Join Early Retirement Today

Florida representatives send letter making case for federal stimulus money
Old 02-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #1

Florida representatives send letter making case for federal stimulus money

Quote:
Eighteen members of Florida's Congressional delegation -- both Democrats and Republicans -- sent a letter today to the U.S. Secretary of Education urging him to send the state its full-share of federal stimulus money, according to the office of U.S. Rep. Suzanne Kosmas, D-New Smyrna Beach.
Boy, I sure am glad the Florida GOP didn't let the fact they voted against the stimulus get in their way of asking for their piece of the pie. For a minute it looked like they might actually have a backbone, some credibility and an unwavering commitment to their ideology and core beliefs.

Glad to see I was mistaken...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are several million people (I believe about 17MM) in FL. I do not think ANY Governor should prevent his or her citizens to suffer from not getting the money. I wonder however, what strings are attached to that money. I say that although I do believe ALL Bail-Outs should NOT have happened.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Boy, I sure am glad the Florida GOP didn't let the fact they voted against the stimulus get in their way of asking for their piece of the pie. For a minute it looked like they might actually have a backbone, some credibility and an unwavering commitment to their ideology and core beliefs.
Any politician who would turn down "stimulus" money because they opposed the plan is an idiot who is not serving his/her constituents' interests -- and should be removed from office.

They may have been opposed to the program, but if passes and your state's taxpayers can't opt out of paying for it, they sure as hell have their share coming to them. If my state's leaders refused to take any assistance from this package when we still have to pay for it anyway, I'd scream bloody murder. It has nothing to do with whether or not you opposed the plan.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is my understanding that every State and tax payer will foot the bill for the stimulus package whether they take the money or now.
So your a fool if you don't take it.
Of course there will be some idiots that make fun of Republican representatives because they take the money and run.
Its a no win situation for them.
Steve
Old 02-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #5

Jindal to refuse some stimulus money

Quote:
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal announced Friday that he will decline stimulus money specifically targeted at expanding state unemployment insurance coverage, becoming the first state executive to officially refuse any part of the federal government’s payout to states.
Jindal to refuse some stimulus money - Alexander Burns - Politico.com

Well, it seems not every politician is spineless.

I don't agree that every politician has to get every available stimulus penny. Were their words meaningless and their gestures empty when the spending was discussed and voted on? They can stand up, as Gov Jindal appears to be doing, and reject gov't transfers that are not compatible with longer term state spending programs or approach.

I should have used a sarcasm smilie in my original post. I have nothing against GOP in particular - I think all politicians are spineless worms. Well. maybe except Jindal. We'll see...
Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As the article states, Jindal and a few others may reject some of the federal government money because the attached strings would drive up the costs to their states long term. They aren't rejecting the money to make some philosophical point (which would be stupid for the reasons cited by ziggy29), but because they don't want to drive their states into debt.

Just because the feds are spending irresponsibly doesn't mean the states have to go along with them.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yup - everything has a cost and one needs to determine if they are willing to pay the cost - sort of off-topic, but I saw where some bank CEOs fessed up and said they were flat out told by our government to buy failing banks - again, what was the price if they didn't? I don't know that, however, I see the same philosophy with the stimulus package - the states may not have much of a choice, but the price they pay may be more federal regulation or oversight into their business. Same with the banks.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

This makes a pretty good case for lowering Federal tax rates doesn't it?

We send money to the feds, they send it back to the states, to spend (our money) on us.

Why not eliminate the middle-man? Reduce fed tax rates. If states need more $ to provide services, let them tax the people of the state. That way, govt is more localized and (theoretically) more responsive to the needs of its local citizens.

Anything else is just a shell game, with a few of those peas getting eaten along the way.

-ERD50
Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why not eliminate the middle-man? Reduce fed tax rates. If states need more $ to provide services, let them tax the people of the state. That way, govt is more localized and (theoretically) more responsive to the needs of its local citizens.
Why not? Because this would erode the power of senior senators, and we can't have that. Many of them boast of their ability to consume wealth generated in other states bring home the bacon for their home state. Robert Byrd and Ted Stevens are/were legendary in this respect.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Why not? Because this would erode the power of senior senators, and we can't have that. Many of them boast of their ability to consume wealth generated in other states bring home the bacon for their home state. Robert Byrd and Ted Stevens are/were legendary in this respect.
I believe a certain ex-Senator from Illinois excelled as a pork harvesting novice until his time in that capacity was cut short by a call to higher endeavors.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
...higher endeavors...
Hey, in his autobiography he said he hadn't experimented with any of that stuff since his high school days. Can't we just cut the guy a break??