Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Other industries have addressed that, no reason an ER can't as well.

If I go into Home Depot to buy a pipe wrench, they don't charge me one price if I have an emergency leak to fix at home, and another price if I'm buying for an upcoming project. And the same price at every HD, and comparable prices at other stores. Same with a tow truck, etc.

ERs and hospitals can have fixed prices for routine things, and set charges for the variable add-ons. Transparency is a good thing.

I think a rating system can be created for doctors and hospitals. It won't be perfect, but it should be better than nothing.

-ERD50
Have you seen the movie "The Big Short"..transparency is good for consumers, for big business it's to be avoided at all costs. And Health Care is big business now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #122

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Is there a WebMD for hospitals? My doctor has said to specify a particular hospital in an emergency. But this only works if the emergency is local.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
One other thing-insurance should cover vision care and glasses in full. And hearing aids. I've been wearing glasses since I was seven. Without them I would be disabled-unable to drive or even find things around the house. Yes, 14K gold frames would not be covered. In my world, glasses aren't a fashion statement.
As a lifelong eyeglass wearer (and basically blind without them), this doesn't bother me. Glasses are known and basically fixed expenses which don't really need insurance. It's not an uncertain risk that needs to be mitigated due to extreme costs. Also there's is significant competition in the eyeglass market, so you don't need a pre-negotiated price.

Sure for low income folks, I'd be fine with health insurance covering eyeglasses. In fact, I think CoveredCA offers a vision plan but I never looked into it.

Before vision, I'd much rather see real dental insurance. Not some 50% coverage with tiny yearly caps. (But I don't see how it can work due to adverse selection).
Old 08-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #124

Quote:
What would be their motivation to set transparent pricing without being forced to do so?
Ummmm..... Uhhh..... The Free Market...? BAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH....
Old 08-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #125

The cost of glasses are out of hand now.

I was getting quoted $800 and above for Rx sunglasses, single vision. And of course, certain brands aren't covered by insurance or so the opticians say. I came across an optician forum and you can tell it's a scam, they'll charge the prices they think they can get.

Might be better for me to get Lasik again than to deal with ridiculous prices.

You can get good glasses at good prices at Costco but if you want something really nice they try to bend you over.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
The cost of glasses are out of hand now.
Good sources for very reasonably priced glasses:

Prescription Glasses | Buy Discount Rx Eyeglasses from $39

Zenni Optical | Affordable Rx Eyeglasses Online

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

Old 08-11-2016, 10:08 AM   #127
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have ordered from Zenni several times. I can definitely tell the difference between my $60 Zenni sunglasses and my $500 optical shop sunglasses, but not really that much of one.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 for Zenni! I have purchased 3 pair at a total cost under $100 plus my optometrist test for $45
Old 08-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #129

See this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/business/cost-not-choice-is-top-concern-of-health-insurance-customers.html?utm_campaign=KHN%3A+First+Edition&u tm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=32 909693&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8zMbacDvhTz3NeaMeNdGgEOIETGlzldNpla_YmvmiWw1zXP-YYjfbPjcHfZLhCqXL9hjl38GimkBFepTAZ8EPlM7Dw&_hsmi =32909693&_r=0

Quote:
Millions of people buying insurance in the marketplaces created by the federal health care law have one feature in mind. It is not finding a favorite doctor, or even a trusted company. It is how much — or, more precisely, how little — they can pay in premiums each month.

And for many of them, especially those who are healthy, all the prices are too high.

The unexpected laser focus on price has contributed to hundreds of millions of dollars in losses among the country’s top insurers, as fewer healthy people than expected have signed up.
Emphasis added
Old 08-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #130
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Quote:

ERs and hospitals can have fixed prices for routine things, and set charges for the variable add-ons. Transparency is a good thing.
Have you seen the movie "The Big Short"..transparency is good for consumers, for big business it's to be avoided at all costs. And Health Care is big business now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Ummmm..... Uhhh..... The Free Market...? BAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH....
I was only saying that it can be done, not that it will be done.

Clearly, those on the receiving end of the $$$$ have no motivation to change this. Transparency would need to be forced on them.

-ERD50
Old 08-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #131

Quote:

Clearly, those on the receiving end of the $$$$ have no motivation to change this. Transparency would need to be forced on them.

-ERD50
I was agreeing with you
Old 08-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #132

Quote:

-ERD50
Agreed, but in all things John Q. Public comes secondary to big business and their billions of dollars. Money talks now more then ever.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
If the ACA would have just gotten rid of that piece, along with any waiting periods, and let insurers compete across state lines, I think health insurance would be much cheaper today. An insurance mandate is also a good idea.
What would you suggest those of us who made unwise choices of mother or father do, Senator?
Should we receive the same punishment as those who willingly smoke, do drugs, or eat themselves into oblivion?
Old 11-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
What would you suggest those of us who made unwise choices of mother or father do, Senator?
Should we receive the same punishment as those who willingly smoke, do drugs, or eat themselves into oblivion?
To clarify, if the ACA would have just eliminated any pre-existing exemptions, it would be better off. A pre-existing condition is no fault of a person, there should not be a penalty for it.

I apologize if I was not clear.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 11-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #135

We have a new thread on possible changes in health insurance. To avoid confusion let's continue the conversation there Healthcare insurance and retirement - again!

« Brexit! | Voting »