IRS on April 15 that we are transitioning out of being taxpayers?
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #8

20% pay cut for executives -- 20% of base pay which is 5% of his total pay. In really, it is a 1% pay cut, but the peons are taking 5% pay cuts. Well, the first chance I get, I'll bail at the most inconvenient of times just to screw them.

Those of your who follow financial news closely will know exactly which company I'm talking about.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #9

"Those of your who follow financial news closely will know exactly which company I'm talking about."

Not anymore. Every day now there are wage crankdowns being announced in all sectors. I can think of a dozen in the last week. They no longer mention the increase in healthcare shifting. The news just hits the RIFS, rollbacks and loss of 401K matches.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That's a great all-purpose term, MichaelB--thanks for passing it on. Let's see, she didn't die, she transitioned out of life; they didn't get divorced, they transitioned out of marriage; he didn't gain weight, he transitioned out of skinnyness.
You got it!

It's like my portfolio - it's transitioning toward a state of greater upside growth potential.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why don't we all notify the IRS on April 15 that we are transitioning out of being taxpayers?
I have transitioned out of paying taxes. You gotta have an income to be taxed.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #12

I have successfully transitioned the project to the new manager. Translation: I have dumped a train wreck on the new unfortunate. Good luck with that.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #13

The stimulus package is not SPENDING but INVESTING. Government is no longer spending money. It is investing in, health care, infrastructure, SF mice, etc. It seems like R's spend, and D's invest.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
It seems like R's spend, and D's invest.
The more traditional explanation would be that there are "tax and spend" Democrats and "borrow and spend" Republicans. With "spend" being the common denominator.

At some point, it'll be hard to continue to spend if the debt gets too large and the economy remains in slow growth/no growth mode.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #15

No, there are tax and invest democrats. It will be interesting if you even hear the word spend in tonight's speech.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
armor99 post
Old 03-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

armor99 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You got it!

It's like my portfolio - it's transitioning toward a state of greater upside growth potential.

[MODERATOR EDIT] [Politicians have] been doing this sort of thing for years. Take something that you do not want people to understand, or attempt to make it mean something else by calling it something it is not. Just like the terms "comprehensive immigration reform" or "predatory lender". No one really knows what these terms actually mean either...
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote