Join Early Retirement Today

Orlando (Disney) looking for a Condo
Old 04-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

Orlando (Disney) looking for a Condo

Hi,

I see most seem against Florida, however, we are looking to spend some time down there as we go four times a year.

Does anyone know good locations to look for Condo's in the Disney area? or just a little outside the area.

I have browsed online but maybe a loco can give us more information. It is my wife, 3 year old daughter and I. The fees at most condos seem high and all the houses have fees as we.

Thanks in advance,
LifeIs.........Grande

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I obviously am not going to change anyone's preconceived notions of a place they have never visited. But I did want to bring up a very important point. When you retire you have a certain idea in you head.

Retiree # 1 wants to sleep late, read the paper, do the crossword and soduko, get the mail and watch sports all evening in the recliner with a few cold ones and stay up until they want to

Retiree #2 might say whoopee! I finally have the time to golf, do yoga, do art, become a bridge master, ride their bike everywhere, make quilts, learn to line dance, do volunteer work with Habitat and for their church and so on.

If they are married to each other large retirement communities can be perfect for them. I know many couples who are happily spending their retirement in totally different ways because there are people to do stuff with, lots of stuff to do and learn. Or you can sit home all day. Your choice. I suspect most people are in the middle of the two extremes above, but there is less of an opportunity to drive each other crazy when everyone's needs can be met independent of their spouse.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
I obviously am not going to change anyone's preconceived notions of a place they have never visited. But I did want to bring up a very important point. When you retire you have a certain idea in you head.

Retiree # 1 wants to sleep late, read the paper, do the crossword and soduko, get the mail and watch sports all evening in the recliner with a few cold ones and stay up until they want to

Retiree #2 might say whoopee! I finally have the time to golf, do yoga, do art, become a bridge master, ride their bike everywhere, make quilts, learn to line dance, do volunteer work with Habitat and for their church and so on.

If they are married to each other large retirement communities can be perfect for them. I know many couples who are happily spending their retirement in totally different ways because there are people to do stuff with, lots of stuff to do and learn. Or you can sit home all day. Your choice. I suspect most people are in the middle of the two extremes above, but there is less of an opportunity to drive each other crazy when everyone's needs can be met independent of their spouse.
Bolds are mine

You know, this is an excellent point and perhaps one that places like the Villages fails to convey in their sales pitch; certainly one I've never thought of.

Sure beats meeting with the 11 guys sitting out front of Dunkin Donuts shooting the breeze (i.e. talking nonsense) for 5-6 hours every day.

Still not sure if it would be for me, but an excellent perspective!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIs View Post
Hi,

I see most seem against Florida, however, we are looking to spend some time down there as we go four times a year.

Does anyone know good locations to look for Condo's in the Disney area? or just a little outside the area.

I have browsed online but maybe a loco can give us more information. It is my wife, 3 year old daughter and I. The fees at most condos seem high and all the houses have fees as we.

Thanks in advance,
LifeIs.........Grande
Are you interested in buying or renting?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My observation on Florida (after spending winters here over the past 30+ years) is that there are "two Floridas".

There's the one that is a two mile wide strip that runs along the entire coast --and the Orlando area-- that is made up of condos, beaches, Bentleys and more or less an imported environment from NY and New England. Bugs, snakes, alligators are an occasional novelty. You're more likely to be hassled by a homeless person than a mosquito.

Two miles inland and Florida is a different place entirely.
You're absolutely right about the two Floridas. I live in the two mile strip, but I've been through the interior, and I bet they do have a totally different bug and critter situation than we do. I was just listening to the news in the car and they were saying the gov't is planning a bear hunting season for the first time in 20 years. A friend of mine went down to his family room where his two daughters were watching TV, and there was a bear outside the sliding glass door watching too. I don't think that would be happening in Naples.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:17 PM   #46

Me and my clan started in south florida (east side, cuz there isn't anything in the far south of the west). This was in the 60's and 70's. I never moved back after college, but the clan began crawling up the east coast. There are a few holdouts that would leave if their jobs didn't tie them there. Recently (last 10 years or so), they moved out of the 2 mile strip (which I would say is much wider than that, even between 'towns'). There's a congregation happening now about an hour east of Tampa. The little town has one bar, and they can smoke indoors (choked me out), but they have a national homebrew award winner in town (not sure about a brewing club). Can you tell I've been thinking about moving?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #47

Sensational, you can't move from the Carolinas!

I spent ten days in October driving up to Charleston from Miami with a couple of friends. The unexpected charmer was the little town of Deland, just north of Orlando. A friend moved there a while back, and had us stay with her for a few days. Cute downtown, bargain houses, and they just opened a brewery!

Andre, definitely go to the keys. Driving down the keys is a great experience, and you will love the other keys, even if KW is too touristy for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Most of these posts refer to South Florida. We retired on the Emerald Coast .... which is anywhere from Gulf Shores, AL to Apalachicola, FL.

Totally different vibe here.

Lived on Navarre Beach for awhile which is quiet, uncrowded, and quite reasonably priced for a beach town. Lots of military from nearby Hurlburt Field & Eglin AFB. Good location if you like the ocean & are a military retiree. Not a few northern snowbirds down here in the winter too - but the area is not dependent upon tourism, rather it's more of a military community.

Now live in north Santa Rosa County just outside Pensacola (aka: lower Alabama) as we needed to be closer to the University of West Florida Campus. Up here it gets very rural very fast the farther north you go. Still quite a few military north of I-10 too due to the outlying fields that belong to the major bases. Half the houses in my subdivision are military or otherwise employed by the military.

Seems like everything & most people south of I-10 here has more of a beach/ocean culture, while everything & most people north of I-10 are "The South."

Low cost of living in most places .... low crime (so long as you move to the right area.) Traffic not too bad anywhere (except certain stretches of Hwy98 which runs along the coast and that's only at certain times of the day)

There are certain areas of the City of Pensacola & Fort Walton I wouldn't live in on a bet - but each has very liveable areas too. As to nearby Mobile, AL .... "foget about it !!!!"

(As an added note: yes, the humidity in summer can be quite oppressive if you're not used to it. We don't do any outdoor work during the summer. However when I'm out having fun boating/fishing/beach/ scuba diving or whatever the humidity doesn't bother me so much.)
Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Sensational, you can't move from the Carolinas!
That would be a long-term plan, as DW's dad is still enjoying our company. And I'm sure we'd keep a place up here (we just need to make sure we're here less than 6 months per year).
Old 04-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #50
Confused about dryer sheets

Re:

@48Fire

Probably renting would be best but been looking at both.

LI
Old 04-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I spent ten days in October driving up to Charleston from Miami with a couple of friends.
I'm relatively sure I could bicycle from Miami to Charleston in 10 days. And I'm fat and out of shape.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm relatively sure I could bicycle from Miami to Charleston in 10 days. And I'm fat and out of shape.
60 miles a day for 10 days? Ouch!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I've got a wide, well padded bike seat. Not to mention internal padding.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #54

Did I mention there was a lot of drinking invoked?
I've driven down there in a day, of course, but this was VACATION! Oh and we had to go to Disney.
They were British girls, so we drove on the wrong side of the road a lot.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #55

Quote:
Did I mention there was a lot of drinking invoked?
Reminds me of a train trip I once took from Guadalajara to San Francisco, via Tijuana. I'm still not sure how long it took, but I did make it to SF.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Reminds me of a train trip I once took from Guadalajara to San Francisco, via Tijuana.
What, the drinking or spending a lot of time on the wrong side of the tracks?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What, the drinking or spending a lot of time on the wrong side of the tracks?
Yes
Old 04-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #58

Quote:
I spent ten days in October driving up to Charleston from Miami with a couple of friends.
I had a car like that once.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
60 miles a day for 10 days? Ouch!
Actually not that much if you figure 8 hours a day of riding thats only between 7 and 8 mph. Since the route is flat the only issue might be the winds. Typically on flat ground one can do 10 mph easily. (no wind case).
Old 04-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I had a car like that once.
Haha! The punch line od many-a-good joke - my favorite being about the Swiss farmer that meets the Texas rancher on a cruise......