Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2018, 07:31 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Bingo. I lived in D.C. at the time and remember it well. 1981, a simpler time in many ways but in other ways just like today.
HGTVfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I didn't read the whole thread.

My wife's first BS was in education. She was told that most people are are not literate wrt numbers and that, to most people, all numbers over 10,000 are just "big."

That really stuck with me when I heard it. My experience with others has shown this to be the case.

I tried to Google this but was inundated with responses like "People also ask - How many hundreds in a thousand?"

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #23
gone traveling

The debt may not have impacted you yet but you should be prepared for its consequences, when the levy overflows all hell can break loose in a hurry. IF and WHEN something happens it shouldn’t be a surprise.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Keep in mind that this is just the direct debt in terms of bonds. There is also the "unfunded liability" of Medicare and Social Security, which is the NPV of future estimated cost less funding. A 2016 Treasury Dept. report estimated this amount at $46.7 trillion.
Good point.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I didn't read the whole thread.

My wife's first BS was in education. She was told that most people are are not literate wrt numbers and that, to most people, all numbers over 10,000 are just "big."

That really stuck with me when I heard it. My experience with others has shown this to be the case.

I tried to Google this but was inundated with responses like "People also ask - How many hundreds in a thousand?"

I have heard that also, and a bit more is that almost nobody really understands over 1 million... IOW, that is just too large of a number to really get your brain around... sure, we can do the math and say it is 1,000 $1,000.... but that is math...

If you used $1 bills, $1 million would be about 40 cubic feet... basically a pallet of bills just over 3 feet high...

Edit to add...

Found a pic I remember seeing here before.... shows really big numbers...

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote